Votes: 89 39.7%
  • No not really

Votes: 54 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 6.3%

• Total voters

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I only saw one game of Karlsson this season, against the lightning, but there he was Norris level

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
How’s his defense been?

And isn’t he a notoriously slow starter? Dudes gonna score 150 points if im right about that and my math checks out.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He’s a typical player (in any league) that makes too much for what he is currently. That perception makes people think he’s a bum even though he’s still very much elite. If we think guys like Q Hughes are elite than so is EK. Just wanna see him stay healthy

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
He’a definitely going to shock a lot of hockey fans.

I won’t be surprised if he’s a finalist for Norris and Sharks get the wild card spot

• Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
A bit surprising spread among the votes. I get the impression that the ones who vote “not really” might not have watched him that much this season but follows the narrative over the last seasons. Myself I only watched him once this season where he was almost back to his old self during the Ottawa days. Either the 7 people voting “Yes Norris level” are very optimistic homers or something has actually happened where EK found his stride again.

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
Karlsson is too big an ego to run behind a Burns. That was evident. Coupled with his injury troubles, a wild contract and people simply couldn't objectively watch him. He makes a bad defensive play everyone jumps on him. While never really getting credit for his offensive skills. It's a weird take on Karlsson. He is overpaid, surely, but the hate he gets because of that is unjustified. It's mostly salty people who are likely underpaid and overworked in their own lives and projecting. Dude is an elite defenseman in the NHL. Will he win the Norris again? Not likely. Still though, he is a top tier player in the league and makes the game exciting when he is out there.

Reactions: Ben White

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’a definitely going to shock a lot of hockey fans.

I won’t be surprised if he’s a finalist for Norris and Sharks get the wild card spot

Unlikely that either will happen but good to see EK off to a good start and the season will tell but he might be a top 10-30ish Dman in the league over a whole season again.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Better than Makar.
Yeah I don't think so. Karlsson is being Karlsson, putting up points but still a minus player. Makar is having perhaps his worst start to a season, Avs as a team are not playing very good so far, but Makar is still taking care of his own zone and he's even on plus minus side.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yeah I don't think so. Karlsson is being Karlsson, putting up points but still a minus player. Makar is having perhaps his worst start to a season, Avs as a team are not playing very good so far, but Makar is still taking care of his own zone and he's even on plus minus side.
Makar has been struggling defensively, what do you mean? Karlsson only being -2 worse than Makar while playing on the Sharks vs the stacked Avs isn't the argument you think it is.

Reactions: lordtrillson

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Karlsson is too big an ego to run behind a Burns. That was evident. Coupled with his injury troubles, a wild contract and people simply couldn't objectively watch him. He makes a bad defensive play everyone jumps on him. While never really getting credit for his offensive skills. It's a weird take on Karlsson. He is overpaid, surely, but the hate he gets because of that is unjustified. It's mostly salty people who are likely underpaid and overworked in their own lives and projecting. Dude is an elite defenseman in the NHL. Will he win the Norris again? Not likely. Still though, he is a top tier player in the league and makes the game exciting when he is out there.

Well I guess he's elite again, given the argument here is back to "anyone who disagrees is just miserable with their own lives."

Just in case you were curious why EK threads degenerate.

Reactions: wetcoast

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Makar has been struggling defensively, what do you mean? Karlsson only being -2 worse than Makar while playing on the Sharks vs the stacked Avs isn't the argument you think it is.
That's true, Makar has been struggling, but he's still even and not going minus. He's doing a solid enough job in the d zone. It's his offensive game that struggles right now

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

I've never understood the Erik Karlsson hate wagon myself but I think it might have been propagated by certain media.

The beautifully skating, elegant, non-physical offensive defenseman that Karlsson was (is) is simply not the image of the prototypical hunking defenseman who pushes forwards around the crease.

Non physical quickly became "bad at defense", "weak", etc. Bad at defense became "bad defenseman", "liability", "overrated", etc.

I mean, how can an offensive defenseman who doesnt brutalize the opponent be better than a Shea Weber or Zdeno Chara, prototypical old school defensemen.

Then, witht the contract, injuries and underperformances in SJ, its like his detractors unveiled a fraud, like all he's done before was just a fluke and his SJ days were "the true" Karlsson.

Like, Pacioretty has had his fair share of injury troubles in Vegas and I think mostly everyone understands that and people acept that he's a threat when healthy. But Karlsson... he's just "bad" for some reason.

But last year was the same, he started pretty good and then got injured. Hopefully he can have a fully healthy season this year, but the poor guy doesnt seem to have the body to be a superstar NHL player for 82 games

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
eh in theory

color me very skeptical at this point that he can stay healthy for anything resembling a full season

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Better than Makar.
confused-jaguarsfan.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad