Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Immediately?

This article is two years old. Following this incident, Kovalchuk had two incredible years with SKA. You know who didn't? Zubov. He was fired.....what's the word? Oh, immediately.

Also, being "stripped" of the captaincy is fluffy as well. It was given to Pavel Datsyuk.

Yeah, but with context, it's so much harder to prove the point that Kovalchuk is a bad leader

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I dont put much stock in the whole mentor/leader thing, but I think a recent parallel is what happened to Jagr when he came here. His reputation as a malcontent was well publicized from his time in Washington. He was anything but as a Ranger.

We'll see what happens with Kovalchuk, but one thing is for certain, this roster needs all the talent it can get at this point.

Yuck

Sep 8, 2009
If you were Chytil, would you want Kovalchuk on your wing or, let's say, Spooner?

This is the point. Chytil/Anderson/young talent should be surrounded by talent to bring the best out of them. I like Kovy for two years just for this reason -- he should give Chytil some space and take some pressure off of him as the guy who is carrying the line. And if it fails? There is little risk to this as we aren't really a cup contender anyway for the next two years. Short term UFA signings is the wise move if you don't want to put out an unwatchable product and don't want to throw out a team of 20 year olds to lose game after game and shatter their confidence and development.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is the point. Chytil/Anderson/young talent should be surrounded by talent to bring the best out of them. I like Kovy for two years just for this reason -- he should give Chytil some space and take some pressure off of him as the guy who is carrying the line. And if it fails? There is little risk to this as we aren't really a cup contender anyway for the next two years. Short term UFA signings is the wise move if you don't want to put out an unwatchable product and don't want to throw out a team of 20 year olds to lose game after game and shatter their confidence and development.

Thanks for expanding. It was actually a rhetorical question, except for the fans that are against bringing Kovy on 2-year deal because "no expensive UFA's during rebuild".

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I dont put much stock in the whole mentor/leader thing, but I think a recent parallel is what happened to Jagr when he came here. His reputation as a malcontent was well publicized from his time in Washington. He was anything but as a Ranger.

We'll see what happens with Kovalchuk, but one thing is for certain, this roster needs all the talent it can get at this point.

Just for context, recent in this case is about as recent as the Herb Brooks Rangers felt to us when we were kids (pretty sure you and I are close to the same age)

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I agree @jas JT is not an ideal signing or Erik Karlsson based on their age 27 and the cost involved. And we are not ready to compete until Gorton have figure out the defense or hit with someone in the next two years in the draft and hopefully a high end young sniper prospect.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
If you were Chytil, would you want Kovalchuk on your wing or, let's say, Spooner?

In fairness, you couldn't have tapped two of the more polar opposites in terms of playing g style.

Spooner is a play making winger, Kovalchuck is a sniper.

For a young center, the sniper is what you want on his wing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In fairness, you couldn't have tapped two of the more polar opposites in terms of playing g style.

Spooner is a play making winger, Kovalchuck is a sniper.

For a young center, the sniper is what you want on his wing.

Sure but this is my point that for Chytil’s development Kovalchuk should be almost a perfectly complimentary winger to bring on a short term deal that costs nothing but his salary for a team that should not cap issues. Give me a better option if you think signing Kovalchuk is not a good idea.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Sure but this is my point that for Chytil’s development Kovalchuk should be almost a perfectly complimentary winger to bring on a short term deal that costs nothing but his salary for a team that should not cap issues. Give me a better option if you think signing Kovalchuk is not a good idea.

Didn't say that specifically.

I dont mind Kovalchuck on a short term deal

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think it's the -3 of the 2-3 year deal that we are hearing that everyone is concerned with and rightfully so, but If this somehow doesn't work out, he is probably going to be a valuable trade chip......we somehow need to have him signed to a 3rd year "optional" for the team and meet him in the middle with a limited amount of teams he would accept.
Thing is.......am I right in saying that he "just" wants to play for the Rangers? Help me out here guys. Thanks.

Reactions: egelband

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think it's the -3 of the 2-3 year deal that we are hearing that everyone is concerned with and rightfully so, but If this somehow doesn't work out, he is probably going to be a valuable trade chip......we somehow need to have him signed to a 3rd year "optional" for the team and meet him in the middle with a limited amount of teams he would accept.
Thing is.......am I right in saying that he "just" wants to play for the Rangers? Help me out here guys. Thanks.

Using deduction as well as his and his agent’s public statements there are 3 main motivations in no particular order

1. Ability to compete for SC

2. Financial stability / certainty

3. Closeness (tri-state) to his house in the area

The question is what would be his priorities if he’s unable to find a suitor who’d be able to perfectly satisfy all three.

From this perspective the Rangers clearly fit the 3rd motivation, and likely to to offer a contract size to his satisfaction but only on a two year term. Then the question is how valuable to him to have another year on his contract and the fact that there are teams that are more likely to be contenders during this period.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Using deduction as well as his and his agent’s public statements there are 3 main motivations in no particular order

1. Ability to compete for SC

2. Financial stability / certainty

3. Closeness (tri-state) to his house in the area

The question is what would be his priorities if he’s unable to find a suitor who’d be able to perfectly satisfy all three.

From this perspective the Rangers clearly fit the 3rd motivation, and likely to to offer a contract size to his satisfaction but only on a two year term. Then the question is how valuable to him to have another year on his contract and the fact that there are teams that are more likely to be contenders during this period.
Okay great. Playing "Devil's advocate" here. Then why wouldn't he simply want to play for the Devil's, as they seem to be closer than we are, based on last season anyway.

Okay, I'll answer my own question. They can't right? Or. is it they don't want him?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
i want Rick Nash on his wing. If you want to put kovalchuk on the other wing fine but I want nash there

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Yes, I agree @jas JT is not an ideal signing or Erik Karlsson based on their age 27 and the cost involved. And we are not ready to compete until Gorton have figure out the defense or hit with someone in the next two years in the draft and hopefully a high end young sniper prospect.

if we need to jump in the all-star 1A center UFA sweeps, we should probably wait till 2019. We'll have a better idea how the rebuild is going and the pool of talent is much much bigger with names like Seguin, Couture, Duchene, and lesser-1B/older ones like Brassard, Pavelski, Spezza, and Henrique. Frankly, I'd rather have Seguin over Tavares. I feel like Seguin just does everything a little better than JT + tougher. Hard to imagine Dallas would let him walk. I can't decide which of JT or TS would play better with Kovy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Okay great. Playing "Devil's advocate" here. Then why wouldn't he simply want to play for the Devil's, as they seem to be closer than we are, based on last season anyway.

Okay, I'll answer my own question. They can't right? Or. is it they don't want him?
They can't afford him lol

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Brooks is as heavily invested in the Rangers signing Kovy. I like Kovy a lot but he hasn't pushed this hard for a player since Avery/Holik. I wonder why lol :D

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

If the Rangers sign Kovalchuk to a 3 year deal and they want to trade him at the deadline, what kind of "valuable" trade chip do you think he'd actually be.

Im still very much on the fence about Kovalchuk, but its about term and what he has left in the tank.

Muevelo

Apr 7, 2018
Yeah they can afford Kovy(Devils) for a few years they can pretty much afford everyone right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad