Votes: 48 26.8%
  • Yes I'm sick of him

Votes: 131 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He should retrieve his knife from Don Cherry's back and ride off into the sunset. Maybe he can make more money hawking sports gambling elsewhere.

Reactions: Cotton

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Never liked him. Thought it was really crappy the way he threw Cherry under the bus.
MacLean didn't throw Cherry under the bus....they both were in trouble (MacLean had agreed with Cherry in that segment) and forced to apologize - one of them had the courage and decency to do so; the other - the coward that he is - didn't. People like Cherry are always the biggest cowards in society.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Absolutely

Nothing do to do with Cherry and all that.

He just has stupid rants about that things, that everyone goes…… ummmmm you ok bud?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
MacLean didn't throw Cherry under the bus....they both were in trouble (MacLean had agreed with Cherry in that segment) and forced to apologize - one of them had the courage and decency to do so; the other - the coward that he is - didn't. People like Cherry are always the biggest cowards in society.
Cowards cave to the mob and apologize even if they don’t mean it. Cherry obviously has deep convictions about supporting the troops & recognizing their sacrifice for the country, and didn’t want to apologize when he wasn’t sorry. MacLean agreed with him as you say, but still apologized because of outside pressure. MacLean is the coward here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Who would you even replace him with? The rest of the hosts Rogers manages to find, are absolutely worthless.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
The time was years ago for this phony to go. Unfortunately as people have already posted he will just get replaced with someone worse so it’s a no win situation. Sportsnet/HNIC have been have been terrible for years now

Last edited:

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Not really his biggest fan but he seems to be doing the same job he's done for a while so idc

I find the sports bet shilling and gambling push by the NHL, Sportsnet, TSN, CBC, etc. more reprehensible and offensive than Don Cherry telling people to wear poppies. By a long shot.

Why isn’t anyone talking about the offensiveness of the in your face non-stop sports betting push more openly?

Racism is probably worse than gambling ads but I get where you're coming from they are annoying.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You have this backwards.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ron MacLean is supposed to cringey and bad, it's just part of the institution of HNIC. Not everything is enjoyable or good.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Never liked him. Thought it was really crappy the way he threw Cherry under the bus.

Especially after Cherry saved his (Macleans) job numerous times over the years, saying he wouldn't do Coaches Corner without him.

Yes, and while he's at it Take Jennifer Botterlli with him.

Its an understatement to say she brings nothing to the table/discussion.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
There was nothing to apologize for, he was spitting facts. It would have been cowardly to apologize.

Yes. He should practice what he preaches and allow himself to be replaced with a minority.
He likely will be with Dave Amber, but Amber is good at his job and very likable.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
No.

As others suggested, a replacement is not going to be better. David Amber is even drier and better suited for the weekday games. A James Duthie is even dorkier. And we also saw what a disaster Strombo was.

I still find Ron excellent and a great/fluid speaker. Maybe that's sentimentality saying it, but I can't think of a better option. He's always been quirky. The cheeky poems I can live with. Him straying away into other aspects pertaining outside of the game I don't think have much to do with him and moreso the higher ups wanting to be politically correct to appease everybody.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
the notion that MacLean "betrayed" Cherry is absurd, Cherry made his own bed and has to lie in it. He's a grown man responsible for his own words and actions.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
the notion that MacLean "betrayed" Cherry is absurd, Cherry made his own bed and has to lie in it. He's a grown man responsible for his own words and actions.
No it isn’t. Cherry put his job on the line to save Ron’s a few years ago but when it came time to go to bat for Don after using the term “you people” which is a term he’s been using for decades to describe all people, he let the over sensitive woke mob come in and take him out. He’s spineless…..

Last edited:
Reactions: jcs0218

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
No it isn’t. Cherry put his job on the line to save Ron’s a few years ago but when it came time to go to bat for Don after using the term “you people” which is a term he’s been using for decades he let the over sensitive woke mob come in and take him out. He’s spineless…..
So what? That excuses Cherry from making disgusting comments about "you people"?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He’s used “you people” to describe parents, people who hate fighting, people who he feels don’t show respect to the veterans, ect….. Ron is a weasel
well apparently Cherry's bosses (and a lot of other people) weren't happy about that particular "you people", if you don't see why I suggest trying to understand that perspective rather than getting mad at MacLean for not jumping on board to defend Cherry's comments.

Either way, it was Cherry's own words that got him the boot, not anything Ron MacLean said. I believe in a thing called accountability and personal responsibility, not some outdated old boys network of "hey you scratch my back, I scratch yours, and we'll owe each other one" sort of thing.

Times changed, Don didn't change with it. It was his fault he got fired. Nobody else's.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
well apparently Cherry's bosses (and a lot of other people) weren't happy about that particular "you people", if you don't see why I suggest trying to understand that perspective rather than getting mad at MacLean for not jumping on board to defend Cherry's comments.

Either way, it was Cherry's own words that got him the boot, not anything Ron MacLean said. I believe in a thing called accountability and personal responsibility, not some outdated old boys network of "hey you scratch my back, I scratch yours, and we'll owe each other one" sort of thing.
Cherry’s bosses couldn’t give a damn about what he said and it’s all about saving face. What ever makes the most money is the way they will go.

Cherry’s words that got him the boot were the same words he’s used in all scenarios for decades. It’s always been “you people or you kids out there” and have never been an issue. Ron of all people should have stood up for him with the way he got demonized. His firing was nothing more than a political move and Ron had a choice. Defend Cherry and leave with him or tow the company line and go along with it. Ron made his choice…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad