Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
At fist it seems like alot, but the way the league is about quality centers...
I can imagine looking at this and ROR thinking he should be making 7 a year.

What's so quality about Derick Brassard? Guy has never hit 50 points or 20 goals. He's hasn't been too great at face-offs as well plus isn't even that great defensively.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
At fist it seems like alot, but the way the league is about quality centers...
I can imagine looking at this and ROR thinking he should be making 7 a year.

If he does not get a major injury or if he does not fall off a cliff production wise, ROR WILL make 7M+ on his next deal.

We will see whether it is the Avs or not that will owe him that paycheck...

The market has started to adjust to the no "circumventing contracts" bubble and to a rising cap.

Brassard at 5M is a little bit steep but somewhat fair. He is a lower end 2nd line center with some upside. 5M will be the going rate for that kind of players soon.

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 16m
#rangers Derick Brassard: 2014-15 7M, 15-16 6M, 16-17 5M, 17-18 3.5M, 18-19 3.5M

Wow, 7m next year.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Brassard at 5M is a little bit steep but somewhat fair. He is a lower end 2nd line center with some upside. 5M will be the going rate for that kind of players soon.
Some upside? He'll be 27 by the time next season starts. What you see is what you get.

Lower end 2nd line center is putting it politely. He doesn't provide much of anything other than scoring, and his career high is 47 points.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Brassard at 5M now means that ROR will ask for 8M in 2 years (and probably get it). ROR is a much better C than Brassard, better offensively and defensively. He'll also be 2 years younger and the cap will be higher. That's 8M/year.

Time to trade him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Brassard is over paid my 1 million... the cap hit isn't terrible at 5 million and that's all NYR cares about.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
The defense battle is going to be one to watch. They are very close to the cap, so I can see them making a minor trade to free up a little space. Wilson will be looked at closely, because he is making over 2 million, and if he comes into camp with people beating him out, he can be gone. The other part of me thinks they would like to have a lefty and righty extra. I really hope they don't screw things up with Redmond, because he is a great young player. I don't think they would sign Noreau to that contract just to send him down, so I have a hunch he at least stays with the club at least. I can't see Guenin making the team, so he will likely be a candidate for the A. As much as I love Elliott, I don't see him making the team either. Stuart, EJ, Hejda, Barrie, and Holden are all locks, it's basically 5 people fighting for 3 spots. One regular and two extras. My final prediction: Redmond gets that spot with Noreau and Wilson being the extras. I have a feeling that they want a lefty and righty defenseman, one being more offensive and defensive.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Oh Christ, O'Reilly is going to demand 8 mil per now.
Definitely overpaid by a 1-1.5 mil, but I imagine the Rangers would rather keep him and pay him than to have to replace him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oh Christ, O'Reilly is going to demand 8 mil per now.
Definitely overpaid by a 1-1.5 mil, but I imagine the Rangers would rather keep him and pay him than to have to replace him.

This is the conundrum the Avs will be facing on O'Reilly's contract when he won't resign for a penny less than $7M as a 65 point two way winger.

They're a worse team without him, and they won't be able to properly replace him, but his demands are just always a notch higher than they should be.

Not sure what happened with Sather. Mr Hardball seems to have lost his mind.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is the conundrum the Avs will be facing on O'Reilly's contract when he won't resign for a penny less than $7M as a 65 point two way winger.

They're a worse team without him, and they won't be able to properly replace him, but his demands are just always a notch higher than they should be.

Not sure what happened with Sather. Mr Hardball seems to have lost his mind.

Sather knew he had to keep Brassard. Losing Richards, Boyle, Pouliot, and Stralman isn't going to be easy for that team to recover from, and if he lost Brassard they would have had major issues. He replaced those players with virtually nobody asides from Dan Boyle and he's on his last legs. That would have been 5 players who played a huge role in the team's success last season. It's no wonder Sather gave in. He's got nobody to replace these guys.

For comparison's sake, let's say the Avs went to the finals and had a bunch of UFA's and RFA's. Let's say Tanguay, Mitchell, McGinn, and Barrie all decided to leave, and then ROR is the RFA compared to Brassard (not actual ability, just status). I'd be willing to bet the Avs would overpay to keep him around

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How does everyone else think the defense situation plays out?

I think Wilson and Elliott will be the cuts. Both pre-Roy players, can save the most cap room by going down. Wilson they'll hope anyone takes him, Elliott they'll hope to sneak down. Roy already says he has plans for Redmond and he wouldn't make it through waivers. Not much is said about Noreau, he's always wanted to come back to the NHL but he was happy in Switzerland and wasn't leaving unless he got a real good offer. He could start in LE but I just see Roy keeping him up and letting him wait for his chance. If Guenin sucks in camp maybe he goes but as one of "Roy's people" I think someone will have to clearly beat him out. I'm not too worried about the lefty/righty thing. If a lefty gets hurt then they bring up Siemens or Stollery.

Don't know what we'd do with Sutter, we already have one too many forwards.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Wilson and Elliott will be the cuts. Both pre-Roy players, can save the most cap room by going down. Wilson they'll hope anyone takes him, Elliott they'll hope to sneak down. Roy already says he has plans for Redmond and he wouldn't make it through waivers. Not much is said about Noreau, he's always wanted to come back to the NHL but he was happy in Switzerland and wasn't leaving unless he got a real good offer. He could start in LE but I just see Roy keeping him up and letting him wait for his chance. If Guenin sucks in camp maybe he goes but as one of "Roy's people" I think someone will have to clearly beat him out. I'm not too worried about the lefty/righty thing. If a lefty gets hurt then they bring up Siemens or Stollery.

I have a feeling if Wilson is healthy in camp, he can easily beat Guenin out for the final 8th dman spot given how truly awful Guenin is. If it's the same Wilson that is always out of shape and hurt with no confidence, then he'll be sent down 100%. But given that we know what Wilson brings, and probably a lot more than what Roy knows given we've been watching this guy play night in and night out when he was in the lineup for the last five years as opposed to Roy probably relying heavily on pro scouts' opinions of him, I think he can beat Guenin easily if he's the same Wilson we know. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Guenin belongs in the AHL permanently

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I didn't know where to ask this question so i'll ask here.

How come they haven't done an official press conference/introduction of Iginla, where he steps on the podium puts on the jersey etc...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

....and half of them are centers. Plus we don't have the cap space. Sutter makes no sense whatsoever unless we are trading 2-3 guys in return (and even then, he better learn to play wing).

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I didn't know where to ask this question so i'll ask here.

How come they haven't done an official press conference/introduction of Iginla, where he steps on the podium puts on the jersey etc...

He is confined to the retirement home until the season begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad