Ilya Kovalchuk In Russia For Lockout: Coming (back) To America!

Status
Not open for further replies.

apice3*

Melrose is popular because ESPN specifically chose him to be the hockey guy, knowing he is a complete idiot and would do a terrible job representing the sport. It is further evidence of how ESPN actively tries to make hockey look bad. People watch him and think "This is the hockey guy? The go to guy for league info? This league must be a total joke."

Buccigross >>>> Melrose

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Melrose is popular because ESPN specifically chose him to be the hockey guy, knowing he is a complete idiot and would do a terrible job representing the sport. It is further evidence of how ESPN actively tries to make hockey look bad. People watch him and think "This is the hockey guy? The go to guy for league info? This league must be a total joke."

If that's the case then why does the NHL Network employ him? ESPN was not intentionally trying to sabotage the sport when they had it.

He's sort of the US version of Don Cherry, or at least he fancies himself as such when he goes off the reservation, saying contreversial **** for the sake of doing so.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If that's the case then why does the NHL Network employ him?

He's sort of the US version of Don Cherry, or at least he fancies himself as such when he goes off the reservation.

Because ESPN hyped him up so much that he's incredibly recognizable even for non NHL fans who the NHL is trying to convert.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Melrose used to come on NHL2nite on ESPN back in the 90s. After he got canned by the Kings from his coaching spot.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Well nevermind. There were quotes by Patty saying it probably wont be him (Elias) and quotes by Sal saying that the probably wont ask him (Bryce)...I guess it will be Salvador...

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

That honestly wouldn't surprise me. ESPN does go out of its way to make hockey look bad on PTI and SportsCentre.

I'd say that pic was taken in St. Petersburg.

I agree. I'm going to sound like a total nerd here, but the exit sign behind Kovy is the European version. We don't have the running green man here.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
yea thats what gave it away for me. love the running guy.

..."i gotta take a piss or leave right away, get outta my way!!!"

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
with kovy back i wanted to look back at the trade.........

from the "where are they now?" files:

thrashers/jets:

Patrice Cormier - st johns (winnipeg) ....this season 10 GP.... 1 G, 0 A

Johnny Oduya - chicago, trade for 2013 second round pick (?-?), 2013 third round pick (?-?)

Niclas Bergfors - packaged with Patrick Rissmiller in trade to get Radek Dvorak (still on jets) and 2011 fifth round pick (#132-Sean Kuraly) ...begfors is now in KHL

the 2 picks the devils sent were packaged with Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb, Jeremy Morin to get Dustin Byfuglien (still on jets), Ben Eager, Brent Sopel, Akim Aliu

Sopel was used to get Ben Maxwell (who they waived this week) and 2011 fourth round pick (#107-Olivier Archambault)

Eager was used to get 2011 fifth round pick (#148-Austen Brassard)

Akiu was used to get John Negrin who the team declined to tender qualifying offer, making player an unrestricted free agent.... signed with AHL chicago wolves.

alot of movement parlayed into cormier, picks, dvorak and buff

-----------
devils: loss of 1st and 3rd pick

Ilya Kovalchuk

Anssi Salmela - let go to KHL

2010 second round pick (#38-Jonathon Merrill) <--- oh ya!

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Id like to see this
51t5WSGjVaL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

and shopped Kovy + Ilya Kovalchuk there :laugh:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
with kovy back i wanted to look back at the trade.........

from the "where are they now?" files:

thrashers/jets:

Patrice Cormier - st johns (winnipeg) ....this season 10 GP.... 1 G, 0 A

Johnny Oduya - chicago, trade for 2013 second round pick (?-?), 2013 third round pick (?-?)

Niclas Bergfors - packaged with Patrick Rissmiller in trade to get Radek Dvorak (still on jets) and 2011 fifth round pick (#132-Sean Kuraly) ...begfors is now in KHL

the 2 picks the devils sent were packaged with Marty Reasoner, Joey Crabb, Jeremy Morin to get Dustin Byfuglien (still on jets), Ben Eager, Brent Sopel, Akim Aliu

Sopel was used to get Ben Maxwell (who they waived this week) and 2011 fourth round pick (#107-Olivier Archambault)

Eager was used to get 2011 fifth round pick (#148-Austen Brassard)

Akiu was used to get John Negrin who the team declined to tender qualifying offer, making player an unrestricted free agent.... signed with AHL chicago wolves.

alot of movement parlayed into cormier, picks, dvorak and buff

-----------
devils: loss of 1st and 3rd pick

Ilya Kovalchuk

Anssi Salmela - let go to KHL

2010 second round pick (#38-Jonathon Merrill) <--- oh ya!

We really did make out like bandits in that deal. Depending on what happens with Merrill, we just might have ended up with the two best players in the whole series of deals.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I hope you guys/gals are right, because a few times reporters asked him what does he want to say to Devils fans and he did not say anything along the lines of being thrilled to be back, excited to play for the Devils or even to thank the fans.
He did say a few times that he had to come back due to the contract. :dunno:

Meanwhile, Zajac says he wants to be here and belives 100% in the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->