• No

Votes: 48 26.8%
  • Yes I'm sick of him

Votes: 131 73.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Probably. His ego has become too big. He's the host, needs to know his place and stop trying to be an analyst. David Amber should replace Ron as host. I'm also tired of the sanctimonious way he talks like other people are less moral than him, and Ron always knows better. I don't think he's a bad person, but I'm just tired of his on-air personna.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm indifferent on the matter. David Amber is more than ready for it though.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Liked him with Cherry but these days I literally cant bare listen to any Rogers/CBC/HNIC coverage with him (and his cast). Both pre-games and intermissions have been absolute garbage for a while now to the point where I prefer to mute then listen. Unfortunately the main problem is Rogers so even if MacLean retired they'd probably replace him with someone else just as bad.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
MacLean didn't throw Cherry under the bus....they both were in trouble (MacLean had agreed with Cherry in that segment) and forced to apologize - one of them had the courage and decency to do so; the other - the coward that he is - didn't. People like Cherry are always the biggest cowards in society.

You have this 100% back wards.

Don had the courage to stand by his comments while Ron was a coward and caved to a rabid minority.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
He was criticizing disrespectful Canadians that have no respect for our country's history and tradition. Unfortunately woke white liberals lost their cool and interpreted the way they did because they see racism everywhere. You don't speak for all immigrants, my parents are refugees, and I found what Cherry said about people not giving a crap about Remembrance Day to be accurate.

The problem is the lines have been blurred because the so-called private media in Canada is also dependent on government bailouts. I agree with you in theory, but I'd rather my hard earned tax dollars not fund passion projects like Kim's Convenience and Little Mosque on the Prairie as well as cretins like Kevin Leary, that had no shame trashing working class Canadians on a media platform paid for by working class Canadians.

Very well said, I couldn't agree more.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Rogers has been hemorrhaging money on their nhl deal so they themselves fanned the flames on this supposed controversy in order to remove one of, if not the highest paid on air employee in Don Cherry.
Several other removals happened around this time iirc
A pretty tame comment about a sentiment that a lot of Canadians support, amped up by rogers themselves, in order to save money.
Nobody was going to quit watching hockey or stop dealing with rogers over this because it’s darn near impossible to in Canada

Ron is plain Melba toast that thinks he’s marble rye. He was likely paid a pittance when he came back and that’s why he’s survived this long.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I can't imagine actually spending valuable time on this earth defending the 2019 version of Don Cherry lol. I loved his segments as a kid but he was a shell of himself by the end and if we pretend to care about the quality of hockey discussions, he should have been gone a long time ago.

Anyway, Ron sucks too they both should have been canned a long time ago.

I agree with you in theory, but I'd rather my hard earned tax dollars not fund passion projects like Kim's Convenience and Little Mosque on the Prairie

I like the idea of a public broadcaster supporting Canadian art. I have never watched either one of these shows but the value in funding them seems pretty obvious to me.

Reactions: Al Camino

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
I loved Don Cherry even if he had some (a lot) dumbass things to say, and I love Ron. Obviously Hockey Night in Canada isn't the same without Don to the point that I rarely watch the broadcast when the game is also on somewhere else, but it isn't because of Ron. Hope he hangs on as long as he wants to. Without Bob Cole and Don Cherry, Ron's pretty much the only guy left from the good old days.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Isn't David Amber already the main guy? And Maclean is just there for secondary stuff like hometown hockey?

That seems to be the way it should be. Amber is really good, and Maclean is still good for the hokey stuff. Maclean is still sharp witted he's just not cool, so it's not like he's too old to do it.

Also for the record, dumping Don Cherry is the best thing Maclean ever did. There's nothing requiring you to give that gas bag a political platform every Saturday night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad