OT: IMFC Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Filosa came out with some info regarding the past superdraft, apparently the Impact traded both their pics because they didn't have enough info on the players. So what I thought was hyperbole about the cluelessness of the organisation on my part turns out to be true. :laugh:

Garde said it some time after, the week after or 2 weeks after. He and his staff didn't have enough time to properly evaluate the players and that combine game was vague and not where you pick your players. That's 100% on Braz. Lots of talent came out at this year's draft. probably the best draft in years.

Well for the next superdraft, they'll have the #2 pick:laugh:, the #1 being FC Cincinatti so it's going a great opportunity for them to redeem themselves. Idk about next year's pool but trading away 2 top 10 picks was a total waste.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Biello tried to propose the same style too, but failed. Saputo has been saying it's the brand of football they're looking to bring to Montreal, but the DT is the one who's supposed to ensure that's what the squad is built for. Braz is pretty much a puppet, NDS goes around looking for anything foreign agents say is good, and Saputo just fires and hires until he manages to find a coach that will magically make a bunch of miscasts work as a well-oiled machine and when it fails he blames everyone but himself.

NDS, Braz and co. are close friends with Saputo, and I'm sure I'm not far from the truth when I say that their relationship > IMFC. These guys are not even close to have half the credentials they need to effectively operate an MLS club. They stay on because they are saputo's friends. I mean, they are certainly not getting better at it lol. Its a team of mid level mercenaries that are expected to play possession football. With Ciman, camara and Bernier out its blatant to see there is no soul inside the dressing room. (Honorable mention to Piette and bush)

the bottom line is , the MLS is somewhat of an up and down league and that's part of the problem. Respectfully, I'd like to point out that there are no MLS teams that consistently display the type of possession football that Garde has been talking about. The MLS is a league based heavily on the transition game (with exceptions) and there is nothing wrong with that (ie : Liverpool, who have been the most enjoyable team to watch in england this year imho). Now if we could dominate games and win by holding the ball I'd be exited to watch but the physicality of the league is higher because the players are less technical... its just normal that its a harder league to impose total control. The MLS will never be a chess game. BUT, there is a balance between the counter attacking crapshoot we used to do and the utopia in Garde's mind ... I hope they will realize this rather soon.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
NDS, Braz and co. are close friends with Saputo, and I'm sure I'm not far from the truth when I say that their relationship > IMFC. These guys are not even close to have half the credentials they need to effectively operate an MLS club. They stay on because they are saputo's friends. I mean, they are certainly not getting better at it lol. Its a team of mid level mercenaries that are expected to play possession football. With Ciman, camara and Bernier out its blatant to see there is no soul inside the dressing room. (Honorable mention to Piette and bush)

the bottom line is , the MLS is somewhat of an up and down league and that's part of the problem. Respectfully, I'd like to point out that there are no MLS teams that consistently display the type of possession football that Garde has been talking about. The MLS is a league based heavily on the transition game (with exceptions) and there is nothing wrong with that (ie : Liverpool, who have been the most enjoyable team to watch in england this year imho). Now if we could dominate games and win by holding the ball I'd be exited to watch but the physicality of the league is higher because the players are less technical... its just normal that its a harder league to impose total control. The MLS will never be a chess game. BUT, there is a balance between the counter attacking crapshoot we used to do and the utopia in Garde's mind ... I hope they will realize this rather soon.

That's true, but the problem is that the team is not good at counter attacking neither, Piatti is. Wether it's one or the other or a balance, the Impact has had no real identity for years. What we're seeing now is a "bras de fer" between a long term vision and a short term one; Coach vs owner and players. I don't think the team is as bad as 3-10, but Garde is not giving up on his playing philosophy for the sake of instilling his principles onto the squad long term, and I think they hired him knowing it would be this way, they just didn't expect to go this bad. One thing for sure, the team is not executing well without the ball offensively right now, I believe it's a lack of skill and effort. They have a hard time supporting each other and reading plays going forward, and that's both on the counter and on the build up. Sometimes it's flat out laziness and lack of focus, and a lot of other times it's lack of skill (reading the play, timing runs, handling the ball, passing ect.).

Saputo doesn't seem to understand that things take time to instill on the field, and that it starts in the second floor. As an example, our academy has been absolutely tearing it up since the start of the year (presumably under Garde's style of play), but there's no real bridge between the academy and the MLS and what does Saputo answer to that? "I'm concentrating on the first team, I don't wanna take on extra projects". He thinks player development is an "extra project". Then he'll wonder why 3 years from now he'll have to spend 1M$ to bring Armando Fuentes from Argentina to be a sub.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaMu and ArtPeur

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
That's true, but the problem is that the team is not good at counter attacking neither, Piatti is. Wether it's one or the other or a balance, the Impact has had no real identity for years. What we're seeing now is a "bras de fer" between a long term vision and a short term one; Coach vs owner and players. I don't think the team is as bad as 3-10, but Garde is not giving up on his playing philosophy for the sake of instilling his principles onto the squad long term, and I think they hired him knowing it would be this way, they just didn't expect to go this bad. One thing for sure, the team is not executing well without the ball offensively right now, I believe it's a lack of skill and effort. They have a hard time supporting each other and reading plays going forward, and that's both on the counter and on the build up. Sometimes it's flat out laziness and lack of focus, and a lot of other times it's lack of skill (reading the play, timing runs, handling the ball, passing ect.).

Saputo doesn't seem to understand that things take time to instill on the field, and that it starts in the second floor. As an example, our academy has been absolutely tearing it up since the start of the year (presumably under Garde's style of play), but there's no real bridge between the academy and the MLS and what does Saputo answer to that? "I'm concentrating on the first team, I don't wanna take on extra projects". He thinks player development is an "extra project". Then he'll wonder why 3 years from now he'll have to spend 1M$ to bring Armando Fuentes from Argentina to be a sub.

I really agree literally with 99.99% of what you are saying.

counter attacking is all we did ! And we were damn good at it on top of that ...oduro, piatti ... our team was crafted in a way that made counter attacking (transition game) our most feared weapon.... and you know what it did when we didn't score on the break ? it made the other team drop and it gave us space to let players like Bernier play. having a great counter attack is step 1 in claiming sustainable possession. do you agree ?

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Best way to get your players to rally around you, especially when you got f*** all to show for, is to call out how shitty they all are amirite?

I wouldnt say if Garde had actually did anything other than give some jobs to his coahing buddies and shitty homer signings, but he's the most passive coach in the league and broke the record for the worst start ever for a coach in MLS... He said he was able to be pragmatic and work with what he had... bullshit. I know the clowns running the FO are incapable of putting together a cohesive team, but honestly, on paper we have a team that can at least compete with the worst teams of the league, but right now we make them all look good.

I'm not on the fire Garde bandwagon yet, but I'm damn close... From what I'm seeing from the coach, it's not just the players lacking talent, imho.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
It's kind of a culture shock. You don't see that in hockey, or at least not very often. We are used to seeing coaches try everything to get the most out of their lineup despite it being disastrous, which is something Rémi isn't really doing. His approach is bit fatalist.

This is such a dysfunctional organization. You have the coach who has no problem keeping guys he doesn't want out of the pitch, but then the president/owner wants to win right now, and they both blame the players.

Yup, it's definitely not typical to North American sports/PR.

There's a pretty simple reason why you usually dont shit on your players though, and it's not a culture shock thing... you dont devaluate your own assets, especially if you're interested in swapping most of them in a few weeks. C'est pas ben ben winner come startégie de négos: "What would you be willing to give for all these shitty players, I nkow they all lack talent but be nice". Kindof a dumbass thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
There's a pretty simple reason why you usually dont **** on your players though, and it's not a culture shock thing... you dont devaluate your own assets, especially if you're interested in swapping most of them in a few weeks. C'est pas ben ben winner come startégie de négos: "What would you be willing to give for all these ****ty players, I nkow they all lack talent but be nice". Kindof a dumbass thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

C'est sûr que Garde ne donnera pas de cours de Marketing/ventes à personne ;)

Pourtant, j'apprécie son honnêteté. C'est rafraichissant.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
We’re about to see Camacho-Fanni as CBs, Raitala would move to LB

I’m actually intrigued to see Raitala playing on the wings. He seems pretty mobile, CB wasn’t his best position

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I really agree literally with 99.99% of what you are saying.

counter attacking is all we did ! And we were damn good at it on top of that ...oduro, piatti ... our team was crafted in a way that made counter attacking (transition game) our most feared weapon.... and you know what it did when we didn't score on the break ? it made the other team drop and it gave us space to let players like Bernier play. having a great counter attack is step 1 in claiming sustainable possession. do you agree ?

I don't think we were that good on the counter attack collectively, it was mostly Nacho doing the heavy lifting. The number of times he was out of the lineup the offense went dry. The problem we have currently is that we're actually establishing possession, the team is playing well defensively, but they have no creativity or chemistry in the last third. Lots of bad touches, static play, no one calls for the ball...There's zero movement. The mids and fwds have not found that cohesiveness.

And I agree that countering effectively is important to establish possession, but the key is before that IMO, It's about how high up the pitch you can gain possession. If you have a dominant midfield, you're most likely going to have a good team any way you play.

Reactions: DekeLikeYouMeanIt

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
the only players good at playing counter attack are Oduro and Jackson. To an extent, Mancosu but not Piatti. He ball hogs way too much, never really uses his pace much that defenders have enough time to track him back. If he plays at CF, we gotta play a more possession type of game.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
There's a pretty simple reason why you usually dont **** on your players though, and it's not a culture shock thing... you dont devaluate your own assets, especially if you're interested in swapping most of them in a few weeks. C'est pas ben ben winner come startégie de négos: "What would you be willing to give for all these ****ty players, I nkow they all lack talent but be nice". Kindof a dumbass thing to do as far as I'm concerned.

The culture shock I was referring to is that in hockey we're used to seeing coaches do everything not to get fired. But Garde is coaching like he's the one firing the players.

void

Jan 5, 2006
At this rhythm, Garde won't last the year.

Marinaro pretty much said that even the players don't think highly of him. Imagine him and his staff getting the boot 1 year into their collective $5M per year contracts? Joey gonna declare bankruptcy.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Marinaro pretty much said that even the players don't think highly of him. Imagine him and his staff getting the boot 1 year into their collective $5M per year contracts? Joey gonna declare bankruptcy.

I said it so often that I now sound like a broken record but... Joey and his friends absolutely suck at asset management/resource allocation. It is comical how bad they are.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I was done already with Garde since game #5 or #6. I’m not in favor of firing him though simply because Joey and his crew are a bunch of incompetent people at running a professional club. They still think they’re running a Sunday league amateur club. No matter what they do after they fire Garde will probably be another terror decision.

Garde is not a match with the players we have. And I don’t see him adapting to the MLS. It’s his way or there’s no other way. He never believed in this group, and he has given up on them. Joey is in a tough situation. He knows he can’t fire him, but needs to save face, so he’ll change half the players, but still keep NDS and Braz, and somehow still find a way to blame the fans and the media.

Reactions: ShaMu

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
C'est sûr que Garde ne donnera pas de cours de Marketing/ventes à personne ;)

Pourtant, j'apprécie son honnêteté. C'est rafraichissant.

Yeah, I'll give him that, especially when we're used to such opacity with this club.

The culture shock I was referring to is that in hockey we're used to seeing coaches do everything not to get fired. But Garde is coaching like he's the one firing the players.

Yeah, I get it. It's just that I've never seen a coach be so dismisive of his players at any soccer team I follow/followed, ever. To me, this is solely a Garde thing. I dunno, maybe Morinho does that kinda thing and I dont think highly of him either, to say the least.

It's starting to look to me like he's trying to save face for future ignorant eurosnob employers by throwing his players under the bus, and then on to sign with the next team of "untalented losers".

What I'm really worried about is him getting carte blanche with all the Camacho's he wants this summer and make our roster even worst, the guy seems clueless on how to react to the style and level he's competing in right now.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Canada is playing it's second game in the Toulon Tournament today (in 15 minutes), against Turkey at 1:30 pm (broadcasted by bein, so there are streams), after tying 0-0 against Portugal, considered the best team in our group.

Selling points; it's a prestigious youth tourney which weve been invited for the first time. Get to see Herdman and Biello at the reigns, and a bunch of our most exciting young prospect playing in european reserves or even first team, like Milar (Liverpool U23), Jonathan David (Gent II), Alessandro Busti (Juventus Primavera), Emile Legault (AJ Auxerres), and Kris Twardek (Milwall). Also a chance to see some IMFC youths in action (Pantemis, Kinumbe, Bayiha, Shome and M. Choinière). And lastly, it'll probably be more entertaining than the current IMFC horror show.

Edit: lineup for the game

Busti
Legault-Cornelius-Sidiki-Kinumbe
Okello-Daniels-Shome
Twardek-David-Millar​

Last edited:

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
still tied nil at the first half, both teams not showing much so far, some chances on both sides though, Canada cant make a pass and Turkey looks stuned that our players are able to play. They apparently have an older team than ours out there but it doesnt look like it, i'd say we're dominating physically, but that doesnt surprise me. Kinumbe was the best player for Canada in the first half imo, winning balls and making successfull runs forward.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Steven Gerard is there watching... Liam Millar to Rangers?

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Taider is here to stay

Taïder n'a pas de regret - 98,5 fm Montréal

I'm totally rooting for him, I think he can be a good player but he is clearly not good at CM or in a more advanced role. He would be good or better in 4231 alongside Piette deeper or the lone DM in a formation. That problem can only be resolved with a CAM. Try Krolicki there or get someone new and don't let Garde recruit. I was gonna suggest Piatti as #10 but we have no CF.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
It is mindboggling and infuriating how this team still does not have a proper #10. How long have we been saying it? Ever since Piatti came over and everyone realized he's better on the wing, everyone and their mother knew this team needed a real CAM. And yet, many years later we're still waiting.

The only players that were brought in that have played the position before were young projects (Ontivero, Vargas, Shipp). NDS and Braz failed to bring in even one capable starting playmaker in all this time.

It's f***ing embarrassing!

Reactions: Pax Macioretty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad