Is hockey still Canada's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
Anyway it's easy to tell how much of the world's top talent Canada has, VERY EASY. Simply compare the total number of people playing in Canada to the other countries. No country is more gifted than another, it's just that there are much more people playing hockey in Canada than the rest of the World (that's the only thing that Canadians can play by the way), that's why Canada produces more players.
What do you mean that's the only thing that Canadians can play? We have access to many sports and recently we've have success in sports that we weren't good before. We've made some big steps despite having almost no money for our amateurs. Hockey is the only sport that gets enough finance to support the athletes.

Btw, how can you say that Canada and the USA are almost the same country? Have you ever visited both countries before you say such a thing? Please tell me you have, else how can I take you seriously? If Canada and the USA are almost the same, then you have to agree that Sweden, Norway and Denmark are almost the same too right? Germany and Austria are pretty much alike also eh? Oh and how can we forget about the Czech Republic and Slovakia? What's the big difference? The reality is that Canada and the USA are much more different than you think. When look from the outside, both look similar but go deeper and you'll see that our way of life is quite different. The biggest distinction is our healthcare system. Canada's laws are not the same as in the US. Canada tend to be a little bit more to the left politically too. Our right wing party is sometime more at left than the left wing Democrats in the US. Our taxation is comparable to Scandinavian countries--very high. The USA is a Republic with a President, Canada instead have a Prime Minister. I've made kind of a cross country bus ride in the US so I've seen inside of the USA, you know, the mid-West part? I've notice that the American people itself are very different than Canadians. I was myself surprised of the differences and almost in shock at times.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
wilka91 said:
(that's the only thing that Canadians can play by the way)

Wow, did you only add that comment just to be an assh0le?

I dare you to challange a bunch of Canucks to a game of lacrosse and see if Canadians can only play hockey. Not to mention there are alot of good Canadian boxers. And dont give me that "Oh, but the USA has more boxers." BS, its not a matter of who has more, its a matter of who has any.

Last edited:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Canadian_man said:
Not to mention there are alot of good Canadian boxers.

HA, HA, HAAAA!!! :lol
Except hockey, there is no other sport in which Canada can outplay my little Balkan country!!!
Maybe curling...

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Canuck21t said:
If Canada and the USA are almost the same, then you have to agree that Sweden, Norway and Denmark are almost the same too right? Germany and Austria are pretty much alike also eh? Oh and how can we forget about the Czech Republic and Slovakia?

Well, Skandinavian countryes are almost the same. All three are perfect, the same standard, almost the same history. And girls... UHHH! :amazed: Germany and Austria are also the same as are Czech and Slovakia. Don't use those countryes as an example cause they are more similar then you think.

But those girls... :banana:

stockwizard*

wilka91 said:
Do you think many Canadians would have accepted to go play in a Russian NHL and learn Russian?
Of course not. Russian is an insignificant language.

stockwizard*

TORRUS said:
Except hockey, there is no other sport in which Canada can outplay my little Balkan country!!!
Maybe curling...
Where are the Balkans?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
How many Americans are trying to do that? In reality, the handful of American fans on this board who actually care about U.S. success in international hockey try desperately to get some respect for our country's place on the world stage.
Agreed, although I want my team to win in the World Cup, Hockey is still Canada's game. It would be Canada's game regardless because it is their national sport and it isnt ours. It is probably 4th in the US interms of major sports.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
coolio123 said:
First of all, Canada and the US aren't "almost the exact same country" and "everyone speaks english" because 10 million+ people in Canada speak French and if you have ever been to both countries you would see a difference.

Second-If European players playing in european leagues are so great, why are there so many players on the World cup teams playing in the NHL and so few playing oversees:
Czech Republic-2 players in european leagues
Finland-4 players
Germany-most players aren't good enough to play in the NHL yet
Russia-4
Slovakia-4
Sweden-2
On all of these rosters, 80%+ plays in the NHL(Germany is the exception)

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
coolio123 said:
First of all, Canada and the US aren't "almost the exact same country" and "everyone speaks english" because 10 million+ people in Canada speak French and if you have ever been to both countries you would see a difference.

Second-If European players playing in european leagues are so great, why are there so many players on the World cup teams playing in the NHL and so few playing oversees:
Czech Republic-2 players in european leagues
Finland-4 players
Germany-most players aren't good enough to play in the NHL yet
Russia-4
Slovakia-4
Sweden-2
On all of these rosters, 80%+ plays in the NHL(Germany is the exception)

The US has 10+ million people in Los Angeles and who knows or cares what language they speak.

Anyway, Canadian fans care the most - but the talent pool in Canada is small compared to the rest of the world.

It's Canada's game and us hockey fans in America like it that way. If it became a US game the whole thing would go to hell. I'd kill to hear some real hockey talk on tv or radio some time. Keith Jones is all we have in Philly.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
TORRUS said:
Well, Skandinavian countryes are almost the same. All three are perfect, the same standard, almost the same history. And girls... UHHH! :amazed: Germany and Austria are also the same as are Czech and Slovakia. Don't use those countryes as an example cause they are more similar then you think.

How about Sweden and Iraq? Should we use those as an example? Are they similar? Because geographically, Stockholm and Baghdad are closer together than Calgary and Tampa Bay.

So one cant really say Americans and Canadians are that similar, becasue both countries are so huge and diverse. Hell, western Canadians and eastern Canadians are very different, its almost like a different country. Luckily, hockey brings us all together.

And ya, I like your girls too. Kind of wierd though.

coolio123

Dec 21, 2003
Mountaineers said:
The US has 10+ million people in Los Angeles and who knows or cares what language they speak.

Anyway, Canadian fans care the most - but the talent pool in Canada is small compared to the rest of the world.

It's Canada's game and us hockey fans in America like it that way. If it became a US game the whole thing would go to hell. I'd kill to hear some real hockey talk on tv or radio some time. Keith Jones is all we have in Philly.
There is a definitive difference between people in Canada and the US. Have you ever been to Canada?

stockwizard*

There are differences between any two countries in the world, but Canada is more similar to the U.S. than any other country.

X0ssbar

So we've proved in this thread that hockey was invented in Canada and its that country's favorite game.

...whelp, that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back :banghead:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
TORRUS said:
Well yeah, that's my point. Those exemples show that there are many countries that are similar like Canada and the USA are alike in many ways. Still, there are differences and I get a bit offended when people are so fast to mix Canada with the USA. How come I never hear that sort of things about Germany and Austria? To me, the Czech Republic and Slovakia are the same thing. Only the languages are a bit different if I'm not wrong. By the way, what do you mean by saying that Scandinavian countries are perfect? Is there any country that is perfect? They may have beautiful girls, but their men are pretty blah.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Cawz said:
How about Sweden and Iraq? Should we use those as an example? Are they similar? Because geographically, Stockholm and Baghdad are closer together than Calgary and Tampa Bay.

So one cant really say Americans and Canadians are that similar, becasue both countries are so huge and diverse. Hell, western Canadians and eastern Canadians are very different, its almost like a different country. Luckily, hockey brings us all together.
Yep, there's only one thing that truly unites Canadians and that's hockey.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Canuck21t said:
Yep, there's only one thing that truly unites Canadians and that's hockey.

A lot things more unite Canadians other than hockey.

Such as beautiful girls, local microbrew beer, and tolerance for different ideas.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
TORRUS said:
Maybe curling...
Speed skating, both long and short tracks. I bet you didn't know that did you? We do win medals in various sports. It's just that not many care to remember them. Even Canadians don't remember or even know about. Why don't you tell me the name of your little Balkan country and I'll check how good your country really is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad