Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, what's up with that? My favorite was the one about dumping Varly for Miller AFTER HE WAS NOMINATED FOR THE VEZINA. Like wtf from our org would even say that?

For funsies sake let's say Eklund isn't making it up but he says the teams are just talking. I have no doubts teams talk to each other about all kinds of players all the time and nothing comes of it.

Thought of the remaining cases Reimer would be the most likely to go to arbitration. Don't think any happen now.

That comes from years ago when Roy was still with the Remparts and asked who his favorite goalie to watch was. The answer was Ryan Miller. So now everyone tended to assume that if given the chance to get him he would.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yeah, what's up with that? My favorite was the one about dumping Varly for Miller AFTER HE WAS NOMINATED FOR THE VEZINA. Like wtf from our org would even say that?

For funsies sake let's say Eklund isn't making it up but he says the teams are just talking. I have no doubts teams talk to each other about all kinds of players all the time and nothing comes of it.

Thought of the remaining cases Reimer would be the most likely to go to arbitration. Don't think any happen now.

I literally had to pause my NHL 13 and look at the video when Eklund started talking about Marty Brodeur coming to the Avs, because he thinks Varly isnt liked here...I mean you could feel the sideways glances coming from the other guys on the podcast. Like dude what are you talking about right now. He was nominated for a Vezina.
I give the guy a break because he incites conversation and his daily podcasts are nice to listen while I play my beaGM
but his observations are wayyy off. Holy cow.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If it was Wilson and Elliott for Franson I would be down. He's basically a combination of the two, he has Wilson's poor skating, and Elliott's poor defensive zone coverage. He can put up big offensive numbers though.

We definitely need another offensive D man to move the puck and score a bit. Barrie was really good in the 2nd half of the season and we sucked with puck possession after he went down.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Franson has a great shot, no doubt. Problem is, he rarely brought anything else to the table last season. He can't pass,skate or play D. The game is simply too fast for guys like him. He's fine if he's sheltered on the third pairing where a good chunk of his minutes are on the PP but anything more than that and I feel bad bad for Bernier. Franson is very, very fortunate to be making this kind of coin.

Love his half-snapper from the point. At 26 he can only get stronger, smarter and better. Sign him to a longer deal.

When you watch him, sometimes Franson does seem very slow and caught off guard... but make a mental note. Watch this season how many shots of his make it to the net. I would bet its above 80%. His wrist shot is dangerous and he always seems to get it by players trying to block it. That is a valuable skill to have.

Some observations from TOR boards about Franson. I could see Wilson going back, saves them a cool million and they can put him on their pairing with Polak. But I think we have to add a 2nd...because of course we do.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We definitely need another offensive D man to move the puck and score a bit. Barrie was really good in the 2nd half of the season and we sucked with puck possession after he went down.

That's where Noreau comes in, I guess is the thought.

Franson should be cheap, isn't he UFA after this year? Seems like his time in Toronto is coming to a close.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
That's where Noreau comes in, I guess is the thought.

Franson should be cheap, isn't he UFA after this year? Seems like his time in Toronto is coming to a close.

We still need one more talented D man, Johnson, Barrie, Hejda, Stuart are you top 4 most likely, then you have Holden, Noreau, Redmond, Guenin, Gervais & Elliot fighting for a spot.
Wilson is there as well but he just seems like he's lost in the shuffle.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Avs:
Franson

Leafs:
Wilson
Elliott

Is a deal that makes sense for both clubs.

Avs are either going to lose Elliott to waivers or demote him if he clears. I just get the feeling he is not going to make the Avs roster and is not in their long term plans. Wilson is going to be dead weight on the Avs roster and also be demoted and almost certainly clear waivers. Why not bundle the two together and take a chance on someone new? Franson, while not a speed demon or a guy that uses his frame properly, does have decent puck moving skills and maybe can learn from Roy and Foote to put it all together. Avs can slot him behind EJ and Barrie and use him properly.

The Leafs best D prospects, Gardiner, Reilly, and Percy are all left shots. Dion is also a lefty. Wilson gives them a stop-gap for this year -- and they save a little cash/cap space. Elliott would probably be the Leafs best right handed prospect.

Stuart-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Holden-Franson

Depth:
Guenin
Redmond

I shudder at the thought of watching Holden and Franson attempt to cover their guys in the D zone

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
This team needs a Niklas Hjalmarsson type player, except maybe a little younger. Top pairing defenseman, left handed, defense first and can still move the puck. Not sure who would fit the bill on that other than him, but that would be nice. Marc Staal next summer would be good as well. But I would like for them to fix the problem soon instead of next summer, because that would waste a precious year off Iginla and Tanguay's remaining years.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
This team needs a Niklas Hjalmarsson type player, except maybe a little younger. Top pairing defenseman, left handed, defense first and can still move the puck. Not sure who would fit the bill on that other than him, but that would be nice. Marc Staal next summer would be good as well. But I would like for them to fix the problem soon instead of next summer, because that would waste a precious year off Iginla and Tanguay's remaining years.

And I would love a million dollars! Just jk

But yeah that would be great. Problem is all 29 teams want that guy.

Even if they already have two. They will take 8 of them if they could.

Its getting to the point that they are more valuable than say a top flight winger or 2nd line center. Im starting to think the only way you get guys like a Hjalmarsson is through the draft. Cause if im a GM Im locking that guy up for years i.e Stuart in WPG or Niklas in CHI.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014

People don't believe me and I keep seeing people offering him in trade scenarios... but I think Duncan Siemens is going to be our Hammer. I see similarities there just maybe one notch lower. Like if you think Nik is a #2 D then Duncan might only get to a #3. But he IS our younger Nik Hjlamarsson.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Yeah I still have faith in Duncan Siemens. A great deal of people struggle their first year in the pros. He had a serious injury, not a serious lack of good play. Hopefully he trains hard this summer and comes back to play some good minutes. Fans should not be expecting 25-30 points out of him, but a good plus minus and about 10 points.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
I don't like seeing Siemens offered in trades, either. Keep him, develop him, profit.

It depends on what the Avs are getting back for him. If they, as an example, go get a guy like Hjalmarsson, then it is worth the risk, as you are jumping ahead a few years on the D core to improve now.

Not that either team would probably do an inner division trade, but as an example.

Avs:
Hjalmarsson = 4.1
3rd Round Pick 2015

Hawks:
Hejda (750k retained) = 2.5
Siemens
5th Round Pick 2015

Would be a deal I would do from the Avs perspective and I think the Hawks might consider.

Avs get a solid #3 lefty D man right in the middle of his prime who has a ton of experience and is signed long term to a decent deal. The draft pick swap helps offset the value of the Avs retaining cap space on Hejda.

Hawks get a decent replacement for Hjalmarsson for next season in Hejda (I think for most of last season Hejda was actually the better of the two) and potentially a long term replacement for him in Siemens. They save 1.6 million in cap space, meaning they only need to clear another 700k to get under the cap, probably done with trading one of Versteeg or Rozsival, which if replaced with a near minimum player would actually put them 500-900k under the cap.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Would be a deal I would do from the Avs perspective and I think the Hawks might consider.

They view Hjalmarsson as a top pairing shutdown defender. Why in the hell would they solve the Avs biggest hole for a prospect fans around the league think is a bust/nothing special, an old defender with who knows how many years left and losing the better pick?

They'd rather move from up front than the backend I'm sure if they need to get cap compliant.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Can't see the Hawks handing a divisional rival a piece to fill their biggest weakness for a potential 37 year old UFA defenceman and former first round pick. Let alone adding the higher pick.

Doubt Siemens value is very high around the league anymore. Avs are better off waiting and hoping he pans out.

edit: What Lonewolfe said.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I really like the DET model: cook em till they are well done.
I just had to look up, he's only 20. lol. Yeah lets ship him out
I mean you can keep him around for another 3 years and he would still
be considered young.
Numbers in the AHL mean absolutely nothing to me for a defensemen
maybe a bit more for a fwd, he could be amazing down there and still
get worked in the show.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Detroit takes it a bit too much to the other extreme. I like that this org gives younger players a chance but I can see that the bouncing around before they are ready is not good either. I think people just got worried because Siemens didn't get in a preseason game last year, I don't see anything wrong with how he played in the AHL. Hopefully this year's camp clears some of those perceptions up.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
I really like the DET model: cook em till they are well done.
I just had to look up, he's only 20. lol. Yeah lets ship him out
I mean you can keep him around for another 3 years and he would still
be considered young.
Numbers in the AHL mean absolutely nothing to me for a defensemen
maybe a bit more for a fwd, he could be amazing down there and still
get worked in the show.

Exactly look at TJ Brennan for example. Dude lights up the A every year at essentially a ppg. But he still can't find anyone to give him NHL minutes. It's not a physical problem or anything. He's just not as good at the NHL level.

Siemens' game is very NHL ideal. Good skater, big, strong, physical, good positioning, good stick. His cons are essentially just he can't stick handle to save his life and he doesn't really have the most accurate shot. He does have a decent outlet pass on him though. If he improves in his offensive game (hopefully they give him some pp time to do so) he will really be a stud in the league and a perfect fit for this team.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Detroit takes it a bit too much to the other extreme. I like that this org gives younger players a chance but I can see that the bouncing around before they are ready is not good either. I think people just got worried because Siemens didn't get in a preseason game last year, I don't see anything wrong with how he played in the AHL. Hopefully this year's camp clears some of those perceptions up.

Thats the other side of the argument as well. I mean the league continues to get younger and younger. So its getting more difficult to say to a guy like Duncan, "Oh can you just stick around for 4 more years and we'll see ok"
I mean look at Elliot. From his POV this is it for him and Avs, if they arent going to give him a fair shot he has to try somewhere else. If a kid is getting bumped ahead of him here (Bigras) on the depth chart and hasnt even played an NHL game yet...
Yeah if i was him Im probably asking to be waived or traded if they want to send me down, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad