IIHF World Championship

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
NEW VERSION:

Kazakhstan’s miracle run to the quarterfinals is in a bit of danger with their regulation loss to Norway today.

The tie-breaking system for two teams with the same number of points in a standing will be the game between the two teams, the winner of the game taking precedence.

You get 3 points for winning in regulation, one point for making to OT, 2 point for winning in OT.

The three teams behind them have 9 points and one game left: Germany, Canada and Latvia.

Kazakhstan has beaten Latvia & Germany, lost to Canada
Germany beat Canada, lost to Kazakhstan
Canada beat Kazakhstan, lost to Latvia and Germany
Latvia beat Canada, lost to Kazakhstan

So, Canada only needs one point to jump ahead of Kazakhstan and even a OT loss will do that.

Canada needs one more point than Latvia and Germany to get ahead of them so either a regulation win by either of those team plus at least a OT Canadian loss OR any kind of Canadian win if the Germany vs Latvia game goes to OT.

I’m torn about Canada’s fate because usually I would love them missing for the LOLs but I would like Power to get more games. It’s tough to root against a random country that never gets like in Kazakhstan though.

Everyone should be rooting for Latvia tomorrow though, it’s the underdog, the hockey crazy host country and this is a completely objective opinion in no way influenced by me being half Latvian.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Sweden was so afraid to lose while Russia didn't really care
And I deleted the last post now that I know the tie breaker after points is the head-to-head games.

So Sweden and Czech Republic are tied in points but the Czechs beat Sweden already so that’s the end of that.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Interesting watching USA game against Germany and the goalie Felix Brueckmann. First saw him play at an international camp when he was fifteen (on a team that also had some kid named Hedman).

He's now 30 but had great numbers in the DEL the past two years.

Can't help thinking he would be a great bridge backup/AHL goalie until Daws or some of the other young prospects are ready.

Nemo4

Jan 28, 2010
I guess he hasn't done much then :laugh:
Yea, he's playing well but no points to show for it. He draws penalties, generates a lot of chances either for his teammates or for himself but the team has no ability to finish whatsoever. I like to believe that he is saving his points for the playoffs :laugh: With his inability to score while doing all of the other things right, he seems like a prototype Devils' player to me :sarcasm:

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Any interest in the defenseman Tony Sund?

Obviously, the NHL game is heavier and played in tighter, confined areas. But a tall, strong skater with play making instincts and the ability to make up space is intriguing and could complement what the Devils have now.

Reactions: aboriginal

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

Obviously, the NHL game is heavier and played in tighter, confined areas. But a tall, strong skater with play making instincts and the ability to make up space is intriguing and could complement what the Devils have now.

f*** yes. He’s on the sharks and unsigned it said, so I mean....we should prob grab him at the same time we trade for meier. Vittu it has to happen. The swiss bromance is real. Plus I mean we need more finns on the team.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

The Sharks signed to a one year ELC in 2019-20 and Cap Friendly has them controlling his team rights until his 27th birthday. He’s 25.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Germany beats Swiss. Nico makes it through the tournament apparently uninjured.

If Russia beats Canada in the Quarters this afternoon, I believe that means the US plays Germany in the Semis.

Reactions: Darkauron

13BearerOfHope

Hoppsassa Gügüü
Oct 12, 2019
Germany beats Swiss. Nico makes it through the tournament apparently uninjured.

If Russia beats Canada in the Quarters this afternoon, I believe that means the US plays Germany in the Semis.
Swiss paper “Blick” gave Nico a “C” (barely pass) grade and Siegenthaler a C- or D (insufficient) as a grade for the tournament as a whole. There were other players which got A- and B grades, so not even in this team our two Devils could stand out. I saw Nico in plenty games, he was good, but he was not a star. Siegenthaler was bad…

wait…can you hear that? It’s the sound of a remote alarm bell… guys need a real good Summer!

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Swiss paper “Blick” gave Nico a “C” (barely pass) grade and Siegenthaler a C- or D (insufficient) as a grade for the tournament as a whole. There were other players which got A- and B grades, so not even in this team our two Devils could stand out. I saw Nico in plenty games, he was good, but he was not a star. Siegenthaler was bad…

wait…can you hear that? It’s the sound of a remote alarm bell… guys need a real good Summer!

Hard to agree. Nico given the physical issues was pretty much a wash.

Siegenthaler, for entering a system that was far different than the one he played, had some rough patches, but was hardly "bad". The physical presence he provided in his own end was an improvement over some of the other lower pairing guys and in his brief tenure he blocked more shots than some of the Devils who were with the team all season.

Can't help thinking that with a full off season and training camp under Lindy Ruff and the rest of the Devils' staff both will have bounce back seasons.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Who cares how they played in the tournament. It’s a BS tournament for NHLers. The only thing that matters is if they get out of it healthy.

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Who cares how they played in the tournament. It’s a BS tournament for NHLers. The only thing that matters is if they get out of it healthy.

I think it would have been good for Nico to show more oomph than he apparently did. That said he’s probably not in very good shape and in one game he had a minor injury so who knows what he felt like. He really needs a full summer of rehab and training.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think it would have been good for Nico to show more oomph than he apparently did. That said he’s probably not in very good shape and in one game he had a minor injury so who knows what he felt like. He really needs a full summer of rehab and training.
I’ll take 6 pts in 8 games from him while being FAR from 100% healthy and 100% in shape.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm happy to see Boyler still playing, even if it's just in this tournament. Hope he's back in the league next year. Miss him here in NJ a ton.

Why on earth didn’t he catch on with a team this year if he still wants to play? Maybe he had an unofficial COVID opt out? He hasn’t played in the NHL since the pandemic other than the mini playoff in the bubble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad