Speculation: III. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Miniature American Flags for Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
On my phone so no link .... Ovechkin just posted love my brother Garbo with a pic on Twitter.

Rumors already out there that he might re-sign with Caps. Sounds like we know how Ovie would feel about that.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Mr Misty said:
I don't think he is going to be less expensive than any of the centers out there except Statsny. If you could get all three on the same contract, I'd take Grabovski and Legwand over Richards and I'd offer a longer term if I had to for those two because they have a longer shelf life IMO.

He'll sign for less than five million if he comes here. No other legitimate 2C options will get that less. I don't understand the infatuation with Grabo on these boards. He's a player you sign 5x5.5 mil and then realize you're paying a guy that much to score 30 points a year when he doesn't "gel" with your system. No thanks. And Legwand? Why in the world would you want him as our 2C? We want someone who is an improvement on Eakin. Legwand would be nice in a 3C role.

Richards is the best option if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg in FA or trade. I don't think it matters he's not the 90 point player he was when he left. He's still a solid 2C we can have for no pain.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I would imagine that Washington would like to keep Grabovski. Going to be very interesting where some of these guys end up.

Everyone here knows my love affair with the 4 near NHL ready kids but I have to say if Thornton is on the table he's very much a 1B scenario. Dallas arguably cannot do better as far as production goes in the next 3 years than he would provide. I truly hope Nill is kicking his tires.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If the rumored deal is real .... and Thornton would come here ... you can't really say no.

Jokipakka, Guptill, and a pick is a no brainer.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
He'll sign for less than five million if he comes here. No other legitimate 2C options will get that less. I don't understand the infatuation with Grabo on these boards. He's a player you sign 5x5.5 mil and then realize you're paying a guy that much to score 30 points a year when he doesn't "gel" with your system. No thanks. And Legwand? Why in the world would you want him as our 2C? We want someone who is an improvement on Eakin. Legwand would be nice in a 3C role.

Richards is the best option if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg in FA or trade. I don't think it matters he's not the 90 point player he was when he left. He's still a solid 2C we can have for no pain.

Why do you think he'll get less than 5m? Lecavalier got bought out and cashed in instead of taking a discount and I don't think Richards would be any different.

I think having some defensive ability is better than getting an offense only guy, in theory as your younger centers surpass Legwand or Grabovski they can move down the lineup and still be effective in a less offensive role.

I can't tell you that any of these guys will be better for sure than Eakin next season, but with Ribeiro and Lecavalier as examples both in skill decline and cap hit I certainly would rather have a well rounded center than an offense only one.

Bradyyy93

Jun 14, 2014
If the rumored deal is real .... and Thornton would come here ... you can't really say no.

Jokipakka, Guptill, and a pick is a no brainer.

Thats way too good to be true.. With that deal we have more then enough trade bait to pick up that dman without giving up any of the prime assets ie: Dickenson, Shore, Oleksiak etc

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I would love if Dallas won a cup with Seguin and Thorton as our 1A 1B Centers he would add size down the middle, he wouldn't have to carry the team or lead, I do think Chiasson would return to of Nazareth status with passes Thorton would be feeding him. If you can get him for that price he would be at the top of my wish list with Stransky

Bradyyy93

Jun 14, 2014
I would love if Dallas won a cup with Seguin and Thorton as our 1A 1B Centers he would add size down the middle, he wouldn't have to carry the team or lead, I do think Chiasson would return to of Nazareth status with passes Thorton would be feeding him. If you can get him for that price he would be at the top of my wish list with Stransky

If we won the cup with those 2 centers Boston would cease to exist

Primetimey*

Why are we thinking Joe Thornton will be so cheap?

At the very least I think he is worth a 1st rounder and a good prospect.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Even tho it was reported that the price is LHD + propect + pick, I don't think you can get him for the package above. I think it's going to either be:
Daley + F prospect + pick or
D prospect + Chiasson + pick

The pick being 2nd/3rd depending on the prospect.
[maybe two prospects would work if they are very good ones, along with the 1st...]

MetalGodAOD*

Yea the value is going to have to rise somewhere. If it's on LHD it's going to be Daley. If it's on prospect its going to be a no go for us. That's why I'd be ok giving up our 1st this year in a package for him.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't know who the heck the guy is from the other thread, but it lines up with media reports that SJ won't get an NHL asset in return. I posted that claim from a local SJ reporter. He is on of many local and national reporters all saying his return will likely be low. Glove pointed out in the video from my link the GM alludes to that as well .... One step back to go two steps forward.

This idea that it's a LD, prospect, and pick is some HF poster.

If Dallas gives up a valuable NHL asset ... They've probably made a mistake. Almost no mainstream media is reporting anything other than futures which lines up with a nearly $7 million player and a full NMC.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Yeah a big key here would be the Stars taking the entire contract with SJ retaining nothing. 3 years is really the perfect term too.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Seriously Thornton for Jokipakka, Guptill and our 2nd? I mean yeah his contract isn't cheap but Thornton has never scored less than 68 points in a full NHL season since 2001-2002.

I'll chip in $100 to the build a statue of Nill if a deal even remotely like that gets us Joe Thornton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad