Improving the Stars 101

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Nemeth or Oleksiak can be sold.When Lindell makes he s debut one of those guys will be dropped.

Don't forget Johns. He and Lindell will likely be competing for a spot soon enough. I would prefer to see Johns win the battle for the next spot because we could really use his size.

What's crazy is that Hansson looks like another Nordic Dman stud in our system (13pts in 16 games in the SHL so far)...add him to the long list of Lindell, Nemeth, Honka, and Jokipakka who will all be vying for the same permanent spots on the big club in the coming years.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Stars have a surplus of promising (some less than other) depth defensemen. Jokipakka, Nemeth, Oleksiak, Benn, Lindell, Honka, Johns.

Which one gets moved first and when? What would you do?

Jokipakka: I think he has played fairly well and has gained the confidence of the organization, I don't think he has a top 4 spot anytime in his future, but I think he'll be with the team for at least this year and next.

Nemeth: He lost his job in the pre-season and has been relegated to purgatory, that's a little sad given many of us had high hopes for him, but he looked fairly poor in the pre-season and his 2 regular season games. I think he could be on the outs, though I think they'll keep him around as long as possible to see if he can boost start his stalled development.

Oleksiak: Nothing has really changed, I thought he was on the bottom of the totem pole prior to the season and I still think that. Kinda surprised he hasn't been traded yet, but I understand Nill's love of depth.

Jordie: I know there are some differing opinions on him, I'm okay with him on the bottom pair, and I understand his possession numbers but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous every time he touches the puck. All the same, I've never really understood the logic of locking up a bottom pairing defenseman to a multi year contract, they're just to easily replaceable, especially when we already have a bit of a log jam. I hope a progressive team offers him a nice raise on the free market, give us a little bit of plausible deniability with Jamie.

Lindell: I got high hopes for him, I think he'll debut later this year or early next year at the latest. He'll probably start of on the bottom pairing but could hopefully give Oduya a run for his money as the #4 defenseman.

Johns: Similar to Lindell, I hope he'll get a spot on the bottom pairing out of camp in 2016. He is probably NHL ready or very close to it, I guess the timing of his debut will just depend on transactions and if there are any injuries to the Stars' blueline.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Stars have a surplus of promising (some less than other) depth defensemen. Jokipakka, Nemeth, Oleksiak, Benn, Lindell, Honka, Johns.

Which one gets moved first and when? What would you do?

Bolded the guys who can go and I wouldn't flinch

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I wish Nemeth would be given a real chance. I don't get the love affair with Jordie. I don't see him getting any better and what he brings now is easily replaceable. We lack what Nemeth brings in potential. He looked good in the Ducks series, which to me means more than some preseason games where a bunch of guys didn't do well but are still here.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I wish Nemeth would be given a real chance. I don't get the love affair with Jordie. I don't see him getting any better and what he brings now is easily replaceable. We lack what Nemeth brings in potential. He looked good in the Ducks series, which to me means more than some preseason games where a bunch of guys didn't do well but are still here.

We need guys who can skate and move the puck, Nemeth can't do these things at an NHL level. As a bonus, Jordie is allegedly the best right side, left shot guy. When things are working this well, it's hard to justify making a move for no reason, so Nemeth sits.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
We need guys who can skate and move the puck, Nemeth can't do these things at an NHL level. As a bonus, Jordie is allegedly the best right side, left shot guy. When things are working this well, it's hard to justify making a move for no reason, so Nemeth sits.

We need guys who can defend.. and that is Nemeth

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Bingo. We have no shortage of NHL roster and NHL-ready puck-movers with foot speed. What we lack is the shut-down guys. I don't for the life of me understand why Nemeth doesn't play every game as the 7th D at the very least. He should absolutely be given the chance to displace Oduya or Jordie.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I'd love to hear your theory about why Joki and Jordie are playing ahead of Nemeth (apart from the importance of J names :laugh:).

The system we are playing needs guys who can do more than pass to their partner. There's a little less emphasis on skating the puck out of the zone, but the defensemen provide the start of the attack now. Nemeth and Oleksiak are built for a slower style, and the advantages they might have defensively can be made up by responsible backchecking.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'd love to hear your theory about why Joki and Jordie are playing ahead of Nemeth (apart from the importance of J names :laugh:).

The system we are playing needs guys who can do more than pass to their partner. There's a little less emphasis on skating the puck out of the zone, but the defensemen provide the start of the attack now. Nemeth and Oleksiak are built for a slower style, and the advantages they might have defensively can be made up by responsible backchecking.

We will see how well our puck-moving, back checking D system really looks next week when the cupcakes stop coming and we start playing our Murder-Death-Kill divisional games. I'm not sold quite yet. We are very, very fun to watch though.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK

I don't have a theory to be honest.. I have nothing against Jokipakka playing because he is a solid all around player.. and Jordie can play the RD.. but when we look a bit to the future you cannot have Klingberg Goligoski (if he re-signs) Lindell Honka Jokipakka in the line-up without defensive types of D imo.. I could easily imagine Nemeth - Honka on the 2nd pairing for example

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We will see how well our puck-moving, back checking D system really looks next week when the cupcakes stop coming and we start playing our Murder-Death-Kill divisional games. I'm not sold quite yet. We are very, very fun to watch though.

I don't have a theory to be honest.. I have nothing against Jokipakka playing because he is a solid all around player.. and Jordie can play the RD.. but when we look a bit to the future you cannot have Klingberg Goligoski (if he re-signs) Lindell Honka Jokipakka in the line-up without defensive types of D imo.. I could easily imagine Nemeth - Honka on the 2nd pairing for example

I don't mean to say I have the answers, but it's the only sense I can make of the current situation. I think we are moving toward Chicago/LA/Anaheim's model of mobile defensemen and they seem to do OK with it. With Johns, Demers, and Oduya we could probably cover for at least two of Klingberg, Lindell, and Honka. It remains to be seen if we can succeed all year with this group of course.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
At the max 3m increase:
Eakin eats up Moen's savings with his raise plus 100k
Goligoski 4x5 (.4m increase)
Demers 4x4 (1.8m increase)
Fiddler-> Ritchie at 1.25m bridge (neutral)
Eaves->Faksa (save 250k)
Nuke 2x2 (1.75m increase)
Scevior->McKenzie (250k increase)
Shore is 13th forward (870k increase)
Oleksiak->Johns 2x900k (25k increase)
Jordie not replaced (700k savings)

.1+.4+1.8+1.75+.25+.87+.025=5.195
(.25+.7)=(.95)
Total Add=4.25
Current Space + Future Increase=6
It would be tight but we could even bring back Scevior or Jordie and have a full roster.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Benn - Seguin - Nichushkin
Sharp - Spezza - Ritchie
Janmark - Eakin - Hemsky
Roussel - Faksa - Shore
McKenzie

I still think that management brings back Fiddler. Eaves shouldn't be back though.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Time to move Hemsky or Eaves ASAP, Ritchie is yelling pretty loudly that he needs a spot up here.

I'd keep Eaves for now. On a playoff team, you can never have too much veteran presence.

Hemsky, I'd be fine with moving, but I think he'd be really difficult to move given his contract and lack of production.

Moen needs to be gone yesterday...veteran? yes...useful? no...insert Faksa or Ritchie here. That's a start.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Hemsky hasn't registered a point since November 12th, I don't think he is movable at this junction. Would be nice though. I'd at least settle for taking Eaves off the first power play unit, pretty dang obvious that isn't working.

I wonder what our starting 18 skaters would look like if contracts and waivers weren't factored in. Interesting to see where the current AHL young guns would fit in.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Benn Seguin Nichushkin
Janmark Spezza Sharp
Roussel Eakin Scevior
Fiddler Faksa Ritchie
Eaves, Hemsky

Goligoski Klingberg
Oduya Demers
Jokipakka Benn
Oleksiak

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Hemsky is in my top 10 least favorite Dallas Stars of all time.

He's ****ing garbage

Hemsky has been a disappointment...wasn't over the moon to get him to begin with, but he's really underperformed.

Remember he was supposed to be magic with Spezza. haha

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I liked the signing at the time, seemed like he was going to be a great fit. Oh well, not every transaction is going to work out.

I don't know. So far I haven't liked any of Nill's free agent signings. None of them seems to pan out. We should just stick to trades.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
I don't know. So far I haven't liked any of Nill's free agent signings. None of them seems to pan out. We should just stick to trades.

Oduya has panned out pretty well imo, and Niemi has been good enough. Horcoff, Hemsky, and Gonchar were all pretty bad though. Don't really care about the backup goalie signings, needed to put someone back there while we were all waiting for Campbell to come out of nowhere and take over the starting spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad