Is Gretzky off anyone's Top 5 list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
chooch said:
Youre amazed because you dont know hockey. Gretz sat behind the net with unprecedented protection not only from his teammates but the NHL commisioner too.
(when he was thinking of coming back to coach he called Bettman to get his thoughts!!! Who the hell does that?? - Bettman gets him to time the announcement the day the NHL announces Bertuzzi is reinstated. Ridiculous)
Gretzky's best years were when Bettman wasn't commisioner, what on earth are you talking about?

Also most superstars got protection from their teammates, you make it sound like the Oliers were the only team to do this.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Anybody who doesn't have Gretz, Lemieux, Howe and Orr somewhere in their top 5 either don't know the game, are jealous or have an irrational hatred of one or more of those four players.
Amen.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Lou is God said:
Gretzky's best years were when Bettman wasn't commisioner, what on earth are you talking about?

Also most superstars got protection from their teammates, you make it sound like the Oliers were the only team to do this.

Really? Who was Rocket's protection? What about Howe or Mikita? The true superstars didn't need people to protect them, they took care of themselves and still put the puck in the net. If Rocket played in the 80's he would have had 100 goals a season. Here's my top 5.

1.Orr
2.Rocket
3.Howe
4.Harvey
5.Gainey

In fact, I probably wouldn't even put Gretzky on my all time team. It would be between him and Milt Shmidt for my fourth line center.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
chooch said:
Fischler and Foxnews are right - its a big hype job about 99.

Fox News is probably the biggest hype job since World Championship Wrestling; lots of talk, no substance.

You also can't use "Fox News" and "right" in the same sentence unless the word "right" is immediately followed by "wing". Also, Fox News must be preceded by "those idiots at".

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
raleh said:
Really? Who was Rocket's protection? What about Howe or Mikita? The true superstars didn't need people to protect them, they took care of themselves and still put the puck in the net. If Rocket played in the 80's he would have had 100 goals a season. Here's my top 5.

1.Orr
2.Rocket
3.Howe
4.Harvey
5.Gainey

In fact, I probably wouldn't even put Gretzky on my all time team. It would be between him and Milt Shmidt for my fourth line center.

Nice sarcasm!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Psycho Papa Joe said:
Anybody who doesn't have Gretz, Lemieux, Howe and Orr somewhere in their top 5 either don't know the game, are jealous or have an irrational hatred of one or more of those four players.

This post should be the be all, end all of this thread.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
raleh said:

1.Orr
2.Rocket
3.Howe
4.Harvey
5.Gainey

First, I said "most", not "all", check out the definitions on those words.

Second, Gainey is in your top five players of all time???

I mean com'on, Gainey was a great player, but top five?? I wouldn't even put him Top Five Habs of all time!

And third the fact you have the Great One on the fourth line of all-time is just amazing, I hope your joking man, seriously.

Last edited:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Lou is God said:
First, I said "most", not "all", check out the definitions on those words.

Second, Gainey is in your top five players of all time???

I mean com'on again, Gainey was a great player, but top five?? I wouldn't even put him Top Five Habs of all time!

And third the fact you have the Great one on the fourth line of all-time is just amazing, I hope your joking man, seriously.

Gainey arguably wasn't even one of the 5 best on the late 70's teams. Lafleur, Robinson, Savard, Dryden, Lapointe and Lemaire were better IMO. A great player, yes, but IMO the most overrated Hab ever.

chooch*

Lou is God said:

What on earth are you talking about? I never said Bettman was his NHL protector - I said the NHL commissioner was (on behalf of the NHL) - it needed a new english speaking superstar to get a US tv contract (and later to expand).

He was exempt from the draft in 1979 amongst other shenanigans. Did that give you a clue of what was to follow?

Which top 50 player had protection like 99 - please name 1.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
chooch said:
What on earth are you talking about? I never said Bettman was his NHL protector - I said the NHL commissioner was (on behalf of the NHL) - it needed a new english speaking superstar to get a US tv contract (and later to expand).

Ok, you prove it. Show me how a NHL commissioner was responsible for Gretzky putting up those incredible numbers.

chooch said:
He was exempt from the draft in 1979 amongst other shenanigans. Did that give you a clue of what was to follow?

Nope, proves nothing.

chooch said:

Mike Bossy. Clark Gillies was his protector as he also protected another Top 50 player in Bryan Trottier.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
nope, not a joke I would have Beliveau, Espo, and Mikita ahead of him because I have no room for Semenko and Mcsorley on my team.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Yeah, I figured I'd get that reaction by putting Gainey on the list, but as an all around player I think he was one of the very best. In a championship game in overtime with every player of all time at my disposal Howe Rocket Gainey Harvey and Orr are the five I would have on the ice.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
raleh said:
nope, not a joke I would have Beliveau, Espo, and Mikita ahead of him because I have no room for Semenko and Mcsorley on my team.
Sounds like some of you guys are pissed because Gretzky wasn't a real tough guy in your books, big deal, honestly.

Youreallygotme

Aug 21, 2003
Kelowna BC
this is ridiculous. I cant beleive what I'm reading lol.

There arent many fools on this board. But the few who are are absolutely astounding. :biglaugh:

If semenko was responsible for all those points why not put him in your top fives? Lol

espo*

Lou is God said:
Sounds like some of you guys are pissed because Gretzky wasn't a real tough guy in your books, big deal, honestly.
I'm not,biggest offensive genius in the history of the game,if only everyone had memories.

He does'nt need any defending.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Lou is God said:

Perhaps if #99 had gotten smashed and plowed through a few telephone poles, or been present for a few alleged sexual assaults, or attacked a linesman, or pimped all his personal items for cigarette money on the internet he would get more respect. :dunno: I can't think of any other explanation for the disrespect he receives.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
It has been my long-held belief that on those occasions that I agree with Mr. Fischler, it's time to rethink my position. For the first time I can recall, after reflecting upon the issue, I still agree with him. Must be the exception that proves the rule.

I would like to state for the record that I don't harbour any irrational hatreds towards anyone associated with the game of hockey. I do have a short list of folks, but none of 'em have ever worn skates professionally.

I have memories that go back a little further than most of the people posting here. Ken Dryden (I think) was once asked when the best hockey of all time was played. He answered something to the effect of "when any given fan was 12 years old."

I was 12 in 1969 and grew up on tales of them that came before, guys who played when hockey was a lot more important than it is today, both to them and to the fans.

While Gretzky is a talent that stands alone, he doesn't mean as much to me as folks like Beliveau, Harvey, Morenz, Richard, Plante, Shore, Schmidt, Orr, Howe, Lindsay, Mahovlich, Bower, Hull, Mikita and a mess of others. Funny, I couldn't come up with any Rangers off the top of my head.

Troubles me that the fact that I remember a time when guys didn't wear helmets, stars took care of their own battles on the ice and the game was more than simply another entertainment option might have me branded a moron by youngsters who declare that they have all the right answers.

Most of you folks probably grew up watching 99 or hearing about him from your elders. You're products of your times and a reflection of them.

Mark Twain once wrote that when he was 16 his father didn'tr know anything but that when he was 20 he was amazed at what the Old Man had learned in 4 years.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:

What? He was exempt from the draft because he was no longer an amateur since he had been playing in the WHA...

At least if you're going to try and rag on the guy, know your facts...

GO through the top 50 list and find every team who had a tough guy on it. There were plenty, including MR. PP Mario Lemieux...

KariyaIsGod*

raleh said:
Yeah, I figured I'd get that reaction by putting Gainey on the list, but as an all around player I think he was one of the very best. In a championship game in overtime with every player of all time at my disposal Howe Rocket Gainey Harvey and Orr are the five I would have on the ice.

Enjoy losing...

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
raleh said:
Yeah, I figured I'd get that reaction by putting Gainey on the list, but as an all around player I think he was one of the very best.

How so? He couldn't score to save his life.

Why is defence somehow equated with all-around play? He was just as one-dimensional as any offensive superstar...

chooch*

Pete Rock said:
Fox News is probably the biggest hype job since World Championship Wrestling; lots of talk, no substance.

You also can't use "Fox News" and "right" in the same sentence unless the word "right" is immediately followed by "wing". Also, Fox News must be preceded by "those idiots at".

Anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot? you;re more right wing than anyone.

Lou: you're mistunderstinding the argument so much, I shoudlnt even bother.

Thsi might help to sharpen things for you: do you believe that a guy with 0 games coached, 0 games as a GM, 0 games in management was qualified to lead Team Canada 2002? Thinking deeply onthis might broaden yoru horizons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad