Rumor: Interest in Marleau (report: willing to waive NMC for LA, ANA, NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I think only team Marleau would waive for would be Tampa. But Tampa needs cap space so how about Stamkos to Calgary and Marleau to Tampa.

Only idea that would make sense. But I doubt Marleau wants to move.

Typical Wilson doesn't even get something in return for our best LW. :shakehead

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
It's a good idea if we keep playing like we are. This team is going nowhere, and Couture alone isn't going to fix that. If anything, Couture's loss just gave us an early preview of how messed up this team is. It's like we picked up a team last night when we were drunk and then woke up and saw it without it's make-up on.

Yeah it's sort of like when a football team loses their star qb.... obviously because the Steelers can't win with out Big Ben, they are not a playoff calibre team with him either.

So what does their dominance with Couture in the lineup signify then?

ffs, this team for the first time I can ever remember is in the weakest division in the league...there's no reason to throw in the towel as a fan already, cause the team certainly isn't in that position.
They're going to be in the playoff race come march, there is no powerhouse they have to battle all season, the pacific is anyone's to grab.
This team is not messed up...they are simply a bubble team with a lot of injuries, either enjoy it or not.

Marleau is playing amazing hockey right now, I have a feeling it's MTL making a push. Would absolutely put them over the top and I'd hop aboard the Habs wagon in the east, especially if we net a decent return

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah it's sort of like when a football team loses their star qb.... obviously because the Steelers can't win with out Big Ben, they are not a playoff calibre team with him either.

So what does their dominance with Couture in the lineup signify then?

ffs, this team for the first time I can ever remember is in the weakest division in the league...there's no reason to throw in the towel as a fan already, cause the team certainly isn't in that position.
They're going to be in the playoff race come march, there is no powerhouse they have to battle all season, the pacific is anyone's to grab.
This team is not messed up...they are simply a bubble team with a lot of injuries, either enjoy it or not.

Marleau is playing amazing hockey right now, I have a feeling it's MTL making a push. Would absolutely put them over the top and I'd hop aboard the Habs wagon in the east, especially if we net a decent return

The dominace with couture was 3 games. The sharks looked great last year to start the season also, but guess what happened that early quick good play wore off and the sharks stuttered for the majority of the season.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
The dominace with couture was 3 games. The sharks looked great last year to start the season also, but guess what happened that early quick good play wore off and the sharks stuttered for the majority of the season.

I hear you, I think most agreed they were playing above their level to start up.

Just don't buy the hyperbole that because they're mediocre w/o Couture it means they won't be a threat with him.

If they were playing in the Central or Metro, I'd say yeah we probably aren't going to make it.
But the odds are in our favor right now , the Oilers are likely done, Coyotes and Flames are just not better teams.
It's not so much a statement in how much I believe in the team , but a reason to not give up. The division is just pretty crap lol.
The playoffs are anyone's game, hell hypothetically if they're the 8 seed and Dallas is 1; if healthy it would be a quite beatable matchup over the course of series imo.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
It's Nash. Marleau for Nash makes so much sense for both sides it would be stupid not to pull the trigger. SJ gets a piece for now and the future. NYR gets a veteran presence to replace St. Louis. SJ has the cap, NYR needs the cap. Nash has another 5+ years in the tank, so this solves the return-for-Patty issue. Patty wants to make a cup run, and the NYR are set to go deep. Patty is a proven play-off performer, while Nash is not. That said, Nash would probably top 50/g/yr on Thornton's wing. Both teams stay "contenders". Its a great career move for two players with NTCs and a great team building move on both sides. People are talking about family, but its not like SJ doesn't have the worst travel schedule in the league. And its not like his kid's wouldn't love to spend a few weeks in NY. Between West Coast road trips, family vacations, holiday breaks, etc its not going to be so different. Hell, even the timing is convenient given that the GM meeting is TOMORROW. What a better time for DW to tell Gorton/Sather/whoever to call Patty and ask him to waive. Marleau. Nash. Its a good hockey trade.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think only team Marleau would waive for would be Tampa. But Tampa needs cap space so how about Stamkos to Calgary and Marleau to Tampa.

Only idea that would make sense. But I doubt Marleau wants to move.

Tampa would only have to give whatever futures package plus Matt Carle to make enough room for Marleau. Wouldn't be that difficult and it would be in line with what the Sharks should acquire if it's time to move on for whatever reason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's Nash. Marleau for Nash makes so much sense for both sides it would be stupid not to pull the trigger. SJ gets a piece for now and the future. NYR gets a veteran presence to replace St. Louis. SJ has the cap, NYR needs the cap. Nash has another 5+ years in the tank, so this solves the return-for-Patty issue. Patty wants to make a cup run, and the NYR are set to go deep. Patty is a proven play-off performer, while Nash is not. That said, Nash would probably top 50/g/yr on Thornton's wing. Both teams stay "contenders". Its a great career move for two players with NTCs and a great team building move on both sides. People are talking about family, but its not like SJ doesn't have the worst travel schedule in the league. And its not like his kid's wouldn't love to spend a few weeks in NY. Between West Coast road trips, family vacations, holiday breaks, etc its not going to be so different. Hell, even the timing is convenient given that the GM meeting is TOMORROW. What a better time for DW to tell Gorton/Sather/whoever to call Patty and ask him to waive. Marleau. Nash. Its a good hockey trade.

Sharks don't have the cap space to swap Marleau for Nash. And it's kind of silly to assume you know what his kids would want. Most of them aren't even of age to care about that stuff.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Sharks don't have the cap space to swap Marleau for Nash. And it's kind of silly to assume you know what his kids would want. Most of them aren't even of age to care about that stuff.

Aren't marleaus kids all under the age of 5?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

You ever go on a family trip to NY? It's a blast. I presume every 7 year old would love it.

More importantly, we do have the cap space. Don't even have to demote anyone because of all the games Couture missed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You ever go on a family trip to NY? It's a blast. I presume every 7 year old would love it.

More importantly, we do have the cap space. Don't even have to demote anyone because of all the games Couture missed.

Yes, I've been on a family trip to NY. It's not even remotely something to consider for something like this.

They don't have the cap space for it, man. Couture being out doesn't save any cap space.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

You don't bank capspace from LTIR. You are presuming a lot. Also not every family wants to raise their children in a busy metropolitan area and there are many reasons that his family might want to remain in California.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Yes, I've been on a family trip to NY. It's not even remotely something to consider for something like this.

All I am saying is that you can help reduce the impact of the distance issue with proper vacation planning. If you disagree, then it is what it is.

They don't have the cap space for it, man. Couture being out doesn't save any cap space.

Looking at it right now on Hockey's Cap. You'd want to move Smith or Torres at some point (maybe waive em?), but it definitely fits. $467,499 to spare.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
You don't bank capspace from LTIR. You are presuming a lot. Also not every family wants to raise their children in a busy metropolitan area and there are many reasons that his family might want to remain in California.

Never said he would move his kids. In fact, I said the opposite - that he really doesn't need to.

Also, what was that issue with Kane then last year? Thought there was some kind of bankable cap ******** that let CHI get way over payroll.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Never said he would move his kids. In fact, I said the opposite - that he really doesn't need to.

Also, what was that issue with Kane then last year? Thought there was some kind of bankable cap ******** that let CHI get way over payroll.

Per LTIR rules you can go over the cap by the dollar amount that the injured player makes. But you do not bank it for later.

And trading for Nash is a terrible idea. Why would Marleau want to move away from his family, as you're suggesting? That's even worse IMO. Nash isn't any more likely to put up 50 with Joe than Heatley was. Marleau is a better player than Nash anyway. It's just a bad trade for us any way you slice it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
All I am saying is that you can help reduce the impact of the distance issue with proper vacation planning. If you disagree, then it is what it is.

Looking at it right now on Hockey's Cap. You'd want to move Smith or Torres at some point (maybe waive em?), but it definitely fits. $467,499 to spare.

I sincerely doubt that Marleau is not going to move his family if he were to be moved. And that issue is not really what would go into deciding something like this.

So you trade Marleau for Nash to waive Smith or Torres? Ignoring the probability that the team can't waive Torres for the purposes of cap savings, how does the team get better going from Marleau to Nash? They have other things to address and you want to have less cap to deal with those things and not improve at all. Makes no sense.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

It worked for Chicago bc the LTIR space from Kane's injury just before the TDL let them acquire Vermette, etc. Kane didn't come back until the playoffs. There is no cap during the playoffs. That's why teams can call up players from the AHL, etc. You can't bank LTIR space; it's use it or lose it.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I sincerely doubt that Marleau is not going to move his family if he were to be moved. And that issue is not really what would go into deciding something like this.

So much of this comes down to crazy sort of speculation on either side, but I can say from personal experience, my Dad continued to live and work in San Jose while the rest of my family moved for my brother's hockey career. My Dad would fly in every Friday night and fly home every Sunday. It was hard work, but at that level, almost everyone was dealing with the exact same situation. It was part of playing hockey. Spending weeks on the road, away from your family, is part of playing professional hockey. You learn that early. I suspect these boards are making a much bigger deal of the family issue than it really is.

So you trade Marleau for Nash to waive Smith or Torres?

I'd consider Marleau for Nash, with Smith on waivers to be an upgrade. First though, please recall that waiving either player is not necessary. So this entire hypothetical is on YOUR desire to see one go. But since you insist, I will entertain. Firstly, lets establish the true value of Smith. Smith is on his way out. We picked him up as a cap dump, and he really doesn't fit DeBoer's system. Even without injuries, DeBoer has been playing Brown, Goodrow and Lerg ahead of him. He got straight up benched the other day due to bad performance. So, I guess you could say that my opinion of Smith is not high, nor do I have any reason to suspect the organization feels differently. Every indicator I have, says that he is of limited value to the team. In fact, I am sort of amused that you find dumping the cap dump to be so offensive. We got Smith and a 7th for Desi. They don't give you the pick if you got the better player. And Desi wasn't worth much more than a 7th anyways.

And I don't know why we couldn't put Torres on waivers. I'm not sure who outside of the NHL does have an answer to that. But his real value is incredibly low regardless. He doesn't have a future in the NHL. To get a 41-game suspension in a PRE-SEASON GAME is mind-blowing. He either knew he couldn't play or is simply too stupid to. If he does come back, he really can't be making any east-west hits again. Odds are he goes to the KHL where he can play his style without the nanny-state suspending him every time he hits the ice. But either way, he is a toxic asset. Waive him if you can, or absorb the hit.

In short, waiving either player has a very limited, if any, impact on the performance of the team. Both will see limited ice time this year and will not be renewed. I doubt either plays in the NHL next year.

how does the team get better going from Marleau to Nash? They have other things to address and you want to have less cap to deal with those things and not improve at all. Makes no sense.
Ahh yes, the important part. Now that we've established Smith's complete lack of value. Or Torres if for some reason you want to argue the most minor details. Let's talk about the real meat here - why Nash is a better fit for SJ than Marleau.

In one sentence: We trade an aging player who no longer fits in with our play-style for a younger player who does.

*gasp* I know. But it's true. Patty is a dump-and-chase player. The style of hockey we played under TMac. The style the second line is still using. Unfortunately, not the style Pete DeBoer uses.

Let's break this down in terms of numbers though:
* 5v5 Goals (2013-2015): Nash (47 @ 1.52/60) v Marleau (23 @ .6/60)
* 5v5 Points (2013-2015): Nash (74 @ 2.39/60) v Marleau (65 @ 1.7/60)
* 5v5 Corsi (2013-2015): Nash (52.3 w/ 6.6 RelTM) v Marleau ( 52.0 w/ 2.38 RelTM)

You can't tell me Patty's age isn't an issue the team should address.
You can't tell me that SJ's 5v5 scoring isn't an issue the team should address.
You can't tell me that Patty is better possession player than Nash, or that that is also not an issue we should address.

If the NYR will give us Nash, we should take that a RUN. It's only going to make the team better.

And while you are right that there are other issues to address, that does not discount the fact that THESE ISSUES also need addressed. And Nash for Marleau fixes them as well as any trade will.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
It worked for Chicago bc the LTIR space from Kane's injury just before the TDL let them acquire Vermette, etc. Kane didn't come back until the playoffs. There is no cap during the playoffs. That's why teams can call up players from the AHL, etc. You can't bank LTIR space; it's use it or lose it.

Thank you for explaining! I have heard so many different angles on that, that its nice to finally have a firm answer.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So much of this comes down to crazy sort of speculation on either side, but I can say from personal experience, my Dad continued to live and work in San Jose while the rest of my family moved for my brother's hockey career. My Dad would fly in every Friday night and fly home every Sunday. It was hard work, but at that level, almost everyone was dealing with the exact same situation. It was part of playing hockey. Spending weeks on the road, away from your family, is part of playing professional hockey. You learn that early. I suspect these boards are making a much bigger deal of the family issue than it really is.

I'd consider Marleau for Nash, with Smith on waivers to be an upgrade. First though, please recall that waiving either player is not necessary. So this entire hypothetical is on YOUR desire to see one go. But since you insist, I will entertain. Firstly, lets establish the true value of Smith. Smith is on his way out. We picked him up as a cap dump, and he really doesn't fit DeBoer's system. Even without injuries, DeBoer has been playing Brown, Goodrow and Lerg ahead of him. He got straight up benched the other day due to bad performance. So, I guess you could say that my opinion of Smith is not high, nor do I have any reason to suspect the organization feels differently. Every indicator I have, says that he is of limited value to the team. In fact, I am sort of amused that you find dumping the cap dump to be so offensive. We got Smith and a 7th for Desi. They don't give you the pick if you got the better player. And Desi wasn't worth much more than a 7th anyways.

And I don't know why we couldn't put Torres on waivers. I'm not sure who outside of the NHL does have an answer to that. But his real value is incredibly low regardless. He doesn't have a future in the NHL. To get a 41-game suspension in a PRE-SEASON GAME is mind-blowing. He either knew he couldn't play or is simply too stupid to. If he does come back, he really can't be making any east-west hits again. Odds are he goes to the KHL where he can play his style without the nanny-state suspending him every time he hits the ice. But either way, he is a toxic asset. Waive him if you can, or absorb the hit.

In short, waiving either player has a very limited, if any, impact on the performance of the team. Both will see limited ice time this year and will not be renewed. I doubt either plays in the NHL next year.

Ahh yes, the important part. Now that we've established Smith's complete lack of value. Or Torres if for some reason you want to argue the most minor details. Let's talk about the real meat here - why Nash is a better fit for SJ than Marleau.

In one sentence: We trade an aging player who no longer fits in with our play-style for a younger player who does.

*gasp* I know. But it's true. Patty is a dump-and-chase player. The style of hockey we played under TMac. The style the second line is still using. Unfortunately, not the style Pete DeBoer uses.

* 5v5 Corsi (2013-2015): Nash (52.3 w/ 6.6 RelTM) v Marleau ( 52.0 w/ 2.38 RelTM)

You can't tell me that Patty is better possession player than Nash, or that that is also not an issue we should address.

If the NYR will give us Nash, we should take that a RUN. It's only going to make the team better.

And while you are right that there are other issues to address, that does not discount the fact that THESE ISSUES also need addressed. And Nash for Marleau fixes them as well as any trade will.

Yes every player who wants to make a career from hockey realize that family is sort of an after thought during the season. But what people are saying is marleau won't move his family with him to whatever city he would be going to. Lets use the new york example since that is what is being discussed. So marleau would maybe see his family once a season, maybe twice during the all star break. And that 1st time is only if new york is scheduled to come to san jose. Staying in san jose guarantees he gets 41 days a season with the family.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Yes every player who wants to make a career from hockey realize that family is sort of an after thought during the season. But what people are saying is marleau won't move his family with him to whatever city he would be going to. Lets use the new york example since that is what is being discussed. So marleau would maybe see his family once a season, maybe twice during the all star break. And that 1st time is only if new york is scheduled to come to san jose. Staying in san jose guarantees he gets 41 days a season with the family.

Right. He won't move them. I've said that all along. With proper planning it isn't an issue.

Looking at the Ranger's schedule, they have a back to back against Edmonton and Calgary on the 11th and 12th of December. And then they are off until the 15th back at MSG. Now I can't say what Patty would do, but I know what my family would have done. Fly the kids up before the game on Friday, spend time with Dad, enjoy a weekend together, and then Patty flies back into New York on Monday for practice. Again, who knows, but that is how my hockey family always handled these types of situations. I have known literally dozens of hockey families who would do the same.

The problem you guys are griping about is a solved problem. Hockey players, at all levels, deal with this exact situation ALL THE TIME. Consider this: Pete DeBoer's family lives in NJ. He was excited to see them during the last trip east. Probably excited to see them again during this next one. You know, because this happens ALL THE TIME.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Right. He won't move them. I've said that all along. With proper planning it isn't an issue.

Looking at the Ranger's schedule, they have a back to back against Edmonton and Calgary on the 11th and 12th of December. And then they are off until the 15th back at MSG. Now I can't say what Patty would do, but I know what my family would have done. Fly the kids up before the game on Friday, spend time with Dad, enjoy a weekend together, and then Patty flies back into New York on Monday for practice. Again, who knows, but that is how my hockey family always handled these types of situations. I have known literally dozens of hockey families who would do the same.

The problem you guys are griping about is a solved problem. Hockey players, at all levels, deal with this exact situation ALL THE TIME. Consider this: Pete DeBoer's family lives in NJ. He was excited to see them during the last trip east. Probably excited to see them again during this next one. You know, because this happens ALL THE TIME.

And why would marleau actually agree to this? That is the big difference between deboer choosing to live that kind of life and marleau choosing that life. Marleau has the perfect situation right now and has the say in where and when he gets to change it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

To your first part the simple response is what may have worked for your family is not universally applicable. The family thing isn't that big of a deal on the whole of it since his career is winding down but it's his choice and there are a lot more reasons to stay in San Jose for him than there is for him to go to New York. But you're the one on the other side of it marginalizing how important the family issue may be because family is more important to some people, especially when it comes to moving when it isn't necessary, than it is to others.

As for Smith, you would be incorrect. He's been injured pretty much all year so there's no evidence to support your claim that he doesn't fit the system or that DeBoer is playing guys ahead of him. I don't know where you get that he was benched due to performance. As for Torres, I sincerely doubt that the Sharks would have gotten the roster spot they seemingly requested if they could've just waived Torres to save the cap space. If that weren't the case, they would've waived him already. In either instance, you're waiving a player and getting nothing for them when they can be useful when available...and for what? Nash for Marleau is not much of an upgrade given the cap numbers plus the other issues that need addressing would be more pressing than tying up more cap dollars into less players.

The idea that Marleau no longer fits is absolutely ridiculous. Marleau plays any system you want to implement. McLellan was not dump and chase hockey. I don't know what you were watching and that line he's currently on does not play dump and chase hockey. I don't know what you have been watching this year.

As for the things I supposedly can't tell you...let me tell you not to assume anything about what I'd say. Patty's age is NOT an issue. 5v5 scoring is certainly an issue worth addressing but believing that the solution in some way is trading Marleau for Nash is a mistake, imo. I can't tell you that Marleau is a better possession player but I can tell you that the difference between Marleau and Nash in that regard relative to this team is minor. This team's 5v5 issues stem from a defense that does not have very much in terms of puck-moving capability and offensive instinct and a historic lack of forward depth beyond the top two lines getting it done with possession.

Having Nash over Marleau will not make the Sharks a better team. It will actually make the team worse. Not because Marleau is a better player than Nash but because it doesn't address the real issues of this team and it gives the team less assets in which to address it.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
And why would marleau actually agree to this? That is the big difference between deboer choosing to live that kind of life and marleau choosing that life. Marleau has the perfect situation right now and has the say in where and when he gets to change it.

Because Patrick Marleau wants to win the Stanley Cup. And maybe he wants to do right by the SJ Sharks before he retires. Or maybe he wants to be on a big market team before he retires to inflate his post-career value. Could even be because after 19 years, he just wants to play hockey somewhere else.

There are a lot of reasons.

Other than, my family lives here, what are the reasons to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad