Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk signing with NYR

bfaust30

Dec 25, 2015
I don’t care if he is 35 years old, the dude can shoot, he can quarter back the power play, he is the person that is shoot first which we have been dying to need. He can mold Pavel into what he once was if not better, he has ability to bring over the heir to the throne. He offers leadership I’m not saying he is captain, but a vocal guy as he captained team russia. The Rangers need a vet and even though he may be playing for money or whatever. The guy can flat out play. No defensive player bull**** this is a guy that says give me the puck and I will try and score. The team has too many unselfish players, need someone like this. People hate him for what he has done, but respect him in NYC when he attracts russian players and mold this rangers team into the redwings of the 90's.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Meh. Not really annoyed at Kovalchuk or the Rangers. If anything, when you look back at what started this successful rebuild, it was Kovalchuk leaving. If he had stayed, the Devils probably would've stayed afloat as a fringe playoff team. Now what's interesting is the Rangers are in a similar situation. I think they did a good job this year starting the rebuild and stockpiling some picks. Because of that I question if Kovalchuk is the right move at this time
I'd guess the plan is to add Kovy in order to be able to stockpile even more picks and/or young players. If they add Kovalchuk they can move 2 of Zucc/Namestnikov/Spooner without being a totally garbage offense. Add a guy for free, move some guys for more assets - the net is getting assets for just cash, which is a big win for a team with tons of money trying to rebuild.

Also, next year Rykov and Shestyorkin can come over from Russia if they choose to - both have played with Kovalchuk for years so he may also help NYR cement some assets they currently own as NHL players.

The bigger question to me is why he wants to join this team specifically but if he does I'll take him for the reasons mentioned above. Plays to the larger rebuild strategy in multiple ways.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If their goal is to lure more Russians to help rebuild, makes sense.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Ah yes classic hf wondering why a rebuilding team isn't trying to suck as hard as humanly possible while simultaneously wondering what could have possibly gone wrong in buffalo and Edmonton.

No draft picks lost and no long term commitment to get a good player is a good move by the rangers

Ding ding ding ding ding, we have a winner!

The Rangers aren't bottoming out and infecting themselves with the incurable virus that the Sabres did.

Yeah they got Eichel, but in doing so they dug themselves in a massive hole that they're no closer to getting themselves out of 3 years later.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Or help bring over Rykov and Shestyorkin.

It's hilarious that Devils fans were writing off Rykov because they were positive he was staying in Russia. Then simultaneously bash us signing Kovy which helps ease that doubt.

If the Rykov staying in Russia thing was true and then Kovy attracts him to NY and that ends up being Kovys biggest contribution to the rangers, then I'm more than OK with it.

Reactions: bl02

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Ve arr gettink klosser!

russian-five-e1343936584734.jpg

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You don’t have to spend years tanking to rebuild... Rangers have three 1sts this draft and has two last year.

Good move for the Rangers... you sign a Kovalchuk for 2-3 years and now you can trade a Zuccarello...

Exactly. Buffalo and Edmonton finish last a couple times, draft first or 2nd and 3, 4, 5 years later are still trying to "rebuild".

Teams can and do rebuild from the middle, and adding good players (especially when they cost nothing but money) is never a bad thing. Only in the HF world should teams be either "all in" or "TANK!"

born2run24

Jul 20, 2017

So sign the guy who's the poster boy for bolting on your team for his homeland? I think a KHL team would be more likely to sign him in hopes of attracting current Russian NHLers to their league.

Why would a 20 year old kid use a 35 year old with back problems who may not see the end of his potential 3 year deal, as motivation on coming to play in the NHL?

Money, winning, location and opportunity should all mean much more to any young Russian player when deciding on whether or not to come here.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This helps the rebuild. Add a servicable scoring winger for free and move a scoring winger you have for more assets
Giving a young C or young W someone like Kovy for a linemate is a good thing.

Oh but it would be better for a player's development to stick him with other 19 year olds and to get crushed for 3 years.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Giving a young C or young W someone like Kovy for a linemate is a good thing.

Oh but it would be better for a player's development to stick him with other 19 year olds and to get crushed for 3 years.
Exactly - someone like Chytil would really benefit from playing with him, a shifty pass first center and Kovy could work well imo.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Sounds like your typical, I hate NY, bashing crap that you see on these boards all the time. Kovalchuk is a good player to help with the rebuild. Fans bashing this move are just pissed their team didn't sign him.

Steal Your Faceoff

Jan 14, 2016
NJ
People hate him for what he has done, but respect him in NYC when he attracts russian players and mold this rangers team into the redwings of the 90's.
So your telling us the rangers haven't just started a rebuild, but they've taken the first step in creating the next NHL dynasty? I never knew it was that easy.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Maybe. Just seems an odd fit for both given where they each stand.

NY has a ton of picks and some prospects ready or pretty close to ready to make the jump. Adding some talent around them isn't a bad idea. If they were giving up draft picks or prospects to add Kovy, I'd totally agree. But I think more teams should try to surround their kids with competent players.

Ironically, I always thought your Avs back in the day were good at that. Drury and Hedjuk had impactful rookie seasons because they were joining a team that was good. Throwing kids on a team without any talent always seems to be a recipe for disaster IMO.

Reactions: Sens

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't see the problem with this for Rangers, gives them a quality vet, won't make them a playoff team though, but I really struggle with Kovy and the fit for him. He's going from a longterm contender from KHL to bottom 10 team in the league for the rest of his NHL career.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Throwing kids on a team without any talent always seems to be a recipe for disaster IMO.

It's exactly what went wrong for the Oilers in the early Hall years. And they still haven't recovered from the poisonous environment and team culture that created.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Makes sense. The Rangers are doing s mini rebuild so let’s sign an old winger that’s been out of the league for a number or years. Typical Ranger move and they wonder why they never win.

I mean you can't have a team full of 20-year-olds and win a cup, this move provides solid leadership to come especially with all the young Russian talent the Rangers have in the pipeline.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
Kovalchuk is good, he can still play

Rangers could easily turn it around with a good draft and off season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad