Is anyone else really not excited in the least about this season?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
To be fair to Benning making Horvat available for a top 5 (possibly even top 3) dman really doesn't suggest he's going to just turf Horvat away. I think everyone knows how i feel about benning but i don't really think he has the balls to trade horvat unless he's getting a well known superstar in return.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
To be fair to Benning making Horvat available for a top 5 (possibly even top 3) dman really doesn't suggest he's going to just turf Horvat away. I think everyone knows how i feel about benning but i don't really think he has the balls to trade horvat unless he's getting a well known superstar in return.

Also consider GM's are going to be hesitant to add players this year they want to keep long term with the expansion draft looming... it's a bad time to really bulk up your d line with up to 4 or 5 good caliber dmen deep knowing they'll be exposed.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
McDavid is better.
Log off, Pauser. There isn't a comparison to be made between two 36-year-old guys on the back nine of their careers and a 19-year-old prodigy.

We know you hate the Sedins. We all remember when you wanted them to be jettisoned so the Canucks could take runs at Marian Gaborik and Mike Cammaleri in free agency, but Connor McDavid is easily the most talented player to enter the league since Sidney Crosby, and before Crosby, Mario Lemieux. At 19, he's a top-5 player in the league. There's no way this team in this market with this ownership group will suck badly enough to get within a spitting distance of a player like McDavid at the draft.

Last edited:

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
This is the first time in at least 12 years that I didn't renew my Centre Ice package so I could watch every Canuck game. I'll get excited again when Benning is turfed.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Log off, Pauser. There isn't a comparison to be made between two 36-year-old guys on the back nine of their careers and a 19-year-old prodigy.

We know you hate the Sedins. We all remember when you wanted them to be jettisoned so the Canucks could take runs at Marian Gaborik and Mike Cammaleri in free agency, but Connor McDavid is easily the most talented player to enter the league since Sidney Crosby, and before Crosby, Mario Lemieux. At 19, he's a top-5 player in the league. There's no way this team in this market with this ownership group will suck badly enough to get within a spitting distance of a player like McDavid at the draft.

2015-16 didn't happen?

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'd go further and say I would gladly support the team if they were still trying to win while we have the Sedin's, except they were doing it smartly. Something like:

Daniel-Henrik-Eriksson
*-Bonino-Vrbata
Matthias-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Richardson-Kassian
*- Shinkaruk, McCann, Virtanen/Nylander/Ehlers

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Forsling/Stetcher
Hutton-Garrison

Lack
Markstrom

Would be just fine with me, and we see where we are and whether to rebuild or not after the Sedins are gone.

I can agree with this, heck they could have tried to get a young impact center to slowly take the #1 role from Hank and slowly move the Sedins down the lineup.

The issue I have with the playoffs is we'll likely be either stomped on by the top seed or be a middling team playing another middling team fighting to get stomped in the second round. I'd rather see young guys transition in and have the older guys be faded out slowly. If they still play within the franchise when we've recouped young players then combine the experience and youth to push as far as you can.

The rebuilding needs to happen eventually and I'd rather do it now than when we see the Sedins retire and feel a swift kick down under and think "Well **** , what do we do now."

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I think the philosophy should have been what they did with Garrison. Move a 30 something to obtain an unproven early 20 something in vey. Bad pro scouting on vey.

Like what the rangers did to get MZ for brassard.

Don't get the point of dealing picks and youngsters to get mid 20 year olds.

Moving garrison, hamhuis, bieksa, and in time edler to get those younger pieces makes sense. Not dealing McCann, forsling, and 2nd round picks.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
It did.

They still didn't suck badly enough to get even one of the top three players in the draft.

Actually, what they needed to have done was finish with.more points to move from 3rd worst to 4th worst like Columbus or 6th worst like Winnipeg.

Draft lottery modified since teams like Edmonton were never improving. Bottom 3 in 6/7 years. And Buffalo with their mcdavid tank job.

Embarrassing foe the nhl.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Rather than responding to me out of context maybe it might be a good idea to read the chain I was responding to?

Also your last statement is incorrect. This team was 3rd worst in the NHL last season and not too far away from dead last.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
It did.

They still didn't suck badly enough to get even one of the top three players in the draft.

Well there's this thing called the lottery see ...

And this team in this market/ownership group *did* finish worse than both Winnipeg and Columbus, who picked 2 and 3. You don't consider that "within spitting distance"???

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Actually, what they needed to have done was finish with.more points to move from 3rd worst to 4th worst like Columbus or 6th worst like Winnipeg.

Draft lottery modified since teams like Edmonton were never improving. Bottom 3 in 6/7 years. And Buffalo with their mcdavid tank job.

Embarrassing foe the nhl.
Would have been nice, but it didn't happen. Buffalo still ended up fine, as long as Eichel is able to recover from his injury.

Also your last statement is incorrect. This team was 3rd worst in the NHL last season and not too far away from dead last.
They sucked and finished third-last. Yes. And still managed to plummet in the lottery to fifth. Are you making an argument to turf the draft lottery?

Well there's this thing called the lottery see ...

And this team in this market/ownership group *did* finish worse than both Winnipeg and Columbus, who picked 2 and 3. You don't consider that "within spitting distance"???
They still didn't suck bad enough to be in a better position for the #1. It's a lottery and they lost.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
They still didn't suck bad enough to be in a better position for the #1. It's a lottery and they lost.

That's not even close to what you said. You said that with this market and ownership group they would never get "within spitting distance" of a top pick. They absolutely just got within spitting distance. 28th place. Guess what spot Edmonton won the McDavid lottery from? Yep, 28th. Guess what position Winnipeg won the Laine pick from? 24th.

But ya, we could *never* come close lol

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They sucked and finished third-last. Yes. And still managed to plummet in the lottery to fifth. Are you making an argument to turf the draft lottery?

So you admit that your statement about how this team won't get "within a spitting distance of a player like McDavid in the draft" because of this market and owner is wrong?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
That's not even close to what you said. You said that with this market and ownership group they would never get "within spitting distance" of a top pick. They absolutely just got within spitting distance. 28th place. Guess what spot Edmonton won the McDavid lottery from? Yep, 28th. Guess what position Winnipeg won the Laine pick from? 24th.

But ya, we could *never* come close lol
Yawn. Also, I was referring to a player like McDavid available at the top. If you think Matthews is a comparable, fine, but I don't agree. McDavid is a player that comes along once a decade.

So you admit that your statement about how this team won't get "within a spitting distance of a player like McDavid in the draft" because of this market and owner is wrong?
Nope. This market is fairweather and the Aquilinis are still abject morons, but McDavid comes along once in a decade. Matthews ain't McDavid. Neither is Nolan Patrick.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yawn. Also, I was referring to a player like McDavid available at the top. If you think Matthews is a comparable, fine, but I don't agree. McDavid is a player that comes along once a decade.

Ok... ?

So you are merely saying that players like McDavid are rare then? What does that have to do with "a team in this market and this ownership group" then? What does any of that have to do with players like McDavid being rare? Is he less rare to Carolina? Or Phoenix? Or to Pittsburgh? I don't understand your point.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Ok... ?

So you are merely saying that players like McDavid are rare then? What does that have to do with "a team in this market and this ownership group" then? What does any of that have to do with players like McDavid being rare? Is he less rare to Carolina? Or Phoenix? Or to Pittsburgh? I don't understand your point.
More of a commentary on how fantastically unlucky this team is than anything else. We can't even suck in the right years.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Nope. This market is fairweather and the Aquilinis are still abject morons, but McDavid comes along once in a decade. Matthews ain't McDavid. Neither is Nolan Patrick.

That's nice. But what McDavid being a generational talent have to do with the fairweather market and Aquilini?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
More of a commentary on how fantastically unlucky this team is than anything else. We can't even suck in the right years.

Ok I guess. Would have been more than ok with "just" Matthews but if you're talking about McDavid-level only then sure I guess. Of course there's 24 other teams that have never had a Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Crosby, Ovechkin, or McDavid so it's a pretty broad list of teams with our bad luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad