• No

Votes: 48 26.8%
  • Yes I'm sick of him

Votes: 131 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Cherry’s bosses couldn’t give a damn about what he said and it’s all about saving face.
As a TV program and network, "face" is kinda the whole name of the game.
What ever makes the most money is the way they will go.
And they made a business decision that the best way to do so was to move forward without Don.
Cherry’s words that got him the boot were the same words he’s used in all scenarios for decades. It’s always been “you people or you kids out there” and have never been an issue and Ron of all people should have stood up for him the way he got demonized.
Why should Ron have stood up for him, because he "owed him one"? I don't believe in that school of thinking, I don't think Cherry should be excused for anything he does forever because of some old boy network code.
His firing was nothing more than a political move and Ron had a choice. Defend Cherry and leave with him or tow the company line and go along with it. Ron made his choice…
His firing was a result of his own words. Ron is not obligated to stand behind Cherry's words, lest he endorse those words.

CBC as a whole should be shutdown. Complete waste of taxpayer money
While true, it is a public policy decision because otherwise small time Canadian creators wouldn't get funding. If you don't like it, you should vote for politicians that will de-fund it.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
As a TV program and network, "face" is kinda the whole name of the game.

And they made a business decision that the best way to do so was to move forward without Don.

Why should Ron have stood up for him, because he "owed him one"? I don't believe in that school of thinking, I don't think Cherry should be excused for anything he does forever because of some old boy network code.

His firing was a result of his own words. Ron is not obligated to stand behind Cherry's words, lest he endorse those words.
I guess the disconnect in this discussion between the two of us is the interpretation of what he meant by saying “you people”. We will agree to disagree on this one my friend. Cheers ;)

Reactions: kevistar

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
About 80% of the well known hockey personalities are pretty bleh. So should he retire moreso than them? Probably not. He can retire whenever he wants.

That being said if he's on I don't watch him.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Cherry’s bosses couldn’t give a damn about what he said and it’s all about saving face. What ever makes the most money is the way they will go.

Cherry’s words that got him the boot were the same words he’s used in all scenarios for decades. It’s always been “you people or you kids out there” and have never been an issue. Ron of all people should have stood up for him with the way he got demonized. His firing was nothing more than a political move and Ron had a choice. Defend Cherry and leave with him or tow the company line and go along with it. Ron made his choice…
His use of the the words "you people" was not the problem....if you listen to what he said, the issue was that he was talking about Canadian immigrants, who he sees in Mississauga and "downtown Toronto", who don't wear poppies. He was criticizing these Canadian immigrants. That's why he was fired.

Reactions: David Suzuki

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
His use of the the words "you people" was not the problem....if you listen to what he said, the issue was that he was talking about Canadian immigrants, who he sees in Mississauga and "downtown Toronto", who don't wear poppies. He was criticizing these Canadian immigrants. That's why he was fired.

He was criticizing disrespectful Canadians that have no respect for our country's history and tradition. Unfortunately woke white liberals lost their cool and interpreted the way they did because they see racism everywhere. You don't speak for all immigrants, my parents are refugees, and I found what Cherry said about people not giving a crap about Remembrance Day to be accurate.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
MacLean didn't throw Cherry under the bus....they both were in trouble (MacLean had agreed with Cherry in that segment) and forced to apologize - one of them had the courage and decency to do so; the other - the coward that he is - didn't. People like Cherry are always the biggest cowards in society.

I can’t think of anything more cowardly than sacrificing your livelihood for your principles, but then again I’ve always been told I lack imagination.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Cherry was toeing the line for years.

Let’s not pretend that the final straw was an isolated incident.

I still have his Rock’em Sock’em VHS tapes in my basement but he was becoming a bit of a risk and a liability as he got older and older.

His days were numbered anyway.

Reactions: David Suzuki

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
That stupid Sunday night Hometown Hockey was supposed to be Ron's golden parachute from the Canadian taxpayers but it turned out Mister Maudlin just wouldn't ride off into the sunset. Hockey's a pretty prosaic sport. Ron's attempts to poeticize it are laughable.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
CBC as a whole should be shutdown. Complete waste of taxpayer money

I know it is easy for anyone to get internet points dunking on anything funded by the government that they don't personally like, but the CBC is important because they service areas via broadcast that are not profitable, provide an alternative news source that isn't (as) dependent on the money interests that own the rest of the media, and provide a tiny refuge from the avalanche of American culture.

Not saying I watch CBC often, but I understand the need.

Back on point, Ron is meh.. like the rest of the broadcast. The only person who dares to say anything remotely interesting is Kevin and even then it is pretty tame.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I know it is easy for anyone to get internet points dunking on anything funded by the government that they don't personally like, but the CBC is important because they service areas via broadcast that are not profitable, provide an alternative news source that isn't (as) dependent on the money interests that own the rest of the media, and provide a tiny refuge from the avalanche of American culture.

Not saying I watch CBC often, but I understand the need.

Back on point, Ron is meh.. like the rest of the broadcast. The only person who dares to say anything remotely interesting is Kevin and even then it is pretty tame.

The problem is the lines have been blurred because the so-called private media in Canada is also dependent on government bailouts. I agree with you in theory, but I'd rather my hard earned tax dollars not fund passion projects like Kim's Convenience and Little Mosque on the Prairie as well as cretins like Kevin Leary, that had no shame trashing working class Canadians on a media platform paid for by working class Canadians.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Yes, but I’m not really sick of him.

I just think these guys who have been doing it for 30+ years should make space for new blood, energy and ideas.

Similar to the Sens local radio broadcast crew who have been doing the call for 30 years. It’s great, you’ve had a good career, now move on and give someone else a shot.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
I find the sports bet shilling and gambling push by the NHL, Sportsnet, TSN, CBC, etc. more reprehensible and offensive than Don Cherry telling people to wear poppies. By a long shot.

Why isn’t anyone talking about the offensiveness of the in your face non-stop sports betting push more openly?

Hockey is for everyone! ... with money

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Anthony Stewart needs to be the face of HNIC.

6315396358112-1024x576.jpg

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Should you really stand by and support those comments?
Make him as much of a piece of shit as the actual perpetrator?
Ron's politically savvy enough to explain the position. He chose not to. The bottom line position was more and more people don't care about remembrance day anymore. That's more or less accurate. But for a lot of the current population, they have no ties to it so should we really expect them to? Probably not.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
He was tolerable as the straight-arrow, stick-in-the-mud foil to Cherry but, now, he's just lost in a sea of comparably boring on-air personalities (save for Bieksa and Biz). He can move on but he'll only be shuffled out in favor of another vanilla flavored replacement.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
He was tolerable as the straight-arrow, stick-in-the-mud foil to Cherry but, now, he's just lost in a sea of comparably boring on-air personalities (save for Bieksa and Biz). He can move on but he'll only be shuffled out in favor of another vanilla flavored replacement.
He did replace Hodge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad