Is hockey still Canada's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
big_steve said:
Edmonton won the cup 4 times(once more in 1990), Montreal and Calgary each won it once and met in the finals each time they won. Plus two Canada Cups. Doesn't sound like Canadian dominance to me. :shakehead

Listen, if you want to say that hockey is anyones game, you have to prove it internationaly! Offcourse it was Canada's game in Canada! Why would anyone outside of Canada care who won the cup?! So, you have to prove it on international level.

If you ask me, I would say it is NHL's, or big 7's game. And even that NHL's dominance is kinda fading since there are problems within NHL and since you have more and more good European clubs.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
The dominance factor doesn't concern me, it's other factors.

Hockey is, and always will be Canada's game. Domanance has little to do with it IMO. It's like saying that Baseball is Japan's game when it's supposed to be the "American Pastime"

MissCanuck

Apr 26, 2004
Quebec
Not only does Canada produce loads of talent, but what's the first thing Canada is practically always associated with outside of Canada? HOCKEY :D

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Habs4Life said:
They should have a game to prove we are the best... Canada vs World...

Canada would win 9 out of 10 times...
well, although it would be interesting, i doubt team canada could beat team world 9 out of 10 times. although, it is kinda like the old allstar format, except the world gets brian leetch

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
It's always going to be Canadas game. We won the gold at the IIHF hockey tournament earlier this yr, men and womens gold medal, umm what was it, like 30 + players from both TB and Calgary combined were Canadian in the SC finals. We invented hockey. I was born in Canada, does that make me American or Russian? No

Dropkick Alex

Jan 30, 2004
Amherst, New York
Bergeron47 said:
Men and Women Olympic Gold Medal Winners. Enough said.

Who won the World Championships again?

Thats the past. Lets look toward the present. Who won the Jrs? Thats the future of hockey and that shows whos going to be the dominant country later on. :)

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
Bouwmeester4 said:
Thats the past. Lets look toward the present. Who won the Jrs? Thats the future of hockey and that shows whos going to be the dominant country later on. :)

wait. Lets look toward the present?? :dunno: You contradicted yourself there. Canada is still the best for the future. Just because we came one goal short doesnt mean otherwise, although there are lots of fine prospects coming out of everywhere. Personally, I like to see that, I like rivalries between contries rather than dominance. thats why womans hockey is so stupid :banghead: 2 countries that are worth watching(and thats debatable too)

Anyways, Hockey will always be our game, and that will never change, because of the pride we have in it.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
nucks&flames said:
wait. Lets look toward the present?? :dunno: You contradicted yourself there. Canada is still the best for the future. Just because we came one goal short doesnt mean otherwise, although there are lots of fine prospects coming out of everywhere. Personally, I like to see that, I like rivalries between contries rather than dominance. thats why womans hockey is so stupid :banghead: 2 countries that are worth watching(and thats debatable too)

Anyways, Hockey will always be our game, and that will never change, because of the pride we have in it.

What he said.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Bouwmeester4 said:

Sorry, but the World Championships were won by Canada 6 months AFTER the Jr's. Therefore Canada is ahead of the USA. If canada had to give up the hockey torch to another nation, it would DEFINITELY NOT be the USA. Sorry. :)

BTW, you do realize your user mane says Bouwmeester right?

TVanek26*

I read in a few places (such as Encarta) that the earliest stages of hockey were played by British Soldiers way back when in Newfoundland (which wasn't a part of Canada back then.)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
To answer the title question, I don't think so. I think Tiddly-winks has moved on up as Canada's game. Or maybe beaver-hunting. :shakehead

Sarcasm aside, I think that hockey isn't actually Canada's national sport. Unless they changed it since I last checked, lacrosse is.

Dropkick Alex

Jan 30, 2004
Amherst, New York
Canadian_man said:
Sorry, but the World Championships were won by Canada 6 months AFTER the Jr's. Therefore Canada is ahead of the USA. If canada had to give up the hockey torch to another nation, it would DEFINITELY NOT be the USA. Sorry. :)

BTW, you do realize your user mane says Bouwmeester right?

The whole 6 month thing is totally not needed. I said in the future not present. Bouwmeester is Canadian. Good Job. You know your geography. That was such a useless fact.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Bouwmeester4 said:
The whole 6 month thing is totally not needed. I said in the future not present. Bouwmeester is Canadian. Good Job. You know your geography. That was such a useless fact.

So in your opinion the US has the best future because they managed to win their first ever World Junior title this past winter...Beating a Canadian team by 1 goal that was missing the likes, of Nash, Horton, Staal, Bouchard, Bergeron...So if the US fails to win next year, they then all of a sudden do not have the best future anymore by your logic..

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Alright alright, I dont want to see this topic go to hell (Although I think it will). I just saying that the USA wouldnt be the next great nation, it would probably be Russia. BTW I dont see anywhere on my previous post where I made a statement about geography. Saying the Jay B. was Canadian is not a fact of geography, however, saying that Canada is located in North America, as the country north of the United States of America, IS a fact of geogrpahy. Cool huh?

Besides you guys got football, basketball, baseball and golf, why would you guys want hockey so badly?

BTW Isnt Staal the kids who considers himself Swedish? :dunno:

Last edited:

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
BTW Isnt Staal the kids who considers himself Swedish? :dunno:

I think you are talking about Alexander Steen...

Eric Staal was born and raised Thunder Bay Ontario, and has represented Canada in under 18 tournaments..

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I think it's Canada's game, not cause of domination (although Canadian players and teams have been more or less dominating through the years), but mostly because at least here in Sweden everyone say that "In Canada hockey is like a religion" and "Babies are basically born with hockey sticks in their hands" and stuff like that. And they wouldn't say that if hockey was looked upon as it is in the US for example. So yeah, it's Canada's game, and I'm glad you have shared it with us! :)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For starters I like it when posts like this start up. And let me make it clear that the SC Finals was not a Canada vs. USA battle. I mean there were barely any Americans on either team and nearly two thirds of the teams were Canadian. Only Leetch and Lidstrom are the only Conn Smythe winners who are not Canadian, and even in those years it could have been Messier and Yzerman easily. But only an uneducated person says that if an American team wins the Cup its America's game. Its like when the Oilers won the Cup it was no more Canada's game then when the Islanders were winning. The only difference is Edmonton is in Canada. Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Smith, Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Fuhr were all Canadian.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If you want to look at whether or not we eve did dominate the game the best we did was in 1976. In 1972 we nearl lost to a very good Soviet team, then we realized that someone else can play this game. In 1976 Canada Cup we beat the Finns 11-2 and then in the finals beat the Czechs 6-0 and then squeezed an overtime victory in game 2 5-4.

Even that wasn't pure dominance. That same year the Russians toured the NHL and beat the Bruins, Rangers, and tied the Canadiens, before losing to the Flyers, 4-1. In 1979 the NHL All Stars (which were 95% Canadian) lost a best of three to the Russians. Losing the final game 6-0. I mean the NHL Superstars got literally embarassed b the Russians. Then in 1981 we get demolished 8-1 in the final against the Russians of the Canada Cup (even though Mike Liut played like sin in net).
So for a time period of 1979 to like 1984 there was a little bit of a question mark. I think the Russians were better than for sure then they are now. In the '84 Canada Cup we neede overtime to beat the Russians. In '87 it was two three 6-5 games that decided the winner. In 1991 we never lost in the Canada Cup. If anything we may have been more dominant then. We had Mario and Wayne still the undisupted best players in the game still near their prime. Then we lost in 1996 and in 1998 and it was 1981 all over again.

What I'm trying to say is that we are the best over the years but there has been some big mishaps and set backs as well. The Soviets were right there with us in the 80's all along the way. Now we have won the last Olympics in 2002 and the last two World Championships so its safe to say that we are the best but unless we have like 5-1, or 6-1 wins in the World Cup agianst the USA or Sweden or Russia then its hard to say that we dominate the game.

Now I believe we'll win but before I say that or think that we should look at the lineups for the rest of these teams. They arent patsies either. On the ice is where the game is won. But I'll even say we dont dominate anymore. And since 1972 its not wrong to say that were the best but its tough to find a tiem frame where we dominated.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
Big Phil said:
If you want to look at whether or not we eve did dominate the game the best we did was in 1976. In 1972 we nearl lost to a very good Soviet team, then we realized that someone else can play this game. In 1976 Canada Cup we beat the Finns 11-2 and then in the finals beat the Czechs 6-0 and then squeezed an overtime victory in game 2 5-4.

Even that wasn't pure dominance. That same year the Russians toured the NHL and beat the Bruins, Rangers, and tied the Canadiens, before losing to the Flyers, 4-1. In 1979 the NHL All Stars (which were 95% Canadian) lost a best of three to the Russians. Losing the final game 6-0. I mean the NHL Superstars got literally embarassed b the Russians. Then in 1981 we get demolished 8-1 in the final against the Russians of the Canada Cup (even though Mike Liut played like sin in net).
So for a time period of 1979 to like 1984 there was a little bit of a question mark. I think the Russians were better than for sure then they are now. In the '84 Canada Cup we neede overtime to beat the Russians. In '87 it was two three 6-5 games that decided the winner. In 1991 we never lost in the Canada Cup. If anything we may have been more dominant then. We had Mario and Wayne still the undisupted best players in the game still near their prime. Then we lost in 1996 and in 1998 and it was 1981 all over again.

What I'm trying to say is that we are the best over the years but there has been some big mishaps and set backs as well. The Soviets were right there with us in the 80's all along the way. Now we have won the last Olympics in 2002 and the last two World Championships so its safe to say that we are the best but unless we have like 5-1, or 6-1 wins in the World Cup agianst the USA or Sweden or Russia then its hard to say that we dominate the game.

Now I believe we'll win but before I say that or think that we should look at the lineups for the rest of these teams. They arent patsies either. On the ice is where the game is won. But I'll even say we dont dominate anymore. And since 1972 its not wrong to say that were the best but its tough to find a tiem frame where we dominated.

I agree with you 100% if scores is your view of dominance. We both have different views when considering dominance. I see dominance as constantly winning, hardly ever losing. You see dominance as winning by the score of 6-0 or something like that. I think that is where my view of dominance changes from yours.

But really, this thread ain't about dominance. It simply asks if hockey is Canada's game. And of course it is.

Also when I think Canada sport-wise, I definitely think hockey before lacrosse. I mean really, which sport is more watched in Canada? What name is more known to Canadians? The Toronto Rock or the Toronto Maple Leafs? Common.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
big_steve said:
I agree with you 100% if scores is your view of dominance. We both have different views when considering dominance. I see dominance as constantly winning, hardly ever losing. You see dominance as winning by the score of 6-0 or something like that. I think that is where my view of dominance changes from yours.

But really, this thread ain't about dominance. It simply asks if hockey is Canada's game. And of course it is.

Also when I think Canada sport-wise, I definitely think hockey before lacrosse. I mean really, which sport is more watched in Canada? What name is more known to Canadians? The Toronto Rock or the Toronto Maple Leafs? Common.

But what is dominance then in your opinion? What is it if not constantly winning by a score of 6-0? Hockey is never going to be dominated by any team, ever again.

coolio123

Dec 21, 2003
Bouwmeester4 said:
You actually believe the USA will pass Canada in hockey dominance? :joker:
Look at the players trying out for the US world cup team:
-Chelios
-Leetch
-Schneider
-Amonte
-Weight
-Modano
-Guerin
-Hull
-Roenick

These guys are getting close to the end of their careers. This is the golden generation of American hockey players. Canada has a lot of new, young players on their roster. Using the World Juniors as an example of US dominance is a joke. In case you didn't see the final game, the win was not exactly respectable, considering the Americans won on a fluke goal.

With players like Nash, Heatley, Richards, Thornton, and Luongo, the future looks very bright for Canadian hockey.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
DanielBriere48 said:
I read in a few places (such as Encarta) that the earliest stages of hockey were played by British Soldiers way back when in Newfoundland (which wasn't a part of Canada back then.)

I did a speech on the origins of hockey once. I believe it actually "began" over in Europe, but was brought over and they started to play on ice in Newfoundland, and then there's the story about the solidiers.

I think the first pro league had teams in both the US and Canada, but it has been a while since I gave the speech so I could be wrong.

Anyways, that's kind of a moot point. I don't believe Canada is truly dominant over the other countries in hockey, because the other major hockey countries all compete well and will only improve in the future. But I guess it's "Canada's game" in the sense that Canada is where the major roots of the game come from and hockey is Canada's major sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad