Prospect Info: In the System Part VI (Preds Prospect/Minor League Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Hodgson didn't do anything above average while he was here. He didn't produce offensively. He didn't contribute defensively in any way shape or form on a special level. He certainly wasn't physical. I can't recall how many times he had the chance to finish a check or go in to a corner and use his body only not to. He isn't a faceoff wiz. So tell me why he deserved any more ice time than he got? It wasn't PL who made that decision, it was PL watching Hodgson play and giving him the minutes he deserved from his efforts. As much as I hate Nystrom, you know the reason he made it to the third line? He hustles out there and tries to play the body. You know why Jarnkrok is out there all the time, because he hustles his butt off for the entire ice surface.

The love fest for Hodgson is ridiculous. If he were so valuable and wanted other teams would've picked him up off of waivers. He has obviously sustained an injury that he is either unable to work through or compromises his once above average skill set that made him a number 1 pick. Sometimes kids make it, sometimes they don't. More often than not it's on the player that they have failed. I watched him and would always want more from him as a player and obviously the coaches saw the same thing and that's why he's in Milwaukee.

If he were that great a player, he should be dominating the AHL, regardless of who his linemates are. Unfortunately, he's not tearing it up down there so that tells me all I need to know about him at this point.

I think the commentary re: Hodgson is more about in the scheme of things than about love. Or at least blind love, cuz blind love would be claiming he's things that he isn't. Like, um, people might be saying that he's "so valuable".

But anyway, for sure Nystrom and Jarnkrok (and there are others of course, but you just flagged those as examples so I will) hustle out there. In Nystrom's case often chasing hits of the useless variety and in Jarnkrok's too often getting knocked off the puck (or off his feet altogether) despite the effort. But still, there's something to be said for hustling, playing hard, etc.

Two things though -

1] "hustle" is personal to the player and subjectively perceived. In every element (style, speed, strength, etc.), Nystrom has a range, his own range, which may or may not be the same range as Jarnkrok, that's the personal to the player part. The subjective part is that we only think Jarnkrok tries his butt off every shift to hit his limit, in reality he may have tons more in that he's not putting on the ice.

Like those guys, Hodgson has his own range and just cuz he's not taking every opportunity to hit doesn't mean he's not working his own butt off hitting his limit. In other words, fair enough to say he doesn't play as physical as Nystrom or as flying off his feet as Jarnkrok, but that the kid's style is different from other guys doesn't actually mean he's not "hustling" in his own way within his own range. To be fair, you might be better off comparing Hodgson to guys with a similar game style - like Ribeiro for example.

2] If hustling was really all so important, Arvidsson and Fiala wouldn't even be question marks right now, Salomaki would have taken over Neal's top 6 spot, and Fisher and Ribs would have both been seeing loonngg stretches in the press box this season. Instead though, no matter how much Arviddsson hustles, he's just not ready. In fact I've been theorizing since his first handful of games that his big "issue" right now is that while his hustle is awesome it seems to come more from simply trying TOO hard to stick on the Preds.

Anyway, while I agree that Hodgson wasn't remarkable for the most part, there's something to be said for the fact that the entire forward group hasn't been especially remarkable (exception to the new 1C of course, lol) and of course the stats show he was actually producing at a better clip per minute in multiple categories than most all of the other forwards. Defensively I think you're blowing it out of the field and would again flag enhanced and basic stats where he stood out on the leader board among all regular forwards. Faceoffs? Who cares anymore. Heck, the more the season goes on, the more even Ribeiro's performance has improved while Jarnkrok's numbers are pretty much the same as Hodgson's now. Go figure.

I think the waiving is more the result of what PL said when Hodgson was scratched that first game - there's no role for him on the Preds after all. The top 6 is full of PL's preferences and the bottom 6 has guys far better suited to the "hustle" and hit chasing types, which Hodgson simply isn't.

Anyway, talking about dominating in the AHL, you may want to double-check your premise there. He's only at 1ppg right now, but pretty sure his first night back into his natural center role saw his line take all the stars honors due to the multi point nights from him and Fiala along with his PK duty, etc. In other words, he's been about as dominant as should be expected of a kid who has proven he can play top 6 in the NHL. Whether or not he ever returns to the NHL is another matter of course. For the Preds, I'd guess (and expect) mgmt would rather give roster spots to kids whose futures they are invested into.

http://admiralsroundtable.com/2016/01/31/chatterbox-vol-107/

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Speaking of lots of (I suspect desperation motivated) "hustle" but little else, so it's Arvidsson who gets the call up. Kinda surprised it wasn't Fiala.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Speaking of lots of (I suspect desperation motivated) "hustle" but little else, so it's Arvidsson who gets the call up. Kinda surprised it wasn't Fiala.

Poile pretty much said as much the other morning..... Fiala more of a future help rather than a current. Arvy makes a ton more sense if it's gonna' be on more limited minutes while Fiala can be down taking regular shifts.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Poile pretty much said as much the other morning..... Fiala more of a future help rather than a current. Arvy makes a ton more sense if it's gonna' be on more limited minutes while Fiala can be down taking regular shifts.

The problem is we don't need future help, we need help now, today, yesterday. And when I say we don't need future help, I know everyone needs upcoming talent, I understand that. But we need someone who can step in now. Other than a few bad plays Fiala exceeded Arvidsson IMO. Arvidsson is just a warm object in the way on the ice who will get pushed around and knocked over every shift.

Basically Arvidsson is this:

51ZA9xbsDjL._SY355_.jpg

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The problem is we don't need future help, we need help now, today, yesterday. And when I say we don't need future help, I know everyone needs upcoming talent, I understand that. But we need someone who can step in now. Other than a few bad plays Fiala exceeded Arvidsson IMO. Arvidsson is just a warm object in the way on the ice who will get pushed around and knocked over every shift.

Basically Arvidsson is this:

51ZA9xbsDjL._SY355_.jpg

I 100% agree with you the team needs help now. IMO and in the opinion of Poile and Lavi. Ardvsson is the player closest to supplying that help. Right or wrong Just like Jarnkro, Wilson and Smith they have hitched the team to Arvidsson. If the team fails these players will be large contributors to that failure.

While on a 4 game win streak the teams starts down the stretch. Hopefully there best hockey is ahead of them. But on the other hand it is the stretch run the other teams will be putting out there best effort as well. The Preds have a 59% chance to make the playoffs right now. But the line is thin. If they had 3 less points they would have but a 31% chance at the post season. They are going to need .630 hockey the rest of the way to make it. They currently set at .560 in collecting points and a win loss of .480. This team is going to need to be SIGNIFICANTLY better the last 32 games than they have been over the last 85 games across two seasons.

The wagon is hitched and a rough schedule is ahead with playoff bound teams. We will soon know if we are sellers by 1 Feb. IMO we are sellers but the players we move will not return the help needed to improve this limping wagon.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
In the AHL we have a guy like Aberg who can put the puck into the back of the net, but we keep calling up Arvidsson? Yea, sure he might not look out of place there but he's a useless player for us right now. Aberg has more offensive talent than Arvidsson. Also he has more size and weight so he wouldn't get pushed around. I say we call up him and put him on a line with 92 and 18. Then we have 33 and 57 back. Weattack the Sharks with this lineup:

Aberg-92-18
9-63-19
33-12-15
57-28-20

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
In the AHL we have a guy like Aberg who can put the puck into the back of the net, but we keep calling up Arvidsson? Yea, sure he might not look out of place there but he's a useless player for us right now. Aberg has more offensive talent than Arvidsson. Also he has more size and weight so he wouldn't get pushed around. I say we call up him and put him on a line with 92 and 18. Then we have 33 and 57 back. Weattack the Sharks with this lineup:

Aberg-92-18
9-63-19
33-12-15
57-28-20

Aberg may be bigger, but he most definitely does not have more talent\skill than Arvidsson. Arvidsson has been a better player at every level.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Arvidsson is too weak for the NHL.

Aberg, might not be, I'd like to see, I've seen enough of Arvidsson.

Yeah, we've already seen what we got in Arvidsson. Time for others to try. Who knows how they might play and what it might trigger. And it's not like we have anything to lose now.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
This AM is probably not the time to throw darts at Arvy; he had pretty limited time last night because of all the special team play, but he was pretty effective, particularly in the 2nd - drew a penalty, had a nice attempt that Mason got with a shoulder, set Hook up with one that he couldn't finish. If we're gonna' be tossing folks aside, they need to be the old guys that are at the end of the line, not a guy that clearly has some skill but needs to get stronger on his skates to see if he can translate his game.

and I'm not necessarily advocating he be on this roster now; I firmly believe GMDP has screwed the pooch putting this together tho and at the moment he's an adequate choice, unless there's someone we haven't seen. We knew we had a roster built to Trotz' style when we hired Lavy, and while Poile certainly got some upgrades, all he did was take the top 3 that we had (which wasn't a top 3) and make it better without any depth behind the upgrades, which has resulted in a bottom 6 that may be the worst we've seen since before the lockout.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
speaking of prospects, see where in ESPN hockey prospect list Fiala is now ranked 8th, Kamenev 12th, and Saors the top goaltending prospect in the minors by them.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Trevor Murphy, playing wing tonight because the team is shorthanded there has 2 goals and 2 assists with 7 minutes left in the 2nd.

Edit: Another goal and assist in the 3rd for Murphy. Aaron Sims says everything's coming up Milhouse. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Trevor Murphy, playing wing tonight because the team is shorthanded there has 2 goals and 2 assists with 7 minutes left in the 2nd.

Edit: Another goal and assist in the 3rd for Murphy. Aaron Sims says everything's coming up Milhouse. :biglaugh:

Well, there we have it, the solution to our 1st line LW problem :sarcasm:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Arvidsson is too weak for the NHL.

Aberg, might not be, I'd like to see, I've seen enough of Arvidsson.

Aberg has a cannon of a shot, probably the heaviest on the Admirals. You notice it when he misses the net and hits the end boards. They really BOOM!

Aberg hasn't played as well this season as he did last season. I don't know why.

Arvy needs to build but some more muscle. Remember Cliff Ronning? He wasn't an Olympic weightlifter either. Martin St. Louis isn't a big guy. There is room in the NHL for such players. There isn't a lot of room for them, but it exists.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Aberg just seems to be the guy lost in the shuffle of all of our marginal forward prospects. I wonder if he will be moved at the deadline this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad