News Article: Ilya Kovalchuk Reportedly Wants To Join The Rangers

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I can't believe this thread has nearly 300 posts. Ilya Kovalchuk????He was slow 4 years ago. The Rangers want to play fast. All I read from Rangers fans and the bloggers are Joe Thornton and Kovalchuk. ��

Glen Sather:
“It's better to be a lion for one day than be a mouse for life."

Seriously though, I was in favor of looking at Jumbo but I've changed my mind. Don't think Kova is a fit.

Last edited:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/20...wants-come-back-nhl-2017-18-ska-st-petersburg

#2. Kovalchuk wants to be a free agent - and every NHL team approves of his return as a free agent.

Therefore, for him to talk and sign with other teams, he needs to get every single teams to agree with reinstating him in this manner. This would include the Devils. While much has changed in four years, it would only take one “no” out of thirty teams (Aside: Or would it be thirty-one? Would Las Vegas have a say in this?). It could be for any reason, really. Whether it’s out of principle or not wanting someone to get his services, one rejection means Kovalchuk’s options are limited to New Jersey or sitting out until he’s 35.

Small but theoretical chance to nab Kovy for only the cap-space. Just saying.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
This should be a complete no brainer for Gorton to be that guy who says NO. Why would we want our rival to get stronger by trading Kovalchuk?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
This should be a complete no brainer for Gorton to be that guy who says NO. Why would we want our rival to get stronger by trading Kovalchuk?
They need 30 teams to say no for him to be a free agent, not for the Devils to get his rights.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
there is zero chance that he becomes a free agent. why would any team that isn't going to try to sign him say yes to him being a free agent

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Let him stay in Russia. Wanted no part of him on the Rangers anyways, especially for what it would've cost to sign him.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Just my speculation, but Kovalchuk's agent probably reached out to the NYR camp about him signing there. Rangers said "Thanks but no thanks, we want to go in a different direction" and viola, Kovalchuk wants to make nice with SKA.

It's funny.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
i would love this guy, idk why everyone is so against it, 1 or 2 year deal is not a big deal at all. He also has a snipe of a shot and would be huge on the powerplay

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Just my speculation, but Kovalchuk's agent probably reached out to the NYR camp about him signing there. Rangers said "Thanks but no thanks, we want to go in a different direction" and viola, Kovalchuk wants to make nice with SKA.

It's funny.

I'm sure it's something to that effect even if it wasn't just about the Rangers. Float the rumors out there to gauge interest and when nothing really panned out he backed off.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Rangers are hopefully going in the right direction. Kovalchuk hoped they would be going in his direction, also known as the wrong direction.
**** Kovalchuk. Last guy I would want to see wearing a blueshirt.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
i would love this guy, idk why everyone is so against it, 1 or 2 year deal is not a big deal at all. He also has a snipe of a shot and would be huge on the powerplay

Bringing in a guy like Kovalchuk would be another band-aid solution when this team should be pushing for youth and energy. I would totally understand if the Rangers said thanks, but no thanks.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is he what's standing between the Rangers and a Cup?
If that's the threshold, I don't think any team should make any moves ever.

The consensus was the Rangers were better than Ottawa, and even if that's not your opinion, it's easy to envision the series turning out differently. Ottawa then was an OT goal away from the Cup finals. Now we're watching two noticeably flawed teams fight it out for the Cup and we're still talking as if only perfect teams should bother trying. I don't get it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
id want Kovy if it was for essentially nothing, and if you then move a forward to address the defense..then you dont lose much in scoring and can fix the defense. asset management.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
id want Kovy if it was for essentially nothing, and if you then move a forward to address the defense..then you dont lose much in scoring and can fix the defense. asset management.

I just have a hard time seeing New Jersey settling and giving away Kovalchuk for nothing, especially to the Rangers.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
agreed...its the only scenario id really want him, and in essence, its just a flight of fancy.

Agreed, but I've seen a few people say "Well Kovalchuk gave New Jersey his demands to play in the NYC area." I just don't see the Devils catering to Kovy's demands especially all that he's put them through :laugh:

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If that's the threshold, I don't think any team should make any moves ever.

The consensus was the Rangers were better than Ottawa, and even if that's not your opinion, it's easy to envision the series turning out differently. Ottawa then was an OT goal away from the Cup finals. Now we're watching two noticeably flawed teams fight it out for the Cup and we're still talking as if only perfect teams should bother trying. I don't get it.

Seriously.

Not to say Ilya is the answer to anything but the general "if this move doesn't solve everything then why bother?" mentality is perplexing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I just have a hard time seeing New Jersey settling and giving away Kovalchuk for nothing, especially to the Rangers.

Next year they lose his rights for nothing anyway. An asset, any asset, would be better.

That being said, I have no issue with the Rangers simply passing here.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I just don't see the Devils catering to Kovy's demands especially all that he's put them through :laugh:

i just don't see Ray Shero doing anything but what's best for his team,
the stuff in the past is in the past, and nothing to do with Ray.

If the Rangers agreed to what he asked for, i dont think he'd care about either of seeing Kovy 4-5 times a year for the next couple, or making Kovy "happy"

you know those fans, if Kovy scored against Devils for NYR, they'd probably give him a special 'you suck' chant

(which does not mean i want NYR to pay up for Kovy, i dont.
i just think the arguemnts that NJD management will make an emotional, rather than rational, decision unlikely)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad