OT: II. Tommy G's Steak and Chop House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Boardwalk Empire reigns supreme over every show ever.

Attempting to get through season 1 of Breaking Bad. It's a bit difficult, but I've seen a future episode so I know it'll get better.

Also, Weeds is a damn good show.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Go for it and list a couple shows. Don't say Mad Men though.

Just going to list some favorites...sorry dude, I consider Mad Men a better show than Breaking Bad. I noticed your criticism of it but that's not an issue for me. I like the characters/development and have never had an issue with era pieces.

Sons of Anarchy
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
The Walking Dead

Peep Show
South Park
The Office (US)
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny
The League
Parks and Rec
Summer Heights High
Da Ali G Show
Party Down

Although I do enjoy the show, I have some issues with Breaking Bad, issues I won't bring up because I don't want to bias/ruin someone's viewing of the show. I will say that I wanted to strangle Skyler throughout most of seaso...the series.

Last edited:

Brand New Stars

Just find them boring. Like I can tell Mad Men has fantastic acting, but it just doesn't interest me.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Boring because the characters wear 1920's garb? To each their own, I just don't see how it plays into it at all, except possibly if you can't get past what characters are wearing. What is your cut off? Would a show set in the 90's be recent enough?

Btw, I'm not trying to be accusatory, I'm really interested to know why. Whether or something is a period piece never enters into my inner discussion so I'm curious how it could make something a no-go zone for someone else.

Last edited:

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Btw, I'm not trying to be accusatory, I'm really interested to know why. Whether or something is a period piece never enters into my inner discussion so I'm curious how it could make something a no-go zone for someone else.
If a show doesn't have the outside possibility of the reanimated corpse of Ronald Reagan fighting aliens, I'm not interested.

Brand New Stars

I'd say it has more to do with the style of dialogue rather than appearances.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I just didn't connect with Boardwalk Empire the way I did with other shows. Its not a bad show, just not my cup of tea.

Brand New Stars

Ahh I see. Does this guide your literary preferences as well?

As a college student, I don't read for enjoyment very much. To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my favorites though and that's old so idk...

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I just didn't connect with Boardwalk Empire the way I did with other shows. Its not a bad show, just not my cup of tea.

I can respect that. I didn't connect with the themes until about midway through season 1, but once I did I connected with it pretty strongly.

As a college student, I don't read for enjoyment very much. To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my favorites though and that's old so idk...

There's a lot of great film and literature created in and about bygone eras so here's to hoping.

Brand New Stars

Just wondering, if you didn't connect with something then why did you continue to watch it to where you got halfway through the first season? Just based on the reputation of the show so you kept with it?

Ampersand

Alison Brie is a fox.

I am a fan of the show. Donald Glover is awesome.

Pretty well the 2 best reasons to watch the show right there. Glover's earlier work with the Derrick Comedy group was my first taste of him, and he has certainly got even better.

Should be free of expletives

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Just wondering, if you didn't connect with something then why did you continue to watch it to where you got halfway through the first season? Just based on the reputation of the show so you kept with it?

I watched it when it came out and there really wasn't much of a reputation at the time, just a strong cast, HBO, and Martin Scorsese's name.

To answer your question specifically, I studied film and television. There are some things that look terrible and I can't give it a very objective first viewing but there are quite a few things that look to be somewhere between good and great; the great ones are part of what I enjoy about life and so I seek them out. I also realize that the length of time it takes for a person to connect with a setting, character, storyline varies person to person and show to show. I thought enough work went into making Boardwalk Empire that I ultimately gave them the benefit of the doubt and kept watching. I was rewarded in this case; that doesn't always happen. If I hadn't been kindly pressured into watching Breaking Bad by friends I actually probably would not have continued past season 1.

The main thing is that I really like the format of televsion; it's different from film in that it allows itself a longer amount of time to tell the same story (differently) that a film could. I don't really consider committing to one season of a show as all that much of an investment to be honest.

Brand New Stars

Well I guess the fact that you don't consider it an investment would be the difference then. I don't watch a ton of tv shows and I really have to be hooked to keep watching (especially an hour show). A show like Mad Men seems to need time to develop it's story while Breaking Bad jumped right into it and I just couldn't stop watching.

Brand New Stars

I've been meaning to try that out as well so I definitely will.

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
very excited about the Olympics in a week. I hope we don't nobody shuster's it this set of games (obscure reference that probably nobody will get)

We should start another thread for the games when they come around.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I haven't even heard of most of those shows, much less watched them. :help:

Anyways, back from camp if anyone cares. Got to skate with Trevor Daley: holy **** he's so fast. Took him maybe 5 or 6 strides to go the whole length of the ice backwards. And he's such an incredible person off the ice as well, just a great great guy. My new favorite defenseman and obvious choice for next captain.

Oh, and probably the coolest thing I've ever done there was yesterday when I played on a line with Stefan Noeson in a scrimmage. SOOOOOO amazingly good, and he has one helluva slapper. Took it from one goal line, hit the netting on the other end and was still going up. It probably would've gone a good 600-700 feet if possible. And I never realized he actually played in Dallas for quite a while either.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
People say the Wire is the best show of all times, but I like Six Feet Under more. All of those dramas I listed are excellent though. Also, if you do appreciate Breaking Bad but don't appreciate Mad Men, I would recommend Dexter to you.

I tried really hard to get into the wire. I really did, watched almost an entire season. It just doesn't draw me in at all. Boardwalk Empire doesn't do it for me either, but I might need to sit down and watch more than an episode or two. I like the cast.

I'm kind of a TV comedy addict, although I really hate the Office. I just don't find it funny in the least. My favorite comedy seems to shift year to year, I would say this year it was Parks and Recreation and The League. Both shows were so good. I thought Community's season was very very hit or miss. There would be a few really funny episodes, and then episodes that were just weird and not funny. Still a show I really like overall, though. 99% chance of it getting ****canned soon anyway.

Oh yeah, and to borrow a lounge adage, thinly veiled brag about being able to ice skate. :sarcasm:

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
The correct answer to best tv com goes to
sterling-archer-picture_200x221.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad