Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So sign the guy who's the poster boy for bolting on your team for his homeland? I think a KHL team would be more likely to sign him in hopes of attracting current Russian NHLers to their league.

Why would a 20 year old kid use a 35 year old with back problems who may not see the end of his potential 3 year deal, as motivation on coming to play in the NHL?

Money, winning, location and opportunity should all mean much more to any young Russian player when deciding on whether or not to come here.

Having one of the best Russian players to play the game with 800+ games in NHL, Namestikov, Buchnevich makes a pretty Russian friendly locker-room for guys like Rykov/Shestyorkin. I mean, those two literally played with Kovy last 3/4 years in KHL. so if I were them, his familiar presence would make it a lot easier to sign and take my life to another continent.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
People doing the "guess the rebuild is off" nonsense don't have a clue. Rangers have 7 picks in this draft, just in the first 3 rounds. By 2019 draft they will have brought in 6 1st round picks (7 if TBL win cup) over 3 seasons. Add to that Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, any of the 2nds and 3rds that might pan out, prospects already in the system and of all the young guys that got their taste of NHL action this season and you're rebuilding. On top of that I can still see some moves being made sending Zucc and Namestnikov out for more futures or some sort of quantity for young quality deal.

You don't have to tank for 5 years in a row to be rebuilding. They still have a core of legit forwards that include both top 6 and bottom 6 style players and outside Zucc and AHL level plugs, nobody is over 26 years old. And I really can't stress enough what a coaching change will do for these remaining players, especially the defense.

As many have mentioned, Kovalchuk would not only add a scoring veteran to the group, but even more important is hoping he acts as an ambassador to help bring some of the Russian NYR prospects over and help them adjust. I think Kovy-Hayes-Buchnevich would be a solid scoring line behind Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello/Chytil (if Zucc is moved). Then you still have Andersson, Spooner, Fast, Vesey, Lettieri and Nieves that have NHL experience or are already legitimate NHL players. Defense needs work but they're loading up on young options to try and develop and still room and cap space to make trades. Start with Skjei-Shattenkirk/Staal-Pionk and then see what veteran or young guys can fill in from there. I'm not saying this would be cup competitive but definitely wild card competitive and still building.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Not a bad move. If they can keep the term to 2 yrs there is no way you can hate on a team for taking this deal. Everyone claiming that the rebuild is over for the Rangers really makes me scratch my head. I guess it's easy to see why none of us are GMs. This isn't the Rangers of 10yrs ago.

This is a free asset. On top of that it allows the Rangers to trade one or two more offensive assets for more assets without losing too much of a scoring punch.

You could ask why Kovy wants to do this, but that's a meaningless argument for us.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There is no hockey reason that this is a riskier move than most other free agent signings.

Borlag

Jan 27, 2006
Helsinki, Funland
Add in his hissy fits when his team isn't winning and I really don't see how his veteran presence is beneficial to a young team, quite the opposite. Kovalchuk isn't a bad player as such, but a bad role model for sure. Would be much better for a team actually chasing the cup for real, where his influence wouldn't be so big.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
People are saying they don't know why he'd be interested in joining the Rangers. I think it's fairly obvious that he loves the jersey designs.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I really like this for the Rangers. Buchnevich could learn a lot from Kovalchuk. Yeah Kovalchuk has his warts. I watched most games of his when he played with the Thrashers. But, I think the good outweighs the bad.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I really like this for the Rangers. Buchnevich could learn a lot from Kovalchuk. Yeah Kovalchuk has his warts. I watched most games of his when he played with the Thrashers. But, I think the good outweighs the bad.

Plus that was baby Kovy, he's really matured and grew up according to Brodeur who only had great things to say about him a few weeks ago. Just like baby Jagr was a terrible team player at first, he turned into a great leader as he matured and got older.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You could ask why Kovy wants to do this, but that's a meaningless argument for us.

giphy.webp

Reactions: blood gin

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Actually, he will probably sign a good contract, with a NMC. Live most of the season in The Big Apple (his preferred city to live in). Then at the TDL, when the Rangers miss, he will demand a trade and at that time decide which team he will allow the Rangers to trade hm to.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
I'd love to see Vancouver throw some money at Kovalchuk.

Seeing him play with Boeser would be fun.
Don’t think he’s coming to Vancouver, but I agree him and Boeser would be a treat to watch.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Don't understand why people are so baffled. Aquire a good veteran asset short term, allows them to move another forward for future assets and someone to help the young forwards in their roster grow.

Rebuilding isn't all about hoarding top five picks at all costs. It's a team game and you still have to develop young talent at all levels.

Smart move by the Rangers.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Well he turns 35 in a week and SKA's out so probably early next week it'll be 'official'. This is the ending I expected but most of my fellow Devil fans have had a blind spot for this player for years, maybe it's for the best this way to stop the pining once and for all.
I don't think he can sign a deal until July 1st. He is still NJ's property

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Actually, he will probably sign a good contract, with a NMC. Live most of the season in The Big Apple (his preferred city to live in). Then at the TDL, when the Rangers miss, he will demand a trade and at that time decide which team he will allow the Rangers to trade hm to.

This could make sense as a guy who wants to
A) Make as much as he can
B) Not cripple the team he is signing with to a big cap hit and
C) Means he can pick the team at or near the TDL so he knows they are in the playoffs.

I.E
Lets say he gets 5 million x 2 year offers from 5 teams he thinks will be cup contenders for the next 2 years. He knows them paying him 5 million will mean them signing less guys meaning its harder to win.
Instead, he signs for 6 million x 2 years with the Rangers. He knows he will get big minutes on their top 6, and likes the big Apple.
-He earns more money
- Gets to live in his preferred city

At the TDL he can give a list of 3-5 teams to the Rangers, and be dealt to his preferred playoff destination. Assuming the deal has NYR retaining a big part of his salary for futures (50%), the team he is going to gets a top 6 winger for a lower than usual cap hit. What does he care if if costs them a 1st+, he wont be in the league long enough for the team going all in to suffer from being short cited.

Rangers get him for half a season, and get good assets to re build for basically just cap space. He may help teach their young guys a thing or two, and if they somehow rebound next year they have a solid top 6 addition.

The team acquiring him get a solid top 6 winger for a lower cap hit than if they signed him directly, and in saving some cap can use it on another player to try and win the cup with. Getting a top 6 winger for 3 million who isnt just a rental is a pretty solid add.

He gets to both live in NY, and play for a cup contender. He doesnt handcuff the team who is looking to win with his full cap hit.

Kind of a win-win-win.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
The rangers are really not that far away.
Chytil and anderson will be in the big leagues next year
Shattenkirk will be back
Pionk will be up
Skjei is shaping into a good player
Smith might rebound
And all of the defensemen will benefit from not having AV as their coach.
The rangers will be competitive next year. Im all about them signing kovy and keeping zucc. Maybe nash comes back for a bargain price too. If that happens, NYR will be a dangerous team.
Buch-zib-kreider
Zucc-hayes-kovy
Nash-chytil-spooner
Andersson-nieves-names

Skjei-shattenkirk
Staal-pionk
Smith-ADA

King
Georgiev

Pretty solid lineup.. especially up front

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Rangers are always going to be a hot spot for free agents. If players are willing to take high salary, low term deals (Shattenkirk, Kovy) then why not take free assets. They can be used as trade chips later too.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
This will keep the Rangers out of the playoffs. It needs to be fixed.
3 really young guys who were in the worst defensive system in hockey and 3 who all played better away from it? I think theres enough talent there to make major strides away from AV. AV was trash. NYR won in spite of him. The ottawa series prooved what a buffoon he is.

Reactions: haveandare
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Yeah they should be typical MTL instead and trade their best prospect for a complimentary winger who they force to fail at center and then sit around and wonder what went wrong
yeah, Habs suck as well, but what do they have to do with this thread or Kovalchuk?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It's ovbious he is looking for big money, short term and only a rebuilding team can offer than. I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver gives him a monster offer too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad