Player Discussion Iiro Pakarinen

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Good depth guy. On 4th line, in the press box, or in Bakersfield, either way he's a good guy to have around. He probably even has a little bit of upside left too. Quality shot, physical, good defensively, right handed, and doesn't handle the puck like a grenade no reason not to keep him around.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The 4th line RW is his to lose in my book. He's steadily progressed through his two years here, is it wrong to thing he can't continue doing that?

A physical player who's body isn't made of paper mache (Pitlick/Joensuu), and not a liability on the ice (Gazdic/Klinkhammer), this is the type of guys they should be getting for the bottom six.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The 4th line RW is his to lose in my book. He's steadily progressed through his two years here, is it wrong to thing he can't continue doing that?

A physical player who's body isn't made of paper mache (Pitlick/Joensuu), and not a liability on the ice (Gazdic/Klinkhammer), this is the type of guys they should be getting for the bottom six.

He's only 24 so I don't know why he couldn't. He put up some pretty decent offense in OKC so there could be more to come from that standpoint. Or maybe like others he just focuses on what he has to do to become an everyday bottom 6 NHLer.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
:naughty:

I'm in a similar boat. I'm hoping we get a few depth guys to keep him as the 13th forward, but there's nothing wrong with having a 24 year old 15-20 point guy, who does everything he's asked to do, as a 4th liner

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Welcome back Iiro!

Dusting off this old thread and bringing it back to life. :thumbu:

McLellan said in his press statement that Pakarinen will be in the lineup tonight.

First game of the season for Iiro, hope he gets a goal to put some swagger in his stride.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If Iiro plays 7 more games then he counts for the expansion draft requirements

Unless he gets injured I'm sure he will, although I don't expect him to be taken and we already had Pouliot and Letestu available to be exposed. I guess it saves you having to expose Letestu if you don't want to.

Paks a great 4th line/depth guy who can add some speed, physicality, hard work and a quality shot to your 4th line. Happy to have him back as he's essentially the replacement to Hendricks to inject more speed into the lineup. Our bottom 6 is in good hands with guys like Khaira, Pitlick, Pak, Caggiula, Slepyshev and Letestu rounding into quality NHLers for us.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If Iiro plays 7 more games then he counts for the expansion draft requirements

You don't seriously think Vegas would consider taking him? I like Pak but players like him are dime a dozen. If they want to take him I would laugh and it would be great.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
You don't seriously think Vegas would consider taking him? I like Pak but players like him are dime a dozen. If they want to take him I would laugh and it would be great.

This isn't regarding exposing/exempt, he's exposed no matter what(unless Chia protected him for some odd reason). But once he plays another 7 games he'll meet the 40/70 games requirement, where every team has to expose two forwards who played 40 games this year or 70 over the last two years combined. It could allow Chia to make some other moves with roster players still having Pak around to meet that requirement.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
This isn't regarding exposing/exempt, he's exposed no matter what(unless Chia protected him for some odd reason). But once he plays another 7 games he'll meet the 40/70 games requirement, where every team has to expose two forwards who played 40 games this year or 70 over the last two years combined. It could allow Chia to make some other moves with roster players still having Pak around to meet that requirement.
Yea, thats what I was getting at sorry.
If the Oilers are going 7-3 I'd protect Letestu over Iiro.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Just wanted to throw Iiro some love, as his PK game has been magnificent lately. Today against Carolina he broke up a cross-seam pass that would have got through 100 times out 100 three months ago, before Chia/Todd realized that they needed to staple a PK role-player to the 4th line. Too late for this season but I think it's madness if they don't bring him back at 725k.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Just wanted to throw Iiro some love, as he PK game has been magnificent lately. Today against Carolina he broke up a cross-seam pass that would have got through 100 times out 100 three months ago, before Chia/Todd realized that they needed to staple a PK role-player to the 4th line. Too late for this season but I think it's madness if they don't bring him back at 725k.
our PK was a disaster before Pakman, probably because we got rid of all our PK role players and didn't replace them, although guys like Jokinen were supposed to be better.

But yes, for our PK we just can't afford to lose Iiro

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I like his game, but he's not good enough to be a consistent starter on a team expected to make the playoffs.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
our PK was a disaster before Pakman, probably because we got rid of all our PK role players and didn't replace them, although guys like Jokinen were supposed to be better.

But yes, for our PK we just can't afford to lose Iiro
Iiro is great on the PK, but I would like to try to get someone who provides more at 5 on 5, while still being very good on the PK. I would 100% give Iiro another contract if he wants it though, solid depth and solid AHL vet, but not an NHL regular IMHO.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hes not a great player but I like him as a #13/14 guy. Hes almost always puts forth a great effort. I think hes good as a #13/14 guy because hes going to push other fringe players if they are coasting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad