Is anyone else really not excited in the least about this season?

Mad Brills*

I mean a repeat of 2014-15 isn't good for this franchise long term.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Should be a very exciting rookie season with so much high end talent from the past few drafts getting a shot. None on our team of course but the rest of the league should be pretty interesting. Great year to get gamecenter.

No doubt. I can't remember the last time there were so many highend rookies playing. I think this season is going to be great... minus ours, of course.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'd go further and say I would gladly support the team if they were still trying to win while we have the Sedin's, except they were doing it smartly. Something like:

Daniel-Henrik-Eriksson
*-Bonino-Vrbata
Matthias-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Richardson-Kassian
*- Shinkaruk, McCann, Virtanen/Nylander/Ehlers

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Forsling/Stetcher
Hutton-Garrison

Lack
Markstrom

Would be just fine with me, and we see where we are and whether to rebuild or not after the Sedins are gone.

Well yeah, I'd support that too, but it's obviously way too late for that with all the moves that have been made.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Erik Gudbranson is a perfectly solid #4-5 defender and a good team guy. I have absolutely nothing against him, and am sure I'll like him as a Canuck.

However, the way he's being hyped by the media as some sort of shutdown beast who is an upgrade on Hamhuis is just absolutely bizarre and not in tune with reality.

It has nothing to do with 'scapegoating' Gudbranson and everything to do with realistic expectations.

Can't blame the media man...

The media is in the business of selling either hope or misery.

With the Canuck organization seemingly having the entire Canuck media base by the balls, it's just too dangerous going down the misery path.

This'll change when the White Caps grow into a 800M dollar team. Until then... it is what it is.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
It pains me to say this, but I've become a full-blown McDavid fan. I resisted the idea at first, but watching him play I just can't help it. It feels strange, but the thing I'm most excited for this season is seeing how well he does.

I should add: this does not mean I am cheering for Edmonton to win games. It hasn't gotten that bad, nor will it ever.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It pains me to say this, but I've become a full-blown McDavid fan. I resisted the idea at first, but watching him play I just can't help it. It feels strange, but the thing I'm most excited for this season is seeing how well he does.

I should add: this does not mean I am cheering for Edmonton to win games. It hasn't gotten that bad, nor will it ever.

I've found myself watching their games more. He's just that exciting to watch. As a hockey fan I can't help it.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Look no further than WD's comments in the GDT about Horvat. It's really, really hard to be excited about a team without a single clue in its coaching and management ranks.

It's really quite disgusting how far this organization has fallen. I feel like we're exactly where the Leafs were in the early 2000s.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Can't blame the media man...

The media is in the business of selling either hope or misery.

With the Canuck organization seemingly having the entire Canuck media base by the balls, it's just too dangerous going down the misery path.

This'll change when the White Caps grow into a 800M dollar team. Until then... it is what it is.

The Whitecaps and to a lesser extent, Lions, have really blown a chance to grab the fan base at a time of pretty severe fan apathy towards the Canucks and the Whitecaps are a repeat of this year away from being mostly irrelevant. The entertainment value has disappeared and there's been too much player turnover. I was all in but they've lost me just as the Canucks and now the Lions have. Dark days for the local sports scene to be sure.

That being said, I'm not at all excited about the season, haven't watched any non-Canucks hockey at all yet and don't feel compelled to, and generally not overly excited about any sports right now.

And the Canucks will always be the number 1 game in town. Always.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I've found myself watching their games more. He's just that exciting to watch. As a hockey fan I can't help it.

I'm more excited about watching Loui play on the same line as the Sedins. It's been a long time since I'd stay up till 4 in the morning to watch a Vancouver game.

Oh, and Rödin should be fun to follow when he's fully recovered.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I`m excited for Nucks for sure - we battle back 4 pts this early of the season - very promising! ))

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011

Yep I am in the same boat the only games I will go to this year are vs Oilers. There is no 1 player on the Canucks exciting enough to make me buy tickets this year, and I guess I am not alone judging by how many empty seats i saw those first 2 games.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Excited about this season?....they've got a reason to be excited in Edmonton (McDavid); Winnipeg (Laine); TO (Matthews); and even Ottawa (Karlsson) and Calgary (Gaudreau)....in Vancouver?...well we did sign Skille as a PTO.:sarcasm:

Boesser. He is going to be the shît.

Edit: also Stecher, Tryamkin will be solid and fun to watch. I'm going to go to a few games this year as the Sedins are just that fun to watch and we will never ever see 2 mvp caliber players play at that level ever again.

As well the pacific is wide open imho. SJ seems to be the only lock to me.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
IDK I find Horvat very exciting to watch. Maybe I'm just easily entertained.

I like watching Bo Horvat. He's definitely not on the same level as McDavid or Matthews or Laine, or even Monahan/Gaudreau, but he's a fun player to watch.

Only problems are: he is a step below those franchise guys, and I'm not confident Benning won't trade him. There were some rumours floating around that Horvat was being offered in a deal for Subban, but that deal collapsed when Montreal insisted on the 5th overall pick being involved. How can I get excited about a player who I'm not confident will still be here in 1-3 years?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I like watching Bo Horvat. He's definitely not on the same level as McDavid or Matthews or Laine, or even Monahan/Gaudreau, but he's a fun player to watch.

Only problems are: he is a step below those franchise guys, and I'm not confident Benning won't trade him. There were some rumours floating around that Horvat was being offered in a deal for Subban, but that deal collapsed when Montreal insisted on the 5th overall pick being involved. How can I get excited about a player who I'm not confident will still be here in 1-3 years?

One makes a choice to either be positive or negative about whatever the situation is. Neutral is also an option but also is the most boring.

Are you this negative IRL? Or just on this here hockey talk forum?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
One makes a choice to either be positive or negative about whatever the situation is. Neutral is also an option but also is the most boring.

Are you this negative IRL? Or just on this here hockey talk forum?

I'm simply reacting to the team's situation. It's negative because the team has been completely mismanaged.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm simply reacting to the team's situation. It's negative because the team has been completely mismanaged.

Bo is not the team... the team is not Bo.

You are projecting your unhappiness with the team onto pretty much everything related to the team.

Bo is an exciting player to watch period, full stop. Is he going to be traded 3 years from now? Who cares. Enjoy watching Bo in the here and now and don't worry about stuff that you don't have any control over.

Is this being delusional? Nah.. I don't think so. I went off the deep end last summer with the Lack trade and other stuff. Not healthy my friend. Not at all.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Bo is not the team... the team is not Bo.

You are projecting your unhappiness with the team onto pretty much everything related to the team.

Bo is an exciting player to watch period, full stop. Is he going to be traded 3 years from now? Who cares. Enjoy watching Bo in the here and now and don't worry about stuff that you don't have any control over.

Is this being delusional? Nah.. I don't think so. I went off the deep end last summer with the Lack trade and other stuff. Not healthy my friend. Not at all.

I'm concerned he could be traded THIS year, let alone 3 years from now.

I don't like most of the team either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad