Inactive Franchise.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If the franchise is indeed inactive and the Utah team is a "new" franchise inheriting the players and hockey ops staff... does that mean when the deal is finalized this summer that the NHL will technically have 33 teams in it?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
yes I made a mistake on the Sens...but the Millionaires were never and NHL squad.

i'm not gonna spend my day googling for you. go spend some time. listen to the Sportsnet podcasts, read some papers. it's everywhere....
100% the Coyotes Franchise is being made "Inactive" and the Utah team is NOT taking the Franchise, just players and staff.

End of the day, what does it matter if they are made inactive? It affects only them and no other team. WPG for example isn't getting their Jets 1.0 history back as they made their deal already. This would be a one off thing, because if it is the case, that is how they structured this particular deal.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Inactive franchise is when your team hasn't won a cup in over 50 years.
IMO.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
End of the day, what does it matter if they are made inactive? It affects only them and no other team. WPG for example isn't getting their Jets 1.0 history back as they made their deal already. This would be a one off thing, because if it is the case, that is how they structured this particular deal.
Well it's a new thing the BOG has never done before... that sets an entirely new precedent. outside of the current league rules....

. allegedly WPG management for instance has tried repeatedly to get Jet 1.0 history and dump the Thrashers on the "official record"

until now the answer has been "The franchise is the franchise and that franchise moved"....

Except now suddenly, maybe the franchise is no longer the franchise.?!

...so maybe the BOG has decided that there is some flexibility to how the record books work....

So maybe Winnipeg will get thier Ducky back in the row?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
AFAIk they haven't made any announcement/decisions with regards to the team history? Wouldn't make sense to "leave" it in Phoenix... what if the NHL never returns there?

What the NHL should do with Winnipeg is follow the NBA's lead with Charlotte. Give the "new" version their old history back. Same thing the NFL did with the Browns.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The NHL is such a different league than it was when it had the original six (which aren't even the original six for the record). If cups and history count before expansion it might as well count back before the cup had rings on it too.

Who the hell cares? Lets just embrace the history in whatever way works for whatever franchise.

Only reason not to do it is so we can have a dick measuring contest for cup wins that happened before we were born.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Whenever a team relocates, as far as I'm concerned, they should be forced to leave every little bit of their previous identity behind. The Hurricanes wearing Whalers jerseys is a joke. Same with Avs wearing Nordiques logos. So you want to leave the city you originated from yet make money off of your previous identity? F off. That name, logo, jersey belongs to Hartford/Quebec. Once you relocate, you shouldn't be allowed to use the jersey or logo of your former identity ever again. It stays with the city.

Much respect to Cleveland for fighting for their Browns history (and winning).

Reactions: DaveG and BB79

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
The NHL is such a different league than it was when it had the original six (which aren't even the original six for the record). If cups and history count before expansion it might as well count back before the cup had rings on it too.

Who the hell cares? Lets just embrace the history in whatever way works for whatever franchise.
This is kind of my point.

How does it negatively impact Leafs or Bruins or Lightning fans that Jets fans care about the Avco Cups or Selanne?

The NHL does a terrible job of embracing hockey history.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is just one news source though. Why would other news sources say expansion team, not re-activated team? The TSN source also said Meruelo would have to pay back the 1 bil to the NHL to get the expansion team.

Because they're the same thing. A team can both be reactivated and be an expansion team at the same time.

This has already happened in the NHL before. The Cleveland Barons, formerly the California Golden Seals, went inactive and the league merged the team with the Minnesota North Stars. Then, 13 years later, the franchise was reactivated as the expansion San Jose Sharks.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I remember when the San Jose Sharks came into the league, there franchise was based on the California Golden Seals folding and merging with the Minnesota North Stars(in the late 70s). That's why they had the weird draft where they split the roster and both got expansion picks

Reactions: DaveG

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
100%. Why not? They absorbed the league. The Jets have Hull's number in the rafters for his time in the WHA.

The NBA absorbed ABA records.
No, the NBA didn’t accept any ABA records, they are separate much like the WHA and NHL. The ABA NBA merger was actually quite a disgrace, the NBA heavily sanctioned the 4 incoming teams with fees, restrictions that forced those teams to sell off their best players to be able to afford staying in the NBA. While is was not as bad as the AFL and NFL merger, it still was very punitive. What’s crazy was how many great players came from the ABA, talent wise, it was probably the better league but the NBA hit them hard during the merger.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and Skidooboy

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
what is an inactive franchis?

if as is currently being reported…..the Phoenix coyotes franchise is indeed made “inactive“ for the next five years or more while the league searches for a new Phoenix owner/Murrllo builds a rink…

this means that apparently, a franchise in the NHL is no longer always a franchise no matter where it is…

a new precedent for NHL Franchise and what that word means is now set.

Does that open the door to Winnipeg being able to eliminate the thrashers from our franchise history and reclaim Winnipeg Jets 1.0 history? this has happened with Both NBA and NFL… is the NHL doing this?

furthermore, what happens to Atlanta if they get another expansion team would they be able to have both the flames and the thrashers history on their books?

what is the NHL doing here? discuss.
It’s a paper move to get away from the owner and the litigation that could take years to settle. They’re paying him to go away and at the same time letting Gary Bettman keep his dream of hockey in AZ alive.

I don’t think it changes anything for all franchises. The Yotes history was already complicated with multiple moves and they’re a team that will always be confusing that way. As Minnesota is.

Reactions: DaveG

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
It’s a paper move to get away from the owner and the litigation that could take years to settle. They’re paying him to go away and at the same time letting Gary Bettman keep his dream of hockey in AZ alive.

I don’t think it changes anything for all franchises. The Yotes history was already complicated with multiple moves and they’re a team that will always be confusing that way. As Minnesota is.
I get all that...

but the point is until this the BOG and the NHL has always maintained "The Franchise Is The Franchise" ...

now, it isn't... the rules have changed.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I get all that...

but the point is until this the BOG and the NHL has always maintained "The Franchise Is The Franchise" ...

now, it isn't... the rules have changed.
I don’t think so. I think they just did this to get rid of the guy, attempts to change the way everyone thinks of franchises based on this concept they found themselves forced into seems pretty futile.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Much respect to Cleveland for fighting for their Browns history (and winning).
I really don't under$tand why, other than obviou$ rea$ons, a franchise would want to keep the history of their previous life when relocating. Other than the Stars, about all of them go on to create completely new identities anyways. New name, logo, colors, etc.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
So what happens if they do get an arena built in AZ?
Another expansion draft to re-populate the Coyotes?

I don't see that happening. Coyotes are done.
Meruelo can give it a year or two and say "we gave it a shot but couldn't get a deal done."

And then they can close the books permanently.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I don’t think so. I think they just did this to get rid of the guy, attempts to change the way everyone thinks of franchises based on this concept they found themselves forced into seems pretty futile.
the why and how doesn't matter...the change in policy matters. there's two or three teams probably that wouldn't mind shedding some old history and 2-3 wouldn't mind linking that history back.... enough voices on the BOG could change thigs easily.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
So what happens if they do get an arena built in AZ?
Another expansion draft to re-populate the Coyotes?

I don't see that happening. Coyotes are done.
Meruelo can give it a year or two and say "we gave it a shot but couldn't get a deal done."

And then they can close the books permanently.
I agree Murello is done.
(Dredger was saying on his podcast "sources in the BOG" expect him to fail hitting his benchmarks 32 Thoughts: The Podcast).

.maybe even the coyotes are done? But the league wants that market....and won't give up on it 100%....

it might be years...but if the right owner with the right deal raised a hand? the Valley will get an NHL team....

which will rapidly fail again...but that's not my problem...

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
the why and how doesn't matter...the change in policy matters. there's two or three teams probably that wouldn't mind shedding some old history and 2-3 wouldn't mind linking that history back.... enough voices on the BOG could change thigs easily.
I don’t think they changed policy. I think you kind of just want to see it that way, which is fine. It seems highly unlikely teams are just going to stop acknowledging their history because of what happened in AZ. I think there’s only a section of fans that want to disengage with their past, I don’t think any ownerships feel the need. Most teams in that situation profit from it. Colorado and Carolina both do. There’s definitely a group of Canes fans that are sick of hearing about the Whalers and wish they had a separate identity but the team makes a killing off Whalers jerseys and it’s not like all the fans feel that way. History is history and wanting to avoid it is…..whatever but I don’t see any of the teams in question just cutting it off. Especially not just because of the chosen term for the AZ exit strategy.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I don’t think they changed policy. I think you kind of just want to see it that way, which is fine. It seems highly unlikely teams are just going to stop acknowledging their history because of what happened in AZ. I think there’s only a section of fans that want to disengage with their past, I don’t think any ownerships feel the need. Most teams in that situation profit from it. Colorado and Carolina both do. There’s definitely a group of Canes fans that are sick of hearing about the Whalers and wish they had a separate identity but the team makes a killing off Whalers jerseys and it’s not like all the fans feel that way. History is history and wanting to avoid it is…..whatever but I don’t see any of the teams in question just cutting it off. Especially not just because of the chosen term for the AZ exit strategy.
1. there's more than fans...Chipman has been lobbying to get the Jets 1.0 history in Winnipeg....He's not a fan...he's a member of the BOG, a popular and well liked one at that. and the BOG has changed the last 20 years...a lot of the old guys who had "all the power", are gone. replaced with corporate drones voted in members from big corporations like Bell media etc... power base4s are shifting...

2. they 100% changed policy... they went from "the franchise is the franchise wherever it goes"...to "This TEAM is moving, but the franchise is staying put" how is that not a 1200% reversal on previous business....? how can you even say that's not a change?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Of course, there is one example of this sort of thing being done r3troactively which was the Charlotte Hornets situation which retroactively returned the original Hornets records (frm their Charlotte days) and name to Charlotte from New Orleans and the New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans retroactively becoming an expansion franchise and the Charlotte Bobcats becoming not an expansion franchise but merely a chapter of the Charlotte Hornets franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad