Ilya Kovalchuk In Russia For Lockout: Coming (back) To America!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I hope you guys/gals are right, because a few times reporters asked him what does he want to say to Devils fans and he did not say anything along the lines of being thrilled to be back, excited to play for the Devils or even to thank the fans.
He did say a few times that he had to come back due to the contract. :dunno:

Meanwhile, Zajac says he wants to be here and belives 100% in the organization.

Why would Kovy sign a 17 year deal and then a 15 year deal if he didn't want to be here?

apice3*

I'm not sure how his sleep schedule works but after spending months in a country on 10 hour time difference, he's probably tired as ****.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Good answer Kovy I've been playing real Hockey for 4 Months.
What a dumb question that was.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
After the ******** the media's been spinning about his intentions, I'd be snippy/snarky too. Plus the jet leg.
North American media has never been kind or fair to Kovalchuk, so why should he be kind to them with their stupid questions?

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Sounded like he really didn't know the ******** was going on because he had the blessing of Lou. Paying back to the people that took him in and enjoyed his talent. Sounds like a stand up guy I want on the team. To the media making mountains out of mole hills **** off.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
I mean, I wouldn't blame him if he is pissed at the media. He was doing a really good thing and the media made it seem like he was an a**. There was NO difference between what him and Datsyuk did, yet everyone is only getting on Kovy for it.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
Well I liked Kovy's answers. And his tone. He was clearly pissed with media. They took non-existing story, ran it like nuts, and now, on top, want him to talk about it. GTFO.
As man said - that question never existed. And why would he kiss fans a$$es? Why would he publicly take a dump on everything he said and did back home. He did it cause he wanted it and loved every minute of it. With Lou's blessing. That's it.
Media can keep on jogging if they think he will become one if those flip-flops. Hope Kovy never changes.

Redtoemonster

Oct 10, 2010
North American media has never been kind or fair to Kovalchuk, so why should he be kind to them with their stupid questions?

NA media has never been kind or fair to foreigners in general, even outside of hockey (NBA, NASCAR).

He is certainly tired in this interview, and he's getting questions that clearly get on his nerves. On top of all this, Kovy's never been a particularly animated guy during interviews anyway.

My only concern is the fact that he's been playing in a highly competitive league for the past 4, sorry, 3 months. I think he'll have some great jump early on, but I really hope he doesn't fade during the playoffs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
NA media has never been kind or fair to foreigners in general, even outside of hockey (NBA, NASCAR).

He is certainly tired in this interview, and he's getting questions that clearly get on his nerves. On top of all this, Kovy's never been a particularly animated guy during interviews anyway.

My only concern is the fact that he's been playing in a highly competitive league for the past 4, sorry, 3 months. I think he'll have some great jump early on, but I really hope he doesn't fade during the playoffs.

Yup, and that last part is why I'm hoping he isn't used 25 minutes a night. There's no need for that cause he's already got the wear, and tear. And the guys who've been playing in the AHL, but none get the minutes he does except maybe Larsson. I hope he's not on for all 2 minutes of PP's, and most of the PK's either like last year.

apice3*

The KHL is like a roller league on ice. It's all offense, minimal defense, and little physicality.

I'm more concerned with him playing like a KHL player as opposed to him tiring out.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The KHL is like a roller league on ice. It's all offense, minimal defense, and little physicality.

I'm more concerned with him playing like a KHL player as opposed to him tiring out.

He was surprisingly 6th in the league in plus minus with a +21 I think at the time he left. Has he ever even finished a season with a plus rating in the NHL?:laugh:

apice3*

I think he was positive the year he came to NJ in the trade. He was definitely positive here. Not sure if he was if you carry ATL's stats over. Too lazy to google.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
He was surprisingly 6th in the league in plus minus with a +21 I think at the time he left. Has he ever even finished a season with a plus rating in the NHL?:laugh:

This shows that Lemaire and DeBoer have really whipped him into shape defensively. His defensive skills are average by NHL forward standards, which makes him a remarkable two-way player by Kontinental Sniper League standards.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
I hope you guys/gals are right, because a few times reporters asked him what does he want to say to Devils fans and he did not say anything along the lines of being thrilled to be back, excited to play for the Devils or even to thank the fans.
He did say a few times that he had to come back due to the contract. :dunno:

Meanwhile, Zajac says he wants to be here and belives 100% in the organization.

Partly, I think it's a cultural thing. Americans are taught to say the things making people feel good and all, Russians don't really play that game. I mean in general, without wanting to generalize.

apice3*

This shows that Lemaire and DeBoer have really whipped him into shape defensively. His defensive skills are average by NHL forward standards, which makes him a remarkable two-way player by Kontinental Sniper League standards.

Eh. I'm not sure Malkin had a better +/- in the KHL. That league +/- seems to be driven on how many goals you score. In the NHL, it seem to be driven by how many you prevent. Not sure why.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
That ending was the best "You know ive played real hockey for 3 months now -- fans will come back and we'll have a great season." Straight forward talking, love this guy for it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
IK played like 2 games a week for less than 20 minutes per game. He will be just fine for the playoffs.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart

That roller hockey league has a lower goals/game average than the NHL does....

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I hear he was still playing decent defence in the KHL, so I've got no problem with that. I'm sure he'll be right back in the swing of things, especially since he's been playing and many others haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad