Is hockey still Canada's game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
MissCanuck said:
Not only does Canada produce loads of talent, but what's the first thing Canada is practically always associated with outside of Canada? HOCKEY :D

Not true, my Mother is Canadian and before I moved here from Ireland I had never heard of hockey.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If this is a thread about whether or not we invented it we did for sure. If this is a thread about if we are still the best then I'll say we still are.

ICS

Mar 13, 2004
a team from an American city wins the cup, but how many Canadians were on that team.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
ICS said:
a team from an American city wins the cup, but how many Canadians were on that team.

Tell that to those Tampa fans who were chanting "USA! USA!" after game 7. :shakehead Those people wonder why so many think hockey doesnt belong there and all they have to do is look in the mirror for why. (Not speaking of ALL Lightning fans that is.)

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Of course hockey is Canada's game.

But doens't mean it can't be somebody else's game too.

The more people that play, the better.

We're Canadian! What we do best is SHARE WITH PEOPLE!!!

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
Of course hockey is Canada's game.

But doens't mean it can't be somebody else's game too.

The more people that play, the better.

We're Canadian! What we do best is SHARE WITH PEOPLE!!!

But the real issue is that it made no sense that they chanted "USA!". What point are they trying to make by chanting that? That a US team with 17 Canadians won the Stanley Cup? If those fans wanted to make this an international affair between Canada and the USA they were better off cheering for Calgary as there were more Americans and less Canadians on that team. Why would they chant "USA" when they could be alot smarter and chant "Go Tampa" like normal fans would? Last time I check the Cup finals were between the Clagary Flames and the Tampa Bay Lightning, not the Canada Flames and the USA Lightning.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Canadian_man said:
Tell that to those Tampa fans who were chanting "USA! USA!" after game 7. Those people wonder why so many think hockey doesnt belong there and all they have to do is look in the mirror for why. (Not speaking of ALL Lightning fans that is.)

Canadian_man said:
But the real issue is that it made no sense that they chanted "USA!". What point are they trying to make by chanting that? That a US team with 17 Canadians won the Stanley Cup? If those fans wanted to make this an international affair between Canada and the USA they were better off cheering for Calgary as there were more Americans and less Canadians on that team. Why would they chant "USA" when they could be alot smarter and chant "Go Tampa" like normal fans would? Last time I check the Cup finals were between the Clagary Flames and the Tampa Bay Lightning, not the Canada Flames and the USA Lightning.
My only question is...what point are you trying to make by bringing this up twice? It doesn't seem to relate in any way to what you're quoting. What I'm getting out of it is this: due to the fact that some select few morons (who were probably attending their first fricken' hockey game) were chanting "USA", Southern fans prove their unworthiness and deserve all the abuse they get? Is that it?

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Sotnos said:
My only question is...what point are you trying to make by bringing this up twice? It doesn't seem to relate in any way to what you're quoting. What I'm getting out of it is this: due to the fact that some select few morons (who were probably attending their first fricken' hockey game) were chanting "USA", Southern fans prove their unworthiness and deserve all the abuse they get? Is that it?

I'm using those fans as an example of how stupid some fans can be. Why do you think I mentioned that not ALL Tampa fans are like that? If I were directing this to American fans I wouldnt have just mentioned the Lightning. To be honest, if it were Detroit or Colorado facing a Canadian team in the finals, I doubt there fans would be chanting "USA". I just think that alot of southern fans are unaware of how the NHL works, they are use to the MLB and NFL and those leagues that are American dominated and would never expect a Canadian team in the championship. So by seeing a Canadian team in the finals, they turn it into an international affair. Could you imagine Toronto vs Detroit in the finals (Came damn close to it in 2002!)? Detroit fans would not be chanting "USA" at games. Instead, they would love to see the old rivaly brewed up again in the finals and a final with teams like that would be nothing but great for hockey. DOnt get me wrong, there are many stupid fans from other teams as well, like Colorado, Toronto, Chicago and hell, even Vancouver.

And in all honesty, how many southern fans even knew Calgary was in Canada before they got into hockey? I'm not trying to inslut, I'm being serious.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Gabriel Knight said:
This thread is one of the saddest cases of ego-stroking that I have ever seen.

Get used to. A large percentage of the Canadians on this board are clearly insecure about their nation's place in not only hockey, but the world in general.

Fleet*

Canadian_man said:
I'm using those fans as an example of how stupid some fans can be. Why do you think I mentioned that not ALL Tampa fans are like that? If I were directing this to American fans I wouldnt have just mentioned the Lightning. To be honest, if it were Detroit or Colorado facing a Canadian team in the finals, I doubt there fans would be chanting "USA". I just think that alot of southern fans are unaware of how the NHL works, they are use to the MLB and NFL and those leagues that are American dominated and would never expect a Canadian team in the championship. So by seeing a Canadian team in the finals, they turn it into an international affair. Could you imagine Toronto vs Detroit in the finals (Came damn close to it in 2002!)? Detroit fans would not be chanting "USA" at games. Instead, they would love to see the old rivaly brewed up again in the finals and a final with teams like that would be nothing but great for hockey. DOnt get me wrong, there are many stupid fans from other teams as well, like Colorado, Toronto, Chicago and hell, even Vancouver.

And in all honesty, how many southern fans even knew Calgary was in Canada before they got into hockey? I'm not trying to inslut, I'm being serious.
I knew Calgary was in Canada before I got into hockey. If an American team plays a Canadian team I wouldn't chant USA I'd chant the teams name or the city name. I knew how the NHL works but yeah alot of Southern fans don't care and that upsets me. The ignorance of some of my own people.
But atleast we're good sportsman. Oh and by the way I voted "Yes".

Feb 24, 2004
It doesn't matter what happens in the world cup at all.....the fact of the matter is that there is bound to be fluctuation when the top 20 of each country take each other on. When you look beyond that however, Canada could ice 3 or 4 more competitive teams. One country still produces over 60% of the players. We should have won the world juniors. We've won the last two world championships, and the world cup. We are undefeated since 2002!

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
leafs4thecup said:
We should have won the world juniors. We've won the last two world championships, and the world cup. We are undefeated since 2002!

In junior hockey Canada is obviously the best vice champion in the world...
:joker:
Undefeted since 2002. That's about to change soon! When you're on the top you can only go down!

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Canadian_man said:
OK, I dont want this to turn into a big lash out over which country is better, but I have been noticing that alot of fans and media have really been bashing Canadian hockey, especially since the recent Stanley Cup finals. Alot of people believe its no longer Canada's game and that it "rightfully" belongs to the USA, Russia, ect. I honostly do not know who to believe. I was far too young to experience the Canadian hockey dominance of the 1980's so I don't know how "real" Canadian hockey is suppose to be like. Is hockey still our game???

And if you want to bash me for starting this thread, go ahead, I dont care.
I think its your game and always will be its your national sport. In the US its a regional sport and has along way to go before it will mean as much to the average american sports fan as it does to Canadians. just my 2 cents.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
psycho_dad said:
The whole idea of someone owning hockey is idiotic.

It's Canadas game, It's Finlands game, It's Czechs game.....anyones game.

I agree completely! :handclap:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
SpezNc said:
We invented BasketBall too lol ..

are we going to beat Carter, O'Neill, James with Nash and Magloire?

yep.. hockey is our sport...

canada vs world in a 4 on 7 can be pretty tie... 52 % of the NHL are Canadian... so...

That's stupid because if the NHL was a Russian league, there wouldn't be 52% of Canadians, and on the other hand there would be probably 50% of Russians, or if it was a Swedish league, there would be 40% of Swedes. There's a hell lot of very average players in the NHL. The NHL does have the crop of the cream, but the rest of the players are not the best you can find.

stockwizard*

wilka91 said:
That's stupid because if the NHL was a Russian league, there wouldn't be 52% of Canadians, and on the other hand there would be probably 50% of Russians, or if it was a Swedish league, there would be 40% of Swedes. There's a hell lot of very average players in the NHL. The NHL does have the crop of the cream, but the rest of the players are not the best you can find.
You don't make sense. There are way more U.S. teams. How come the league isn't over 50% American.
You are saying Sweden or Russia has the same depth as Canada. Good luck.
You are jealous of the fact that Canada is a great Hockey nation.

Fleet*

stockwizard said:
You don't make sense. There are way more U.S. teams. How come the league isn't over 50% American.
You are saying Sweden or Russia has the same depth as Canada. Good luck.
You are jealous of the fact that Canada is a great Hockey nation.
Because Canadians play on the US teams and Americans are more football and baseball and basketball then hockey fans. NHL was invented in Canada and is loved more in Canada.

stockwizard*

Fleet said:
Because Canadians play on the US teams and Americans are more football and baseball and basketball then hockey fans. NHL was invented in Canada and is loved more in Canada.
You seem to be agreeing with what I said.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
wilka91 said:

I agree. There are many European players playing in Europe who are much better then many of their NHL colleagues. So percentage of players in NHL doesn't mean much.

Backin72

Jul 9, 2004
Winnipeg
Hercules Rockefeller said:
To answer the title question, I don't think so. I think Tiddly-winks has moved on up as Canada's game. Or maybe beaver-hunting. :shakehead

Sarcasm aside, I think that hockey isn't actually Canada's national sport. Unless they changed it since I last checked, lacrosse is.

Lacrosse is Canada's National Summer Sport while Hockey is Canada's National Winter Sport.

Hockey and Lacrosse are also symbolic of Canada because they are an inherent part of our national consciousness and national identity. Both sports are deeply rooted in our history and culture. Many Canadians identify with these sports on an emotional and patriotic level. During times of political discord, sports have served as a unifying force, bringing provinces and territories together in celebration. The importance of these sports was illustrated on May 12, 1994, when the Canadian government passed the Canada's National Sport Act (Bill C-212), designed: "To recognize Hockey as Canada's National Winter Sport and Lacrosse as Canada's National Summer Sport".

http://www.citydiscovery.net/canada.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->