IIHF World Championship

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
He has a personal vendetta against Bratt for some reason. I think he's the one who thought we should leave him unprotected, but doubted Seattle would take him cause he sucks so much.

I thought it was because he expects McLeod and Bastian to become the next Getzlaf and Perry and must be protected.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I thought it was because he expects McLeod and Bastian to become the next Getzlaf and Perry and must be protected.
You don’t think they will be? I was thinking the next Mcdavid(McLeod) and the next Ovechkin(Bastian) but I might be hoping for just a little bit too much.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Thank you for the man 'splaining. No where did I use the word "suck".

I have the same " vendetta" that every one of his head coaches has had to this point. It's fairly useless to have a skill package if your either unwilling or unable to use those skills to win hockey games.

With the type of game the Devils are playing he is neither consistently enough scoring-wise nor combative enough to occupy a top role.

After 230 games the body of work is big enough to make a fairly informed decision.

Are you a Drake Batherson fan by chance?:sarcasm:

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

Speaking of which, there was universal criticism on here last spring when I mentioned that both of those players would merit protection. Now, both are seen as key pieces moving forward. So there is that.

Was also criticized for not wanting to protect Vatanen - though admittedly Josh Jacobs did not take the step I thought he would (however, the Devils did not yet acquire Kulikov nor Murray at the time of that post).

To expect the Devils to improve without adding better players seems a reach.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Speaking of which, there was universal criticism on here last spring when I mentioned that both of those players would merit protection. Now, both are seen as key pieces moving forward. So there is that.

Was also criticized for not wanting to protect Vatanen - though admittedly Josh Jacobs did not take the step I thought he would (however, the Devils did not yet acquire Kulikov nor Murray at the time of that post).

I can’t recall anyone saying that either McLeod or Bastian are “key” players as I would understand that term. Both are seemingly good fourth line guys. Both offer something above replacement as I see it but their impact won’t be as useful as their salaries rise. I like both players but I think you are overselling them. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: FinnishDevil

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Nico is still as shifty as ever, which plays more to his style. Think Pavel Datsyuk, who he's drawn comparisons to, and also models his game after. Won't beat you off sheer speed when he has the puck, but will create room for himself with shiftiness along the perimeter and low in the zone. I think he is fast off the puck, but when he has the puck he's trying to be in more control. Last year, live at the games, I was blown away by Nico's speed up-ice when the defense was regrouping/breaking out. It's something you really can't see on TV, unless it results in a goal, since the camera follows the puck.

Despite a few key misses this year, Nico is the best finisher on the team in the area below the hashmarks, which is why it makes sense for him to play a net front role. He can deflect the puck better than anyone, and gets his snapshots up-high in a hurry.

Production issues way overblown.
1st return: First three games pointless, then 3 points in the next 2 GP before injury.
2nd return: First three games pointless, then 8 points in 13 games.

I am by no means worried about him.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

It was certainly not universal. There were 5 guys fighting over 3 protection spots and while Merkley had the edge, none of the players were counted out.

Interestingly, Sharangovich was the guy nobody had in for protection and he performed the best out of all of them.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Anyone watch USA vs Norway this morning? Hellickson with 18+ minutes of ice time and +1. If he doesn't receive an ELC it would be interesting to see if he is signed to a two-way AHL deal if he doesn't get an NHL offer from another team.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
It was certainly not universal. There were 5 guys fighting over 3 protection spots and while Merkley had the edge, none of the players were counted out.

Interestingly, Sharangovich was the guy nobody had in for protection and he performed the best out of all of them.

Honestly, I wouldn't have seen Sharangovich either at that point. Though I did have high expectations for Kuokkanen, who seemed blocked behind some of the guys in Carolina.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Watching the fin-germany game over here and it’s a pretty decent one. Boring when you think of the score but I like how these teams square up with each other.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Didn’t watch the game but Nico had 1 assist, 5 shots and was plus 1 in a 6-0 win against Belarus. He also led the forwards in ice-time again with 18:47. The only player who had more was Siegenthaler. Meier only played 13:09 but was plus 3 and had 2 assists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad