Player Discussion Iiro Pakarinen

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
Throw Kassian in front of the net and Iiro on point? Think someone mentioned Kassian has been working on deflections in front of net so it would make sense to try it out.

it seems rather silly if they don't give that a shot. Pakarinen has a very deceptive shot and he isn't shy to use it, not sure why they would continue handcuffing his opportunity to use it. Puts both Pakarinen and Kassian in a position to succeed if they would atleast experiment it.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Why would we have him shooting 100+MPH from the point when we have Schultz who shoots it as hard as Anders Nilsson did in the skills comp with goalie pads on?

Schultz would whine about it. So that doesn't seem like a good idea. We don't want to upset our prized College UFA.

Anything is an upgrade at this point in time. Everything is progress.

I can't even remember what McDavid's spot on the Powerplay is. Wasn't he where Hemsky used to set up on the left half boards?

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Schultz would whine about it. So that doesn't seem like a good idea. We don't want to upset our prized College UFA.

Anything is an upgrade at this point in time. Everything is progress.

I can't even remember what McDavid's spot on the Powerplay is. Wasn't he where Hemsky used to set up on the left half boards?

He played on both half walls, there didn't seem to be one or the other.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I remember when many thought he wasn't even good enough for the 4th line. He's great. Crow, eat it now.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I remember when many thought he wasn't even good enough for the 4th line. He's great. Crow, eat it now.

Meh. I'd like someone who hit more or score 10 or more.
But when he does score it is a timely goal. If only he could pot a few more. Then he'd really make the battle for the bottom six interesting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Meh. I'd like someone who hit more or score 10 or more.
But when he does score it is a timely goal. If only he could pot a few more. Then he'd really make the battle for the bottom six interesting.
Really don't know that any team would expect that kind of production out of a guy playing 10 minutes a night.

Lol, eating crow on guys making the 4th line of one of the worse teams in the league?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I liked him a lot last year and thought we had a potential player for the bottom 6 in Pakarinen but he started pretty slow in his callup and didn't manage to do a whole lot but he's been solid for awhile now and it's nice to see. He loves to hit and is a pain in the ass, is responsible, is a righty, has good size, and has a great shot. These are all attributes we can use in the bottom 6. He's also not inept offensively meaning he can move up to the middle 6 from time to time. Young enough to get a bit better too. I like Pakarinen, hopefully he can keep it up and if he can't he's at worst a decent depth forward.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Really don't know that any team would expect that kind of production out of a guy playing 10 minutes a night.

Lol, eating crow on guys making the 4th line of one of the worse teams in the league?

We've seen Ryan Jones and Curtis Glencross do it here.
I know Glencross was a lot more than that for awhile. He broke in with a pre prime Brodziak and Huggy Bear Stortini.

Point is, it is entirely possible to score at least 10 per season. It isn't a lot. Good teams have the depth.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What's the situation of Iiro Pakarinen his contract has finished so do you have room for him during your rebuild of is he getting traded etc.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
What's the situation for Iiro Pakarinen he's contract has finished with Oilers so do you have room for him in Oilers during your rebuild of is he getting traded etc.

He'll get qualified. I'd pencil him in on the 4th line.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What's the situation of Iiro Pakarinen his contract has finished so do you have room for him during your rebuild of is he getting traded etc.

I got time for him. Got good shot supression number. A viable 4th line option. Offense is meh, but a major positive is that he shoots from literally anyway and has a good shot. I really value that in depth guys. Just get puck on net

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Could care less.

Hasn't shown enough IMO.

If the staff likes him and resigns him it's more of a devil you know situation than because they see an impact player.

Even on a team with zero RWers and finishing second last he is a 13th forward.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I'd like to see more from him but have no problem with him on our 4th line

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
He was a rookie who finished his checks and earned his spot in the line-up most evenings. I don't know why the Oilers wouldn't give him a chance to see what he can do with more experience? Not every young player is destined for a top-6 role.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pak was basically as good as Chiarelli hoped Korpse would have been, but wasn't.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I see him getting a qualifying offer and either starting the season in Bako or being loaned to a Euro club.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
He's a young guy with decent skills and physicality. As long as he's content playing a depth role with the possibility of moving up depending on injuries/hot streaks I'm happy to sign him. Just not for a ton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad