Rumor: Interest in Marleau (report: willing to waive NMC for LA, ANA, NYR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Nah, I don't think he's going anywhere, and really hope this doesn't blow out of proportion and cause a distraction like last year.

I can believe teams are interested in him, just can't see marleau waving, nor do I think we should trade him.

I think it depends on whether we are in playoff contention around the TDL. Since we dont have our 1st round pick for next year, I would not be surprised if DW tries to get that back by trading Marleau. I honestly expect Patty to waive if asked, especially if we are not in playoff contention.

I really don't see it being a distraction though. The team will be in the playoff race by the TDL. I expect us to be significantly better once we get Cooter and Melker back.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
No way they trade Marleau as it would piss off too many fans. Unless DW can say Marleau wanted out.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
No way they trade Marleau as it would piss off too many fans. Unless DW can say Marleau wanted out.

I used to work for a big-named game company - and it would always shock me how little insight into our business the fans really had. After working there, I started seeing entertainment PR entirely differently. In my opinion, its clear from the way he was talking that Elliot Friedman was able to lead with that story only if he made it explicitly clear that DW had not asked him to waive. Only person I think would do that is DW. No one else would even know if he had been asked etc. More than likely wrong, but this story feels like a media plant to get the idea of Marleau waiving in people's head. Between this coming from such a respected source, the emphasis on mutually agreeing to part, the trade rumors over the summer (Marleau for Nash was talked about by Eklund...), and Marleau not denying the possibility of him waiving in the post game, I get the feeling that this may be the most realistic rumor to date. But again, who knows.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And 20 NHL scouts at the Barracuda game.

Think that's more a matter of convenience with two games in one town, for the same two organizations that simply scouting specific player.

Loved Marleau's response WRT rumors: they're starting early this year

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
trading Marleau would be the last straw for me... if it happened I'd be fully onboard the "Fire DW" train

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Given his tenure with the team he would be hard to trade.

However, it depends what we get for him. He appears to have turned it around this season and
he's playing pretty well overall. We still may not be a playoff team, we need picks/prospects or
young ready for the NHL full time, top 6 players.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The Sharks don't trade their big name players, we'll just let Patrick walk as a UFA like we did with Nabby and Boyle

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
The Sharks don't trade their big name players, we'll just let Patrick walk as a UFA like we did with Nabby and Boyle

As long as he produces at the NHL level with results that reflect his salary, we pretty much have no reason to let him walk into UFA.

Boyle was not getting it done and especially not at the money his agent was demanding. Most importantly, we had a coach that kept him at or near the top of the depth chart. Effectively stunting the growth of all the players underneath him.

Nabakov never got it done in the playoffs and could not adjust to the new direction on how NHL hockey is being played. ****** teammate, and certainly not worth what his agent was demanding.

Patrick is never going to be like either of those 2. As long as he keeps his physical conditioning, he can continue to be a 60 pt player at 40 years old.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Patty and Jumbo still are the faces of the franchise and have a ton of love from the area versus guys like Couture and Pavelski. Neither of them are leaving.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Panther fan curious what would be needed to add to our 2016 1st rounder pick to uproot Mr. Marleau out of San Jose?

General Fanager has our cap space at just under $6 million so we need to add a contract coming back.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Panther fan curious what would be needed to add to our 2016 1st rounder pick to uproot Mr. Marleau out of San Jose?

General Fanager has our cap space at just under $6 million so we need to add a contract coming back.

Depends on what you have available with that pick. I'm sure it wouldn't take much with that pick. However, convincing Marleau himself to waive for Florida may be a tough sell.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Depends on what you have available with that pick. I'm sure it wouldn't take much with that pick. However, convincing Marleau himself to waive for Florida may be a tough sell.

We would have to send a contract back your way to fit but would overpay to off set that piece of the deal. What are your needs? we have a fair bit of prospects on Center and Defense.

Good point on the bolded part, hoping we would be in a playoff spot come December/January, it's a good spot for taxes and him being accustomed to warm weather. I'm sure we aren't his first team he has on his list but maybe Jagr and Luongo can convince him?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We would have to send a contract back your way to fit but would overpay to off set that piece of the deal. What are your needs? we have a fair bit of prospects on Center and Defense.

Good point on the bolded part, hoping we would be in a playoff spot come December/January, it's a good spot for taxes and him being accustomed to warm weather. I'm sure we aren't his first team he has on his list but maybe Jagr and Luongo can convince him?

It's tough to say what the needs are in the organization. They have a little bit of something in terms of youth at most positions but nothing that is incredibly deep so I'm sure they could use anything.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Definitely an A prospect or couple B prospects. Preferably some talented one.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's tough to say what the needs are in the organization. They have a little bit of something in terms of youth at most positions but nothing that is incredibly deep so I'm sure they could use anything.

Definitely an A prospect or couple B prospects. Preferably some talented one.

2016 1st + Pirri + Mackenzie

2016 1st + Hawryluk/Rau + Jokinen

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Possession numbers and plus/minus tell a different story.

Not really and plus/minus? Come on now. The 2nd line has a developing center stepping into that role...not Thornton. Thornton has always been a dominant possession player but you see momentum change when that 2nd line comes on.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not really and plus/minus? Come on now. The 2nd line has a developing center stepping into that role...not Thornton. Thornton has always been a dominant possession player but you see momentum change when that 2nd line comes on.

Which way is the momentum going though? Lol. Plus/minus means goals for vs goals against pretty much. So if one line is +18 and one line is +2 ( 1 player being a -2, only top 6 player to have a minus on the team and that player isn't a rookie or a 3rd line developing player).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Which way is the momentum going though? Lol. Plus/minus means goals for vs goals against pretty much. So if one line is +18 and one line is +2 ( 1 player being a -2, only top 6 player to have a minus on the team and that player isn't a rookie or a 3rd line developing player).

You're fooling yourself if you believe that the 2nd line isn't tilting the ice in the positive direction in the past week or two. You're utilizing the entire season's +/- to justify such an opinion which is silly when Marleau is the one tasked with double shifting far more often than anyone else.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
You're fooling yourself if you believe that the 2nd line isn't tilting the ice in the positive direction in the past week or two. You're utilizing the entire season's +/- to justify such an opinion which is silly when Marleau is the one tasked with double shifting far more often than anyone else.

Getting double shifted once per game? Sounds taxing on that plus minus. Maybe the coach should stop it, if it comes at the expense of goals against that badly lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad