Post-Game Talk: Inigo Montoya slays his father's killer! Jets win 1-0

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think the defense deserves a lot of credit for that shutout. Montoya did a great job of positioning and squaring up, but there were a lot of juicy rebounds that Sens were not able to get on the end of due to close checking and busy sticks.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Because we won I don't see a shake up in the forward lines.
The next time they need to I would like to see.

Kane-Burm-Wheeler
Ladd-Jokinen-Little
Poni-Antro-Welly
Wright-Slater-Sniper

Antropov played alright but also was responsible for some big give aways especially late in the game.

Kane was very good on the PK
3 days to see if Buff or Bogo can get in the lineup.

If Mittens ever does get healthy I'm not sure if has a spot?
4th line?

Someone ask 2012 Wheeler to come back!

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009

Kane-Burm-Wheeler
Ladd-Jokinen-Little
Poni-Antro-Welly
Wright-Slater-Sniper

Antropov played alright but also was responsible for some big give aways especially late in the game.

Kane was very good on the PK
3 days to see if Buff or Bogo can get in the lineup.

If Mittens ever does get healthy I'm not sure if has a spot?
4th line?

haha Zhamnov 5 goal game! I remember that. Was that a 7-7 tie against the Kings or Whalers in 1995? I remember seeing the box score of that as a kid, thinking wow... crazy how some games stick in your head. Only time Alexei fixated into the top 10 in NHL scoring. He was No. 3 behind Jagr and Lindros. What a season.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Antropov threw the puck away all game

Jokin becoming invisible, with him and Wellwood you might as well dress Peluso and bring up any forward from St. Johns in their place

Wheeler playing like early and late season Wheeler of 2011-2012 no intensity, not skating like he did when he was the best player on the team for that large middle part of last season.

Hard to say who is the better of Redmond or Postma right now, Redmond better defensively but Postma better offensively, I would say it's a toss-up.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not what I meant. I see Redmond as having more upside than Postma. Am I out in left field

To be honest it depends more on the team and need.
Postma's ceiling is a #4 PMD with 1st/2nd PPQB while Redmond is a #4 two-way D who can support 2nd PP and play the PK.

So I'd say Redmond is more valuable to us since we have Byfuglien and Bogosian on our roster, but Postma could be more valuable for other teams, even if both hit their respective ceilings.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
To be honest it depends more on the team and need.
Postma's ceiling is a #4 PMD with 1st/2nd PPQB while Redmond is a #4 two-way D who can support 2nd PP and play the PK.

So I'd say Redmond is more valuable to us since we have Byfuglien and Bogosian on our roster, but Postma could be more valuable for other teams, even if both hit their respective ceilings.

I think that might be the key here. Redmond has more value to us long term because he is more of a 2-way guy. Postma is kinda redundant with Enstron and Buff and even Bogo who can put up 30 points while in a defensive role. That's a lot of offense from 3 guys. Like you said, Postma could have some pretty good value to other teams in need of an offensive guy.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Well damn what do u know! A nice 2 pts on the road and we're a game closer to buff and bogo's return! I'll take that!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not what I meant. I see Redmond as having more upside than Postma. Am I out in left field

I wouldnt say upside, but he plays a much better all around game than Postma and has been my favorite of the two since the end of last year in the AHL.

His two-way game is something we need more of than Postmas offence.

Blackie Dammit

proud flatlander
Jun 27, 2011
Interlake
I hope Buff is back for Tuesday, even though Clitsome has played pretty well, he will sit. I imagine Bogo will be pretty close to go for Thursday as he has been skating pretty hard since camp opened and should be in great shape

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008

Kane-Burm-Wheeler
Ladd-Jokinen-Little
Poni-Antro-Welly
Wright-Slater-Sniper

Agreed, those are the lines I'd like to see as well.

Kane needs a offensively creative center to feed him (Burmi), while Jokinen needs a offensively creative winger (Little) to feed him.

I don't know if we'll ever see 2012 Wheeler back. I don't think we'll see the LLW line back together since Little is playing so well on the wing.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
haha Zhamnov 5 goal game! I remember that. Was that a 7-7 tie against the Kings or Whalers in 1995? I remember seeing the box score of that as a kid, thinking wow... crazy how some games stick in your head. Only time Alexei fixated into the top 10 in NHL scoring. He was No. 3 behind Jagr and Lindros. What a season.

It was a 7 - 7 tie in LA.
The 5th goal was a breakaway "Lemieux" deke (although Zhamnov was always more impressive. Mario did it with reach and skill... Alexei did it with just skill).
He was tied for 1st in scoring late in the season. Jagr and Lindros outscored him in the last 2 days of the season.
Still highest finish for any Jet ever.
And he did that with Selanne on the shelf.

If a Jet scored 5 goals in a game now my head would explode!!!

Below is a link to an example of the deke... different game but same magic!!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...1FC09C5AB345E3B2479C1FC09&first=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I remember that year, there was even talk that Zhamnov was better than Selanne; then the back problems started. I guess it was from carrying the Jets on his back that year.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't know if we'll ever see 2012 Wheeler back. I don't think we'll see the LLW line back together since Little is playing so well on the wing.

The problem is noels system. It is not good for players like kane and wheeler who thrive on a north/south game. Our new system plugs up the neutral zone slowing down the game and gets the wingers to come deep in our zone. Very rare will they get that long stretch pass and be one on one with a defender.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The problem is noels system. It is not good for players like kane and wheeler who thrive on a north/south game. Our new system plugs up the neutral zone slowing down the game and gets the wingers to come deep in our zone. Very rare will they get that long stretch pass and be one on one with a defender.

Noel's system allows you to win games with the roster you were dealt with, when players deviate from it the Jets lose, the downside is less offence and the need to hold the opposition to few shots and hopefully few goals, an average goal-tender is required.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I was talking specifically about the last PK - our possession was at least as good as the Sens while we were on the PK, and they were able to move things out of their own zone pretty reasonably without resorting to throwing it down the ice. PK over, new line on, and we're stuck in our own zone again. I can post the video of it, if you'd like. :D I do trust stats (my minor was in stats - I'll skip a discussion about backwards-looking nature of sports stats - I do support it as a method to explain what you're seeing after the fact 100%), but in this case, the visual supports the claim as well as the stats will, IMHO.
AIH posted the possession stats for each player for each strength (ES, PP, PK):
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/winn...s-vs-ottawa-senators-saturday-february-9-2013

Good news for special teams (sorta):
Nobody on the PP was negative... YAY! (that's such a sad, sad thing to be happy about haha)
Some of us on the PK were even (Burmistrov) or positive (Clitsome and Redmond)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
AIH posted the possession stats for each player for each strength (ES, PP, PK):
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/winn...s-vs-ottawa-senators-saturday-february-9-2013

Good news for special teams (sorta):
Nobody on the PP was negative... YAY! (that's such a sad, sad thing to be happy about haha)
Some of us on the PK were even (Burmistrov) or positive (Clitsome and Redmond)

Where do the raw numbers come from? Redmond was out-Fenwicked by 10? Antro was positive? Are you sure this is from the Ottawa game this afternoon? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad