Speculation: III. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Miniature American Flags for Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Yeah or his name could be someone else and Nichushkin and Ritchie/Chiasson are the wings on the 2nd line.

There's not one answer to every position.

Ritchie is the best internal option because he's not a puck hound like Benn/Segs. I'm not opposed to them going and finding a winger via trade or FA, I don't expect it though.

Val could slot over and play the LW on that 2nd line, but then who's on the RW crops up.

It's probably going to involve a lot of juggling like usual but they are interesting questions.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I keep seeing people put Chiasson on the LW.....has he ever played LW? I don't remember them ever trying when he was in Texas. Center yes, LW no.

He was not great at center, and it's not uncommon at all for wings to have no issue playing both sides. It could be Nuke ... it could be Ritchie. It could even be Peverley.

They can fill the LW 2nd line spot internally if they choose ... and it doesn't have to be Cole (a RW almost his entire career) unless he won it.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Ritchie is the best internal option because he's not a puck hound like Benn/Segs. I'm not opposed to them going and finding a winger via trade or FA, I don't expect it though.

Val could slot over and play the LW on that 2nd line, but then who's on the RW crops up.

It's probably going to involve a lot of juggling like usual but they are interesting questions.

He's the best option in your opinion (others would argue Val but I'm not getting into that) ... and the key word is internally. We were looking at the very remote possibility Iginla was on the team which would then be extremely debatable Ritchie was still the best option.

I think if they signed/traded for a winger this summer, it likely would involve Richie starting in the AHL unless they also trade Chiasson which is a possibility not a certainty.

bug

Jun 27, 2012
How do we feel about Chiasson + Bystrom + 14th overall for Spezza, Thornton or Kesler?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned this yet. I just got around to watching Nill's draft video.

He just listed Morin as a guy pushing for an NHL job along with Ritchie, McKenzie, and Stransky. Seems like there's legitimate potential for him to push for a 4th line spot.

I'd imagine he'd push Horcoff over to wing if that happened ... reunite Sceviour with Morin. I honestly hope it's Cole down on that wing ... since the alternative is likely in the Top 6. That ... or Ritchie maybe force their hand and potentially change up the 3rd line ... kick Garbutt out to LW and go with Val, Ritchie, Chiasson, and Sceviour in some order on RW.

Their winger depth is fantastic. Not worried at all about that ... without signing anyone.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
How do we feel about Chiasson + Bystrom + 14th overall for Spezza, Thornton or Kesler?

Spezza with a contract maybe.

Thornton not a freaking chance. Huge if you even get on the list, it's going to be a ridiculously short list. SJ wants nothing more than to get him off the team. Those things don't make an over-payment needed. Regardless ... all signs point to Thornton and Marleau being united in telling SJ to go sit and spin.

Kesler hasn't given in on his list yet, and two of the best teams in the league want him. Pretty pointless to hope he'll all of a sudden open up to the idea of coming to Dallas.

bug

Jun 27, 2012
I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned this yet. I just got around to watching Nill's draft video.

He just listed Morin as a guy pushing for an NHL job along with Ritchie, McKenzie, and Stransky. Seems like there's legitimate potential for him to push for a 4th line spot.

I'd imagine he'd push Horcoff over to wing if that happened ... reunite Sceviour with Morin. I honestly hope it's Cole down on that wing ... since the alternative is likely in the Top 6. That ... or Ritchie maybe force their hand and potentially change up the 3rd line ... kick Garbutt out to LW and go with Val, Ritchie, Chiasson, and Sceviour in some order on RW.

Their winger depth is fantastic. Not worried at all about that ... without signing anyone.

If we were to trade for a center, do you think Morin could be tossed in as a potential 3 or 4C for the team who's giving up the center? They would be giving up their top center but gaining most likely Chiasson and Morin who could play right now, then a pick and a prospect. I know he doesn't have much value with his age, but could possibly be interesting toss in.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If we were to trade for a center, do you think Morin could be tossed in as a potential 3 or 4C for the team who's giving up the center? They would be giving up their top center but gaining most likely Chiasson and Morin who could play right now, then a pick and a prospect. I know he doesn't have much value with his age, but could possibly be interesting toss in.

No. I think Morin has zero value. Honestly.

He's 30 years old with no meaningful NHL experience. I'm not sure you'd get a 7th.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So it's possible Chiasson isn't a Star anymore?

It's possible several players aren't, and he's probably more reasonable to assume they'd trade than some.

Nill's said though he's not going to just trade young depth to make a trade. It has to be the right person, right fit. If he's going somewhere, IMO it would be for a big piece only ... a longer term 2nd line center or top defender.

I don't see him going as a package to land a 3 year option in Thornton or a 2 year guy like Kesler. I don't really want Spezza because you cannot agree to a contract with him officially until July 1st. He can change his mind even if he gave a gentleman's agreement to sign immediately on the first.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
It's possible several players aren't, and he's probably more reasonable to assume they'd trade than some.

Nill's said though he's not going to just trade young depth to make a trade. It has to be the right person, right fit. If he's going somewhere, IMO it would be for a big piece only ... a longer term 2nd line center or top defender.

I don't see him going as a package to land a 3 year option in Thornton or a 2 year guy like Kesler. I don't really want Spezza because you cannot agree to a contract with him officially until July 1st. He can change his mind even if he gave a gentleman's agreement to sign immediately on the first.

I agree 100%. I'm more just saying it could be possible.

As for what Nill said, he knows what he is doing and I think we could either be in for a nice big surprise tonight or we just draft at 14th and be happy with whoever we get.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

I didn't know what to make of it because he also listed Stransky, who I don't consider a legitimate NHL option right now in any capacity. I kind of took the Morin comment as somewhat of a carrot dangling for next season.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
So it's possible Chiasson isn't a Star anymore?

Sounds like the Cup is ours, if only we can trade Alex to about 22 teams simultaneously......and get all the return.

I honestly don't know what his value is. A young, struggling (illness, etc.) fw who is sure to be a 20 goal scorer, or just a young fw who could just as easily be a 4th liner?

From Ruff's use of him last year up and down the lineup, what is another team supposed to think, and give up for his "potential" based on his first year's performance? (Or first 1.5 years with the strike season)

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Spezza with a contract? You bet.

I would as well. I know someone will over-dissect this, but my feeling is pretty much if you aren't willing to trade a good prospect at a position with a decent amount of them in the system, a 24 year old rookie'ish winger with questionable top potential, and the 14th pick in this draft you probably just don't like Jason Spezza as a player.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I didn't know what to make of it because he also listed Stransky, who I don't consider a legitimate NHL option right now in any capacity. I kind of took the Morin comment as somewhat of a carrot dangling for next season.

If you think about it though ... he sort of easily could end up in the lineup.

Dallas has been relatively healthy the last couple of years. Say they do nothing on wing ... which IMO is extremely likely.

Peverley is an unknown, Cole and Horcoff are older and injuries cold catch up to them .... you could easily go into next season with say ...

Benn-Seguin-Ritchie
Chiasson-New Center-Nichushkin
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Cole-Horcoff-Sceviour
Glennie

One injury to a winger ... you've got Glennie ... two ... you've got McKenzie. A third ... now you're really going to have to consider Stransky. You sign Mueller ... probably pushes him back a spot. You maybe choose to call up Morin and kick Horcoff out to wing ... that could push him back as well.

I'd say Stransky also has a better chance of making significant improvements to his game this off-season than say Glennie, Mueller, or Morin. I almost want to include McKenzie because his game is pretty complete. A bit more speed won't make him miles better, but a better shot would.

Stransky on the other hand has the hands, the shot, the IQ ... he needs the skating. If he takes a big step forward ... like he already did this season ... you've got a guy that goes from good to great at the AHL level in the summer and potentially jumps several players on the depth chart for and NHL call up.

Right now he could be behind three or four guys in our mind, but after camp he could be the number one call up option or two right behind McKenzie.

I don't think Nill just randomly threw his name out. He's some hard work on his skating away from potentially breaking into the NHL. I can't believe the progress he made during the season from October to now. The summer could be huge.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I know this was discussed last summer when people thought Richards would be bought out, but what if the Stars could deal for Lecavalier on the cheap side, then sign Richards and have the two of them playing together on the second line?

Both of them would likely consider it as they wanted to play together and Richards could play a wing. They're both making money from their past deals, too, so they wouldn't break the bank, and at their ages, with the right chemistry, they could still be effective. It would provide a nice little stop gap until some of the prospects are fully ready, it would presumably spread the checking burden from Seguin and Benn, and leave the Stars with enough assets that they might be able to improve the blue line.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I don't think Nill just randomly threw his name out. He's some hard work on his skating away from potentially breaking into the NHL. I can't believe the progress he made during the season from October to now. The summer could be huge.

I don't think he randomly threw his name out there either. That doesn't mean I think he thinks Stransky is actually a viable NHL player right now, and when I say "NHL player" that means a full timer, not just 4th down the list in case of injuries. To me, it goes without saying that he would get in a few games if we had major injury concerns. I think he mentioned Stransky for much the same reason he mentioned Morin, which is to give both hope and something to strive for over the summer, as well as possibly sway Morin away from leaving for Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad