Is Gretzky off anyone's Top 5 list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
We all know the old Gretkzy vs. Orr and Gretzky vs. Howe/Lemieux debates and we all beat our heads over it not being able to change the other persons's mind. Now I dont want to debate that in this thread. What I'm wondering is that there may be some guys who put Gretzky behind Orr, Howe or even Lemieux of all-time but I'm not sure if I've ever seen him knocked out of the top 5 even by the biggest Gretzky-haters.

Does anyone have him at #5? Or even lower. If so I'd assume it would be guys like Hull, Beliveau and Richard that are above him. There are some critics and I'm guessing someone out there has him out of their top 5 list.

PS Gretzky is #1 on my list just so you know

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Gee, I wonder who would have him out of the top 5. Perhaps below...oh I don't know...Guy Lafleur maybe...

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
Whoever has Gretzky lower then #5 must have started to be a hockey fan in the 90's. Or is a big Pejorative Slur

KariyaIsGod*

If he's off your top 5 list, you are an idiot...

Plain and simple fact...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Big Phil said:
We all know the old Gretkzy vs. Orr and Gretzky vs. Howe/Lemieux debates and we all beat our heads over it not being able to change the other persons's mind. Now I dont want to debate that in this thread. What I'm wondering is that there may be some guys who put Gretzky behind Orr, Howe or even Lemieux of all-time but I'm not sure if I've ever seen him knocked out of the top 5 even by the biggest Gretzky-haters.

Does anyone have him at #5? Or even lower. If so I'd assume it would be guys like Hull, Beliveau and Richard that are above him. There are some critics and I'm guessing someone out there has him out of their top 5 list.

PS Gretzky is #1 on my list just so you know

Absolutely. Yes. Definitely!

They have him at # 11. Orr, Howe and Lemieux are not even in the top 20 on this guy's list. Would you like to meet him? They will keep him in the straight jacket while you visit.

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I'm confused. Gretzky played all of 13 NHL games and you guys are putting him in the top 5 all-time players? Good numbers in the UHL, but... it's the UHL...

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
revolverjgw said:
I'm confused. Gretzky played all of 13 NHL games and you guys are putting him in the top 5 all-time players? Good numbers in the UHL, but... it's the UHL...

Ha ha. Everyone is a comedian hey? (sarcasm)

Why is Colten Orr even up there as the best of all time? Lets wait until his career is over first before we even talk about that

Mark Howe had a great career, but to even mention him as an all time great is just ludicrous

And don't even get me started on Jocelyn Lemieux

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
albertGQ said:
Ha ha. Everyone is a comedian hey? (sarcasm)

Why is Colten Orr even up there as the best of all time? Lets wait until his career is over first before we even talk about that

Mark Howe had a great career, but to even mention him as an all time great is just ludicrous

And don't even get me started on Jocelyn Lemieux

Hahaha .. Brent Gretzky

joe_shannon_1983*

Stan Fischler has him out of his top 5 all-time, or at least did as recently as the mid-1990's.

I remember Fischler saying in an interview in 1994 that he thought Gretzky was over-rated. He said that Gretzky was a product of his era and his team's offensive system.

Fischler said that Gretzky would be a 4th liner on some of the 50's Canadiens teams and some of the 60's Maple Leafs teams.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
ferns8916 said:
Stan Fischler has him out of his top 5 all-time, or at least did as recently as the mid-1990's.

I remember Fischler saying in an interview in 1994 that he thought Gretzky was over-rated. He said that Gretzky was a product of his era and his team's offensive system.

Fischler said that Gretzky would be a 4th liner on some of the 50's Canadiens teams and some of the 60's Maple Leafs teams.

Stan also said Prucha was a better rookie then Sid the Kid. 'Nuff said.

KOVALEV10*

I dont like those stupid top 5 or top 10 lists. I rank every great such as Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Rocket, Hull, Beliveau and Flower as great but I dont like putting them in order because they were all great.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
KOVALEV10 said:
I dont like those stupid top 5 or top 10 lists. I rank every great such as Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Rocket, Hull, Beliveau and Flower as great but I dont like putting them in order because they were all great.

You're no fun

I love having hockey debates while I'm drinking with my buddies

chooch*

Leaf Lander said:
Dumb questions have dumb answers

He was Top 5 on the Oilers for sure. Otherwise its the biggest hype job since satellite radio. 10 million subscribers in the US (few of whom pay for the service).

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:
He was Top 5 on the Oilers for sure. Otherwise its the biggest hype job since satellite radio. 10 million subscribers in the US (few of whom pay for the service).

Mario Lemieux whooped it up on the powerplay yet you still have him on your list...

KariyaIsGod*

ferns8916 said:

Stan Fischler is, and always has been, a complete idiot...

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
I use to try to compare players from certain era's but it's just stupid and makes my brain hurt.

I use to say things like "Put Forsberg in a time machine to 1950 and he would have made them look like fools." But as athletes get better, equipment and training get better this kind of argument can and will be used by every generation basically making only the current players worth anything which is obviously not true.

The real test is how players do compared to their peers. Look at Gretz in 1983-84 Next closest player in scoring that year was 79 points away. Other years are just as amazing. (74 points in 85, 72 points 82-83,etc)

If Gretz is off anyone's top 5 list... Umm Umm Not sure what to say then :dunno:

Little Wing

Jul 17, 2004
Desert-ed
let's see
#1 Aaron Broten
#2 Chico Resch
#3 Barry Beck
#4 joel Quenville
#5 Gump Worsely
#6 Wayne Gretzky

Yeah i can make an argument, if only he was a goal scorer or a play maker or maybe even if he had won 4 stanley cups i maight have had him above worsley at least

chooch*

RedWingFan said:
I use to try to compare players from certain era's but it's just stupid and makes my brain hurt.

I use to say things like "Put Forsberg in a time machine to 1950 and he would have made them look like fools." But as athletes get better, equipment and training get better this kind of argument can and will be used by every generation basically making only the current players worth anything which is obviously not true.

The real test is how players do compared to their peers. Look at Gretz in 1983-84 Next closest player in scoring that year was 79 points away. Other years are just as amazing. (74 points in 85, 72 points 82-83,etc)

If Gretz is off anyone's top 5 list... Umm Umm Not sure what to say then :dunno:

Youre amazed because you dont know hockey. Gretz sat behind the net with unprecedented protection not only from his teammates but the NHL commisioner too.
(when he was thinking of coming back to coach he called Bettman to get his thoughts!!! Who the hell does that?? - Bettman gets him to time the announcement the day the NHL announces Bertuzzi is reinstated. Ridiculous)

Whats so amazing about getting 3 assists from behind the net passes and ending up a minus 1 on the night? And scoring a goal long after the game result was determined?

You want to argue Orr was that kind of player? Orr fought, hit, was hit, showed respect to fellow players and teams and was the best ever along with Mario.

Fischler and Foxnews are right - its a big hype job about 99.

If Mario (back surgeries, cancer etc etc) was from Brantford....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->