IIHF World Championships - Division IIIB

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
DPRK has no business losing this, but they looked awful today. Like they haven't played much competitive hockey recently.

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
This tournament has started today. Participants are:

North Korea
Iran
Singapore
Hong Kong
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Philippines

In the first match, North Korea defeated Hong Kong by a score of 10 - 8. Apparently defense and goaltending were optional.

:cheers:

Bosnia are whole good also in hockey.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
That's some pretty bad streaming quality. For a moment I thought the zamboni broke down.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This tournament has started today. Participants are:

North Korea
Iran
Singapore
Hong Kong
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Philippines

In the first match, North Korea defeated Hong Kong by a score of 10 - 8. Apparently defense and goaltending were optional.
I am amazed by North Korea... go years without playing... have no infrastructure to speak of and then boom!!! They turn up to play and aren't awful.

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
I am amazed by North Korea... go years without playing... have no infrastructure to speak of and then boom!!! They turn up to play and aren't awful.
They have as many indoor rinks as Luxembourg has, more than in Singapore and just couple less than in Iran, Turkmenistan and some other countries. They had the unified female team with South Korea at the Olympics. Just because you have no idea does not mean it doesn't exist.

Reactions: Summer Rose

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
They have as many indoor rinks as Luxembourg has, more than in Singapore and just couple less than in Iran, Turkmenistan and some other countries. They had the unified female team with South Korea at the Olympics. Just because you have no idea does not mean it doesn't exist.
Thank you PAN.. It was actually a compliment but let me rephrase: With all this infrastructure they have, they should be doing a hell of a lot better than giving up 8 to a Hong Kong team that would lose to my over 35 beer league team. And we play in the B division of the league, not the top level.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
This Iranian team is getting absolutely caved by the Filipino powerplay.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Rinks are cute when you have no sticks to play on them. The fact they had a joint Olympic women's team really says more about the state of women's hockey than anything else.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Have to believe Philippines will get a boost from it's emigrant community. A cursory look at their roster on Eliteprospects suggests that's the case already, and I'm sure they can attract some more players to come and spend a few years playing there as word of the team gets out.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Have to believe Philippines will get a boost from it's emigrant community. A cursory look at their roster on Eliteprospects suggests that's the case already, and I'm sure they can attract some more players to come and spend a few years playing there as word of the team gets out.
If this was 25 years ago - i'd have done it..

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Hey. I was musing about how this event would have probably made more sense to be organised in Asia and remembered about the closed down (and now bulldozed, I believe) JCube in Singapore.

From what I gathered after a quick search is 1) Kallang Ice World, the only permanent rink left in the city-state, is too small (can't find the actual measurements though), 2) the local hockey community trains in Johor Bahru, right across the border with Malaysia and 3) there doesn't seem to be any new rink project at the moment.

So, if I got it right, I guess Singapore is on the verge of losing its WC status.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yes, that's the biggest rink in Singapore currently, better than nothing if available for training purposes, but evidently far below the IIHF minimum:

63bfcf92d9206.jpg

The Malaysian rink in Johor is almost wide enough, but too short to comply with IIHF regulations either:

Paradigm-Mall-Johor-Bahru-Ice-Rink-AspirantSG.jpg

Reactions: Bijelo

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Well, unless we're in 1964, the rink in Johor wouldn't be much of help anyway to Singapore.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00