Votes: 89 39.7%
  • No not really

Votes: 54 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.3%

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I always found it super weird how he declined so early in age, even with injury history....every season for the past few in SJ I though he had a legitimate chance to rise back to Norris candidate at start of year.

Truth be told - this is probably the first season where I had completely given up on him and written him off as an elite defender.

I voted option 1 because it would be great to see - but it's obviously too soon to tell.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's still affected, badly, by his injuries - he's turning like a truck sometimes. But, he's still awesome offensively, hope someone can pick up his contract (retained)

I'm a big believer in mind-body connection and it's like he's still mentally trying to do things that his body won't let him

But as you point out, it feels like it's only sometimes. Some shifts he looks like he was the same guy from the mid 2010s, sometimes he looks like he's turning with a rudder. That has to be frustrating.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It depends what is your definition of "elite"

He's probably not Top-10 anymore but very much in the tier below

Playing on a bad team while being diminished by injuries and making too much money hasn't helped his "reputation" but it's mostly just noise, something that people who really know about hockey don't listen to.

Didn't like the poll options though, hard to reflect the reality with these

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Somewhere between 2 goals and 2 A1 in a 23 second span vs the Ducks tonight.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Erik Karlsson has never not been elite. For a variety of reasons, he hasn’t had elite production for a few seasons. But he is and was a supreme talent.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Non physical quickly became "bad at defense", "weak", etc

This has nothing to do with it, at all. Slavin is widely considered to be one of the best defensemen, if not the best, defensively and he's not very physical at all. The same was true about Nicklas Lidstrom and Scott Niedermayer.

Karlsson has bad defensive rep because of, compared to other elite defensemen, he's just not very good defensively. The fact that he has to rack up at least 70 points (and then I'm being generous) in order to be anywhere near the Norris conversation pretty much says it all.

Last edited:

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
This has nothing to do with it, at all. Slavin is widely considered to be one of the best defensemen, if not the best, defensively and he's not very physical at all. The same was true about Nicklas Lidstrom and Scott Niedermayer.

Karlsson has bad defensive rep because of, compared to other elite defensemen, he's just not very good defensively. The fact that he has to rack up at least 70 points (and then I'm being generous) in order to be anywhere near the Norris conversation pretty much says it all.

Nah, he can be very good defensively, which we saw in 2017, he’s just not putting in the effort defensively this season it seems. But, we shouldn’t forget the importance of controlled zone exits as an important part of defence, and EK is 1st in the league in that department.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Nah, he can be very good defensively, which we saw in 2017, he’s just not putting in the effort defensively this season it seems. But, we shouldn’t forget the importance of controlled zone exits as an important part of defence, and EK is 1st in the league in that department.

As usual on HFboards, we get stuck on defenitions. Sure, if "offense is the best defense" than you can argue Karlsson is good defensively. When I'm talking about defense, I'm talking about defending without the puck.

Regardless, he's average defensively at best. If he was anything special in this area, any coach would be fired for not putting Karlsson on the ice during a penalty kill or when defending a late lead in an important game. Instead, it's just "whatever".

Now imagine Detroit not using Lidstrom in those situations... The response wouldn't be "whatever". The coach would be beheaded.

Now, that doesn't mean Karlsson isn't elite. He is of course elite (or was, too early to say this year), but he needs to be outstanding offensively to make up for his otherwise average play without the puck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad