In The System Part IV (Preds Prospect, Minor League Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
For a 6'3" 18 y/o with such long legs, Jones skating was really smooth. I don't really watch a lot of the technical stuff with players, but that stood out to me.

You know what I so love the most about camp? The large grown adults that come and just stand at the top of the landings, in the corners, against the glass, with very large backpacks...and are then joined by their 2 friends.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Heading down to the scrimmage. Will try to write up my thoughts this weekend.

Thought Forsberg, Jones, and Ã…berg were the top skaters on Tuesday when I went. Didn't see Hellberg, but Mazanec did good in the goalie drills only to really struggle in actual drills. Re,indeed me of Vokoun stylistically. Both Czech and "backwards" goalies. Mazanec has a strong glove hand. Only saw Saros briefly, but didn't see a puck go by him. Small, but in position and smooth with his movements. Looking forward to seeing him in a game today.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
You can't teach size

I forget just how big Watson really is.

Look at this picture of him next to Johnny Oduya, from Hockey's future's Nashville page.

austin_watson_nashville_040713.jpg

Their skates are pretty close to one another, so it's not an optical illusion, Watson is just big. Gaustad is taller, but he's not thick like Watson. If he can continue to develop, he's going to be tough to defend, while being able to dominate other center's physically.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I read that the Leipsic/Aberg/? line is on fire.

Watson also played with this line quite a bit. They dominated possession, and Leipsic has some ridiculous hands. He also made some really impressive passes. He and Watson were the most impressive players on the ice and had the best line far and away. Forsberg looked solid, but I couldn't see him as well from the far end. Jones definetly did NOT stick out to me, and he got pushed around a little more than I expected. He was also on the far end so I can't be to judgmental.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Sebastian

Big hits, a little scrum behind the net, 2 goals, and another off the post. He stood out as much as anyone, including Forsberg. I don't know what the rest of his camp was like, but he deserves a shot in MIL based on the scrimmage today. Reminded me of Tootoo's aggressive play, with an accurate shot.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Cellblock 303‏@Cellblock303
"Austin Watson was the best player out there today." - #Preds HC Barry Trotz on the performances in the #ScooterCup.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm really liking some of the players that will be coming over from Europe next season or in the near future.

Miikka Salomaki is a guy that I think many people are sleeping on. I don't see him being a top six player at the NHL level but he seems like a guy that you could put on the third line and know that you will have a physical skater who is good in his own zone and can also chip in offensively. The guy will be with the Admirals next season and don't be surprised if he shows up (especially during the playoffs).

Pontus Aberg is also an intriguing prospect in that he is a player that breaks the usual Predator mould due to the fact that he is a shoot first player. He is also a great skater and could be an asset on the PP. I had the pleasure of being able to watch many of his games for Djurgarden last season and I believe there are some uploaded on the internet. He outshone Wennberg who just went 14th overall and tallied 40pts in 52 games. He'll be with Farjestad in SEL next season.

Also another Scandinavian I really like is Max Gortz. The guy has really good size and a nice slap shot and is pretty good technically. He had a pretty nice season with Farjestad and we'll see if he has another level. We'll probably see him in Milwaukee with Aberg in the 14-15 season.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Or a roster solution, a rotation between Beck, Watson, and maybe Budish?

All three need consistent playing time, and Budish isn't remotely ready for the NHL. Watson and Budish will both start the year in Milwaukee unless Smith just totally phones it in during camp. Beck has a very good shot at making the roster, though, assuming Spaling does not return.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
All three need consistent playing time, and Budish isn't remotely ready for the NHL. Watson and Budish will both start the year in Milwaukee unless Smith just totally phones it in during camp. Beck has a very good shot at making the roster, though, assuming Spaling does not return.

I agree, Budish was invisible today. It was disappointing because with the size and physical advantage he has I would really think he would stand out against some of these younger under developed players.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
There's a thread on the prospects page about the ideal future line-up (3 years or so). I posted:

FForsberg-Wilson-Hornqvist
Aberg-Leipsic-Stalberg
Watson-Fisher-Bourque
Nystrom-Legwand-Budish

Beck/Sissons

Weber-Josi
Jones-Klein
Ekhlom-Ellis

Rinne
Hellberg

Thoughts? Changes?

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
There's a thread on the prospects page about the ideal future line-up (3 years or so). I posted:

Aberg-Leipsic-Stalberg
Watson-Fisher-Bourque
Nystrom-Legwand-Budish

Beck/Sissons

Weber-Josi
Jones-Klein
Ekhlom-Ellis

Rinne
Hellberg

Thoughts? Changes?

I'm not high on Budish and don't see him making it, but he does have the size and was a second round pick so you never know. I see Salomaki making the bottom six three years from now. I also think with Beck's progression he'll be in the team. I don't think Legwand will be here and maybe not Fisher as well. I certainly see Watson taking one of those spots and our centers being Wilson, Leipsic, Watson and some vet from trade/FA or possibly Fisher. Aberg is a pure sniper so I like you having him in there. I also wouldn't count out Jimmy Vesey making the Preds if he has graduated from Harvard by then.

Right now you're prediction seems pretty good to me. But we don't know how high we will be drafting in the next three years. Maybe (hopefully not) we suck one season and pick a high-end forward in the top 10, which would change the look of the top-6.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN

Aberg-Leipsic-Stalberg
Watson-Fisher-Bourque
Nystrom-Legwand-Budish

Beck/Sissons

Weber-Josi
Jones-Klein
Ekhlom-Ellis

Rinne
Hellberg

Thoughts? Changes?

Not sure about Beck being a scratch. I think he makes the team this year or at the latest next year full time. That guy really impressed me and seemed like a colin Wilson type forward. He's gonna be good, imo.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Not sure about Beck being a scratch. I think he makes the team this year or at the latest next year full time. That guy really impressed me and seemed like a colin Wilson type forward. He's gonna be good, imo.

Who do you replace? Is Watson a center? If so, bump out Leggy?

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I'll have a go at the team in three years myself:

Aberg-Wilson-Forsberg
Stalberg-Leipsic-Beck
Salomaki-Watson-Hornqvist
Bourque-Fisher-Nystrom
Budish/Sissons

Josi-Weber
Jones-Klein
Ekholm-Vainonen
Noonan

Rinne
Hellberg

Last edited:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'll have a go at the team in three years myself:

Aberg-Wilson-Forsberg
Stalberg-Leipsic-Beck
Salomaki-Watson-Hornqvist
Bourque-Fisher-Nystrom
Budish/Sissons

Josi-Weber
Jones-Klein
Ekholm-Vainonen
Noonan

Rinne
Hellberg

FYI, Leipsic is listed as a LW on the Preds website. Also, even if he makes the move to center, he's a bit small for that position. I think he'd take less of a pounding on the wing.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
FYI, Leipsic is listed as a LW on the Preds website. Also, even if he makes the move to center, he's a bit small for that position. I think he'd take less of a pounding on the wing.

I thought I've seen him listed as center elsewhere. If he can, while size may be a factor, we are so weak down the middle that it's needed (at this point).

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom

Yeah but I don't see any other guys on our prospects list right now that I think could be a top 6 center. So, for the moment, Leipsic stays there. His size is a problem but we have seen that players can overcome that in the NHL. He clearly has huge scoring upside and great hands so we'll see. The only other guy I see that could be a second line center in our prospects list right now is Austin Watson. But I have him projected as more of a third line type player. We usually roll three scoring line anyway so that wouldn't waste his talent. I mean Stepan and Balisy don't project as top-6 centers (right now they don't project as NHL level players IMO), and they are the only other options I can see. Colton Sissons can also play center but he is a defensive-minded player.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
After watching Watson at camp last week I think he and Wilson would make a good one two punch. They both have size and Watson has improved his game, especially his shot lately. He was ripping them last week. Leipsic can overcome his size but only if it's on the wing. A kid who may top out at 170 lbs at this point isn't going to make it in the NHL at center. He looks more like a Sully/Kariya type than anything and if he's in the middle, he's going to take a lot wear on his smaller frame. Imagine him up against some of the bigger centers like Thornton and Kopitar, it's not going to work. Just because we don't have one in the system right now doesn't mean 3 years down the road we won't. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad