Is anyone else really not excited in the least about this season?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Still going with 'no,' but thanks.

To be fair you said the "market" and "ownership" were the reasons we would never get within spitting distance of a player like McDavid. You later changed it to "luck" and players like McDavid being "rare" which really have no connection to our market or ownership. Confusing post all around.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be fair you said the "market" and "ownership" were the reasons we would never get within spitting distance of a player like McDavid. You later changed it to "luck" and players like McDavid being "rare" which really have no connection to our market or ownership. Confusing post all around.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the discussion, but just in general "draft a McDavid" is not something that's an actual viable strategy. Drafting a player of that caliber requires both timing and luck: first you need to have a bad team in the right draft year and then you need to finish in the correct lottery ball position in the standings.

That isn't something you can effectively plan around.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm not sure exactly what's going on with the discussion, but just in general "draft a McDavid" is not something that's an actual viable strategy. Drafting a player of that caliber requires both timing and luck: first you need to have a bad team in the right draft year and then you need to finish in the correct lottery ball position in the standings.

That isn't something you can effectively plan around.

I don't think it was ever about being a strategy to get McDavid specifically, just that this market would never "allow it", whatever that means. Of course tanking for high picks in general *is* a strategy, you just can't dictate what player will be available at your spot.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't think it was ever about being a strategy to get McDavid specifically, just that this market would never "allow it", whatever that means. Of course tanking for high picks in general *is* a strategy, you just can't dictate what player will be available at your spot.

Ah got it. That concept is just as bad then, if you're a bad team then you're a bad team, market expectations can't dictate actual on-ice performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad