Improving the Stars 101

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I think it now hinges on the Rangers wanting to move Yandle over our reluctance to move piece for him.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
This.. we suffered a lot during GMJN1 days to get a deep prospect pool, so it would not be very smart to trade them away easily :) for a top 2 D? of course.. for a rentals? never...

I was making a joke

I'm not saying we should trade Lindell and Honka, but the things he said are next level bonkers. I suspect he didn't make these comments because he lost his mind, but that doesn't trouble me any less. Either he doesn't understand the day to day business of being a GM ( again this is very unlikely), he's so attached to a bunch of marginal prospects that he won't improve the team that needs it, or he's cynically manipulating the crowd with a bunch of desperate spin.

None of these make me happy.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
If thats the price for Ladd I'm glad we aren't looking to buy short term this year.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Let me shoot for #4.

I hope we never hear the 1a 1b crap ever again.

We have a #4!

Absolutely.

I'm still upset that Nill backed out of the Cam Talbot "sweepstakes" in June. I mean, what was the deal breaker, the 7th rounder Edmonton was willing to throw in? Value your picks, Jim, but come on.

It gets thrown in my face here all the time, as I get to watch Talbot play so well between the pipes for the oilers. He's won games for them single-handedly, has kept them in games they've had no business being in, and they're a worse club than we are, obviously. All around. He had a very small stretch where things didn't go too well, other than that he's been a legit, even excellent #1, behind a terrible team.

Besides all that, such a better fit for this team moving forward. He's 28, and wouldn't have needed to be committed to until now. He'd come cheaper, regardless.

Oh and I'll reiterate, he's better than either of Lehtonen or Niemi.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We don't need a guy who thrives on being outshot night in and night out. Maybe Talbot can be more than that, but he was a bigger risk who cost more and has yet to prove out.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Besides Reimer who is out there that has a legitimate shot at being traded. I'm not big on Reimer, but may be only option when another goalie is gonna have to go back that way.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
I think that after the past couple of months, Dallas' number one need has become a consistent, skilled number 1 goalie.

Not even magically transferring the Weber/Josi pairing to Dallas could make up for the recent shortcomings in goal.

I'm not sure Riemer would really be an upgrade. Andersen is also available.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I will continue to remind everyone that a goalie is only as good as the defense in front of them. These guys are world class talent.

And the overall team defense can't hold on to the puck and has serious gaps in coverage constantly. At this point I think it's a coaching and systemic problem. Against, players are playing minutes they shouldn't be and nothing is being done about it.

I also don't believe Reimer would be that much of an upgrade.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I will continue to remind everyone that a goalie is only as good as the defense in front of them. These guys are world class talent.

And the overall team defense can't hold on to the puck and has serious gaps in coverage constantly. At this point I think it's a coaching and systemic problem. Against, players are playing minutes they shouldn't be and nothing is being done about it.

I also don't believe Reimer would be that much of an upgrade.

I think everybody recognizes that aside from rebound control, goaltenders have no control over the difficulty of the shots their team concedes. Everybody recognizes that goalies can and have been "hung out to dry". Thing is though, it's a complete cop out to say that's the only issue. And it doesn't excuse our keepers from displaying awful habits like going down too early on a shot and when it comes to positioning, hugging the post, seeing through traffic, and letting in consecutive goals; it becomes readily apparent that the Dallas Stars net-minders are an awful last line of defense.

And bad technique leads to bad results, and not just on scoring chances, softies are getting by them far to easily and those borderline chances that you need a goalie to make are just not being saved.

Shots from high danger areas, medium danger areas, and even low danger areas. There isn't one area on the ice, or even one situation that the goalies are able to stop pucks at even a league average rate. This is readily apparent through watching them, and completely backed up through the stats and shot locations tracked by the league. We're dead last in save percentage since the start of the new year, and that can't happen.

It's okay to blame the goalies when they are big part of the problem.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
At this point, lousy goalie performance is not a bug of the Stars, it's a feature. We're locked in to whatever this is, and I imagine the odds of us trading for the #1 Defenseman everyone dreams about are much better than getting out of this net mess.

In addition, I expect that Lindy Ruff, and most probably Jim Nill as well, know the weakness of the team and have chosen to deal with it by scoring more goals, a strategy that has to this point of the season been wildly successful. Our colours are nailed to the proverbial mast on this one, we've crossed the Rubicon with our ships burning behind us, so let the chips fall where they may now that the die is cast etc.

With that said, I suggest we create a new/revive an old thread about goalies for people to post very respectfully to one another about this upsetting situation.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
There are websites that measure low medium and high shot quality. From memory, Kari last year was average from high danger areas, but lower than average on lower quality chances, which is what was frustrating. Last night, Niemi let in one softy, the last goal of the first.

If you look at Detroit, Nill had Vernon, Howard, etc. over the years. None were considered elite goalies (sort of like Crawford now in Chicago) so you may be right about that being the plan, probably forced on Nill by circumstance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad