Speculation: III. 2014 Stars Offseason Thread: Miniature American Flags for Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Honestly the Thornton talk is going to make the wait till the draft bearable. I don't think we're tops on his list but it sure would be nice to see Nill sell this club to him.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Normally I don't shoot my mouth off on things i hear and I would prefer not to say where i heard but I reached out to one of your mods so if my posts are deleted you will know I don't pass the test. ;)

Sorry for what I said earlier then. Seemed very random at first. :)

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Honestly the Thornton talk is going to make the wait till the draft bearable. I don't think we're tops on his list but it sure would be nice to see Nill sell this club to him.

I wouldn't think so either. Thinking about hearing how he loves it in San Jose, Nill wouldn't just have to sell the club but also the area. Or maybe just the area. Hell if that's the case, just send in Seguin. Or at the very least just show him his instagram.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'm going to try to approach the Thornton situation a little more logically.

If the Sharks have made the decision to trade him, that means they're going to be building around a core of Hertl/Couture/Nieto. Players 25 and under. I think right there you throw out anyone over that age as part of a theoretical package. I don't think they'd ask for Daley or Goligoski in the first place.

That said, they're going to want at least 1 of the pieces they get in return to play in the NHL next season to be able to show something to their fans immediately. That leaves 2 LHD candidates with enough appeal: Dillon and Nemeth. I think they'll ask for Dillon initially, get rebuffed, and settle on Nemeth.

Now the forward prospect component. Ritchie is a no-go for starters. This is pretty difficult to pin down but it does make a certain amount of sense that they might want a center to groom for the future. And if Dallas is acquiring Thornton with the plan of Seguin-Thornton-Eakin down the middle then one of Faksa/Dickinson/Shore could be on the table. Which would the Sharks prefer? Maybe they liked both Faksa and Hertl from that draft. I think they've tended to gravitate toward the NCAA in the past, maybe they're high on Shore. Either way you're going to be giving up a "full speed ahead" prospect where everything is looking peachy in their development, not the Guptill's of the world.

And then probably a 2nd round pick to round things out, 14 is too high considering the quality of the rest of the package.

So if it's Nemeth + Faksa/Dickinson/Shore + 2nd are we still onboard?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Personally, I think management really likes Nemeth and would be open to trading the pricier Dillon and keeping Nemeth. Building the D-corps around both (in a vacuum) is obviously best, but I think there's a chance they think Nemeth will be as good as or better than Dillon in as little as one season. I would trade Dillon over Nemeth and then add a lesser prospect due to Dillon being a more sure thing. I don't think Shore will be included in any deal, and I actually think he might not end up being a center in the NHL, but rather a winger/tweener, thereby not making him trade bait because of a full center position.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This. Thats exactly what im worried about. That's just too much to give up, to me.

Thing is, Thornton is only on the hook for three more years. Stastny will get that kind of money for 7 years. Just offering up counterpoints. Stastny would be my first choice but looking at it realistically, we have a better shot at landing a guy in trade than outbidding and outselling our city/chances to the bell of the ball.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I sure wish ROR's value wasn't so inflated. He'd be the perfect fit for our team.

An Avs fan posted that he wondered if ROR + 23rd would get Hjalmarsson + Sharp... lol

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, this sounds too fantastic to be true, but Thornton seems like a great option. Age 34, yes, but no decline in PPG over all these years, played 82 games last year, etc.

I would imagine the Stars would be less likely to part with players the fans know so I would bet it would be Nemeth and Shore, since Shore wasn't a first round draft pick and most fans don't know him as well.

I take Nil at his word that he is finding a second line center. Having a former no. 1 pick behind your former No. 2 pick would be unbelievable talent.

Of course, all my opinion, and all predicated on the rumor being true. We're entitled - its rumor season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad