Player Discussion Iiro Pakarinen

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Solid MacT pickup, but good on the Oilers for making this one look better than some of our other shot in the darks from Europe or NCAA. Wasn't forced into a role that he couldn't handle and once he got his shot did what he does best.

Really like the energy he plays with and the willingness to get into the dirty areas. He's the definition of that type of player that makes you harder to play against. Doesn't fight, but he wears opponents down.

Serious question, he has 88 hits in 37 games but only 2 PIMs. Anyone else out there that is that physical, but has that few PIMs? Not only is he hitting, but he's make smart legal hits.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Classic example of a player needing proper support to be even more effective. Pak is hitting even more now, and being a bigger presence due to Kassian having his back.

Those two obviously work well off each other.

That's what happens when you get a player like Kassian is he helps make other players better.

Iiro has the ingredients. skill, shot, hitting, forecheck. But he's grown with Kass.

The first goal they scored was classic pressuring chaos. loved that whole sequence and with the Kass goal being a product of forecheck, relentless, and staying in position for chances.
I always liked Pak and glad this has happened for him.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Oh, I'm sure that when some other player steps up his game Pak will lose his, just to ensure that we're never firing on all cylinders. That's rule #1 for the Oilers this year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oh, I'm sure that when some other player steps up his game Pak will lose his, just to ensure that we're never firing on all cylinders. That's rule #1 for the Oilers this year.

Maybe he can be like Hendricks. Always giving 100%, doing something at least.

We don't need him to score, but going out and generating energy is something this team has lacked since the time when all we had was energy players but not skill.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
A poor mans Lennart Petrell :) Hey, i am one of the few people that seemed to like Petrell.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Pretty sure there is a select group of Oil fans that hates this kid ... seen them in just about every GDT.. Glad they have quiet down these day.

IMO Chia can safely slot Kassian, Pakarinen and Hendricks into our bottom 6 for next year leaving the other 3 spots open.

A month ago we had no short term potential cap issues but with Davidson, Kassian and Pakarinen performing Chia will have to do some actual managing this offseason.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
A solid fourth liner. Not bad for free but he doesn't belong anywhere near the top lines.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
A solid fourth liner. Not bad for free but he doesn't belong anywhere near the top lines.

He is more than a 4th liner .. The role he is currently playing in suits him perfect.
3rd line with some PK time.

Kassian-Hendricks-Pakarinen is a solid 3A line.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Been saying Pak is a good player and an excellent addition to this team since the start of the season. No reason to change my mind now. Good that others that keep saying our bottom 6 sucks can now see the stuff he brings.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Looked like junk to me until recently. One of our worst players at times.

Only recently looks NHL worthy and that's still debateable.

Kassian obviously is far superior from what we have seen of him just as a quick example.

If he keeps it up great, if not... oh well. Shrug.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He is more than a 4th liner .. The role he is currently playing in suits him perfect.
3rd line with some PK time.

Kassian-Hendricks-Pakarinen is a solid 3A line.

I disagree. He plays physical but brings little else other than that. Fourth liner to a tee as far as I am concerned. Nothing wrong with that, but if he's getting much more than 5-7 minutes a night then there are big issues.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Liked his game of late. Was thinking lander pak and Gadzic wouldn't be here after all star break with Connor yak kassian in the lineup. Obviously that's changed with rnh injury now.

Got a strong forecheck and he's always finishing his checks. If he stays out of top 6 I don't mind. Either him or korp on the fourth line duties with Hendricks and Letestu would be nice. But he sure does look good with a kassian causing havoc out there.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ive liked Pak since last season. He always seems to get injured just as soon as he gets it going

Does the most important things a depth guy should do, hit alot, and shoot from anywhere at anytime.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I thought his game started turning around when he began playing with fellow fin Korpi. They worked very well together on the forecheck.

I'd like to see them try him on the point for the PP. He played both fwd and D in Finland, he has a cannon of a shot, isn't afraid to use it and is pretty effective at getting it through.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Looked like junk to me until recently. One of our worst players at times.

Only recently looks NHL worthy and that's still debateable.

Kassian obviously is far superior from what we have seen of him just as a quick example.

If he keeps it up great, if not... oh well. Shrug.

Kassian is a former mid 1st round draft pick and has a history of playing in the top 6. Based on his pedigree he sure as hell SHOULD be playing at a much higher level than bottom 6 low draft or non draft slugs.

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I disagree. He plays physical but brings little else other than that. Fourth liner to a tee as far as I am concerned. Nothing wrong with that, but if he's getting much more than 5-7 minutes a night then there are big issues.

kinda like how played over 14mins and had so many issues last night..
When Hendricks was out serving his ban Pakarinin stepped up a gear. IMO he would be a good replacement for Hendricks down the road and is clearly more than just a 4th line plug.

not sure where the 5-7 mins max is coming from. I say 10-12mins if we have to put a number on TOI. This would include PK time.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
I have liked his game too lately. Hits a lot and those are heavy hits, eventhough he isnt the biggest guy. He is also very versatile player(and reliable). Mainly a winger, but can play center too. In FEL he actually played few games as a defenseman when his team got short of Dmen because injuries.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
He is playing very well lately, I'd consider him a long term bottom six option if he keeps it up. Love the hits, fore and back checking, shot, ability to take a pass and make a pass. He is looking like a solid 3rd liner and I think he may be a better centre than winger but that remains to be seen

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
He's been good. Happy to see him clearly jump over Klink and Lander no the depth chart this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad