In The System Part IV (Preds Prospect, Minor League Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
last 3 posts -

I wish I could go, but working seven days a week and having to be in Murfreesboro for 12 hours Monday-Thursday prohibits that. I wish they would stream these things on the Preds website.

I just got back....I saw Forsberg...He's huge! Good hands too. In one drill he scored everytime except once. I'd say in that drill he was 4 for 5.

how did seth jones look? any forwards other than FF stick out?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I was able to watch the last group only during my lunch break but here are a few things I noticed...

Leipsic was not a participant today based on people who were present all day. I know he wasn't present in the last grouping, so not positive about the rest of the day but that was the report.

Budish moves really well for his size...like really really well compared to what I was expecting. He looked like the strongest from this group, but was really the only prospect I knew besides Watson.

Watson was in 2 groupings today. 1st and last, and again this is from others that were present all day. During the last grouping he spent a good amount of time with his skating especially in the corners. Unfortunately he still skates like a big guy unlike what I saw with Budish. He does stand out in group drills compared to everyone else, and he looks the part. He really looks like a man amongst boys with size and build, so its good he is starting to really thicken up.

Saros was the goalie I watched the most. He is quick, but really small. Looks even smaller on the ice than expected, frame etc.

Disclaimer. I'm not a scout. I watch hockey for fun.

Mercalius

Apr 23, 2013
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677372

Nashville Predators coach Barry Trotz isn't sure how to describe it, but looking at Seth Jones and Filip Forsberg, he knows his top prospects have it.

"You've seen a lot of players, over my career, that you know have gone on to have careers and all that, and they carry themselves a certain way," Trotz said Tuesday at Predators development camp.

"I can't explain it, you just see it, and I think both of them have that little bit of that 'it factor,' whatever 'it' is. I really can't explain it, but they seem to have that."

Jones, a defenseman, and Forsberg, a forward, could anchor their units in Nashville for years.

jlsg

Nov 8, 2006
Ellis does have 'it'. What Ellis doesn't have is about 6" and 30 lbs that Jones has.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Tons of coaches on the ice. More than I recall seeing in many years. Forsberg and Salomaki working together. Forsberg more fluid in drills. Roussel and Noonan working together. Roussel has great stick skills. Noonan a little iffy. Gortz has a major canon of a shot. Saw him rip a few. Sissons was with him but didn't catch much of him. Showed up a little late so this is the best I could do for now. Will post more later after the next session.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Tons of coaches on the ice. More than I recall seeing in many years. Forsberg and Salomaki working together. Forsberg more fluid in drills. Roussel and Noonan working together. Roussel has great stick skills. Noonan a little iffy. Gortz has a major canon of a shot. Saw him rip a few. Sissons was with him but didn't catch much of him. Showed up a little late so this is the best I could do for now. Will post more later after the next session.

Thanks...keep 'em coming!

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Willy Daunic ‏@WillyD1025 9 Jul
Trotz: Forsberg went back to Sweden. Graduated from High School--- and got his Drivers License! #HesYoung

Is this not typical Trotz speak

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
So here's a recap of session 2 and 3.

The big names in group 2, Jones, Aberg and Stepan. Jones was fluid with the skating coaches and seemed to pick things up quickly. Good placement of shots when I was paying attention. Stepan is extremely fluid out there on the ice. Good wheels. Aberg just looks pissed all the times I've seen him. Not sure what that means other than he's got a scowl which could be good or bad. Jones seemed to be getting frustrated a little towards the end of the session and not sure if it was at the drills or himself but he had a smile most of the time. Leipsic was out for the first part of this session and was working with Korn and the goalie. He was parked at the side of the net for one timers or rebounds and the kid can put the puck in the net quickly. No hesitation and the puck was buried. Reminded me of Sully and Kariya in this particular drill.

Session 3's big names were Watson, Leipsic, Vesey and Budish. Watson and Leipsic were paired together and it's funny looking at them together as it was reminiscent of Arnott and Sully, size wise. Watson has improved tremendously with his shot. Lots of stank on it and was burying shots for a while top shelf in the corners. Very impressive to watch. Leipsic has a nice wrister but didn't have the power that Watson has. I did notice Watson seemed a little winded during some of the drills so he is either putting all out effort into his drills or he could use some conditioning work and I think it's the latter. He's filled out some again as well. Looks totally different than 2 years ago. Vesey and Budish looked good together as well. Vesey is very smooth on the ice as is Budish, especially for his size. Budish has some stank on his shot as well. Tall guys like him and Watson when using proper technique can get a lot on their shots. Budish had a few blowouts when doing some drills but the ice was getting pretty choppy when he went to the ice taking a few shots.

Like I said earlier, there were a ton of coaches on the ice working with the kids. In years past they had both sheets of ice going and this year they seem to be wanting to give more one on one time with the players than they have in years past which I think is extremely beneficial to the kids. They were really working on skating techniques trying to emphasize not wasting speed or motion. Didn't see any of the main coaches there today.

One other thing about Forsberg, he never seemed winded on the ice but was doing the drills seriously so that's a good thing in my mind.

And for what it's worth, my step daughter said Vesey has really long eyebrows. For a kid who couldn't care less about being there, she spotted that of all things. Kids.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
FWIW, I believe the extra coaches are guest power skating coaches from Shawn Allard's Perfect Skating School. Allard is leading the sessions. Yesterday Milwaukee assistant Stan Druila was on the ice, but not Evason or Housley. Nichol is on the ice in his new role as Player Development Director.

MKMM

Jun 15, 2012
Does anybody know good twitter accounts to follow the dev.camp?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Just a FYI from the Preds Facebook page:

Just a reminder that there will be no on-ice workouts today at Centennial Sportsplex. The prospects will spend the day in the community and be back on the ice at 8:30am tomorrow. Also, don't miss the final day of camp on Saturday - 9:15am scrimmage followed by a shootout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille