If you were GOD which team would u eliminate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The way things are looking, I'd expect some relocation*s* before any contractions.

Des Moines is getting an AHL team next year (NHL Dallas affiliate), and Kansas City is trying to get a NHL (or NBA or...) team for a new arena.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Penguins move to Kansas City when their current lease runs out in 2007 (after all, they've got the oldest arena in the league and the locals ran out of $$ after financing new football and baseball stadiums). The "get the Pens a new arena or else" deadline was about fourteen months ago.

And there's a supposed buyer for the Ducks around, so may be that team'll be the first to move? Aren't the Canucks for sale?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
guitaraholic said:
As God I hereby render the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim null and void. Let their assets be spread far and wide across the league, in a mighty dispersal draft. And on the 7th day I'm gonna chill.
Amen.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Vishinator05 said:
Chicago played to 64.7% capacity drawing 13,253/game but no one is crying for them to be contracted, why is that?

When you consider how bad the team is, how poorly it is run, its length of underperformance, lack of stars, cheapness of ownership and the FACT TICKET PRICES ARE $50 (top 8) then 64.7% is a phenominal effort. I take my hat off to the Chicago fans. :bow:

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Hootchie Cootchie said:
Edmonton's metro must have passed the million mark by now, in 2003 it was listed at 990,500 and it's growing fast. Inside the actual borders it's just under 700,000 I think.

There was just an artical in a local Edm paper the other day describing about how we're so close to breaking the million mark, but not quite there yet. Our mayor seems to think that being able to boast over a million population is some huge coup in international marketing

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Were I the Almighty, here's the things I would do:
1) Force Calgary to change their name, lest I rain down fire and brimstone onto the Saddledome and curse Iginla with shingles or somesuch. The "Flames" name has no historical link to Calgary. Thus, under fear of Kipper being turned into a pillar of salt, Calgary would surrender their name to Atlanta.

2) Create a new arena for God's favorite team, the Pittsburgh Penguins and bless His angel, St. Mario with eternal youth.

3) Get it through the thick skulls of My Canadian creations that the NHL chose Raleigh as the site for the Hurricanes for a number of reasons. Population patterns in the United States are changing such that individuals who lived in the North are moving to the South for a multitude of reasons. One of the centers of that migration is the Research Triangle region. On paper it seemed like a good idea. No other major league team, only one other professional sports team (the International League Durham Bulls), and located in a region that had been "prepped" for NHL-level hockey thanks to the ECHL. What's gone wrong? The talent has been there and the team hasn't been marketed heavily enough. Oh, and I would make sure they understood that Southerners can relate to ice. Many cities in the South have rinks.

4) Smite Bettman, install Gretzky as commissioner.

5) *Cracks knuckles* Contraction time. First, we must reject nostalgia for the original six or the Canadian teams. If they aren't performing, the League can't afford to carry their burden. So, that being said
-Blackhawks
-Islanders
-Oilers
-Mighty Ducks

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
garnetpalmetto said:
5) *Cracks knuckles* Contraction time. First, we must reject nostalgia for the original six or the Canadian teams. If they aren't performing, the League can't afford to carry their burden. So, that being said
-Blackhawks
-Islanders
-Oilers
-Mighty Ducks

Hmmm. No.

Chicago is an excellent market and an excellent asset to the NHL. The Hawks are there to stay.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Take Columbus off your list and replace it with Anaheim or Atlanta. Columbus is a decent Midwest market where hockey isn't so out of place. The fan support is good, the Jackets are the only major pro team in town, and Ohio has had college and minor league teams for decades. The 2005 NCAA Frozen Four is being held in Columbus. The Mighty Ducks, initially, were a hit, but frankly I think Southern California should belong to the Kings.

Kravitch

The only reason why people put Columbus on the list is because nobody was very familiar with the city before hockey came there. I'm sure they wouldn't be talking trash about the Jackets if they played in Cleveland or Cincinnati.

NucksOnly

Go Whitecaps & Lions
Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver
If I was god...

1) I would destory Bettman because he's ruining hockey and install a good ole Canadian boy for the new commish of the NHL!

2) Smack goodnow upside the head because he's part of the problem as well and because it would be fun!

3) I would remove Anahiem, Atlanta, Florida, Carolina, and Nashville then I would bring back the Jets, and Nords

4)I would banish the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks, Swarts(sp?) cause no hockey fan should go through what they have gone through under his regime...

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
FallenSouljah said:
1) I would destory Bettman because he's ruining hockey and install a good ole Canadian boy for the new commish of the NHL!

2) Smack goodnow upside the head because he's part of the problem as well and because it would be fun!

3) I would remove Anahiem, Atlanta, Florida, Carolina, and Nashville then I would bring back the Jets, and Nords

4)I would banish the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks, Swarts(sp?) cause no hockey fan should go through what they have gone through under his regime...

From a hockey lover in the Northeast, A-F&*%ING-MEN!!! :bow:

www.freethehawks.com

jacketracket*

Terrier said:
The fan support is good, the Jackets are the only major pro team in town, and Ohio has had college and minor league teams for decades. The 2005 NCAA Frozen Four is being held in Columbus.
It's gonna be sweet!

jacketracket*

Kravitch said:
The only reason why people put Columbus on the list is because nobody was very familiar with the city before hockey came there. I'm sure they wouldn't be talking trash about the Jackets if they played in Cleveland or Cincinnati.
Good point.

I also think Columbus gets mentioned alot simply because the team hasn't really been anything to write home about, yet. Had the CBJ made any kind of playoff push, even if only into January, I doubt many would suggest contracting the Jackets. Unfortunately, some people do nothing more than look at the league standings before pointing at Columbus.

17,500 to watch a last-place team, night-in and night-out. Nationwide is going to explode when the CBJ make the playoffs.

YellHockey*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Hmmm. No.

Chicago is an excellent market and an excellent asset to the NHL. The Hawks are there to stay.

Actually, I'd eliminate them and then award the city an expansion franchise (also called the Blackhawks) to anyone except Bill Wirtz.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Why is Edmonton constantly being mentioned? Their attendance was close to 100% capacity and yet they are constantly being mentioned. I'm really getting fed up with Edmonton constantly being bashed. Why aren't the southern being mentioned as much as Edmonton. No Canadian teams will be contracted.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Hemsky83 said:
Why is Edmonton constantly being mentioned? Their attendance was close to 100% capacity and yet they are constantly being mentioned. I'm really getting fed up with Edmonton constantly being bashed. Why aren't the southern being mentioned as much as Edmonton. No Canadian teams will be contracted.

because attendance doesn't mean jack if you're not making money?

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I also don't think that contraction will cure the financial ills of the NHL, nor will it make the game more entertaining. In retrospect, the league did overexpand in the '90s, but we don't remember how POPULAR hockey was in the U.S. from the mid-80s to about the late-90s. In terms of contraction, I don't think I would want to rob any NHL fan of their team. I would consider moving Carolina and Florida to markets in which they had a better chance to do well. Carolina Hurricanes become Kansas City Cyclones (actually, we should play a game of name the franchise; it's always fun), and Winnipeg gets back the Panthers, who would have to move over 3000 miles. They could rename them the Jets if they wanted, keep the Panthers name, or come up with something else entirely. Suggestions?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
garnetpalmetto said:
Then why are the Hawks getting outdrawn by the AHL Wolves?

That doesn't indicate in the least that Chicago is a bad market. If anything, it strengthens the point that this is a solid market.

You're confusing team assessment with market assessment. Don't go in business unless you can make the difference.

Also, I would not take this particular indicator you mentioned as the ultimate sign that the team (not the market) is in trouble either. There is no indication that ownership is seriously considering any drastic measures like leaving. My guess is that they are happier than they let us believe. They do some complaining. They bark but they don't bite.

The bottom line is, Chicago is a kickass hockey market. It's not about to disappear anytime soon.

se7en*

Hemsky83 said:

The Southern fans balk at the idea that their team should be contracted, so they strike at Canadian teams. Edmonton comes up often because it's the least-valued franchise - and of course because they don't know any better. Pay them no heed - their cities have no hope in hell of ever becoming a third of a hockeytown our city is, and they know it.

The fact still remains that Edmonton profited last year. Not a large profit by any means, but a small-market profiting with no playoffs is somewhat remarkable. :yo:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I really hate the "they have a crappy name" argument for contracting Anaheim. The bad market one I can live with, even though it would be a decent market if Disney didn't ruin everything, but when has a team ever been contracted because of it's name?

It's not like the Mighty Ducks are the only sports team with a crappy name. Hell, most of the original six have names that aren't the greatest, but because they've been around for a long time, and have history behind them, they're great names.

And it's not like being original is easy. In the time I've watched sports, I've seen two teams named the Kings, two named the Rangers, two named the Panthers, two named the Lions, 5 with native american references(six if you include Warriors), two teams in the same league named the Roughriders, a team in that same league with no name, and a whole lot of names that it looks like they came up with in an hour.

Hey, I'd like it if the Mighty Ducks just became the Ducks, but with Disney in power-surge mode, that'll never happen. Either way, "they have a bad name" isn't a good reason for contraction. But hey, it's if you're god, so go ahead, but saying "because they have a bad name" is no different than eliminating the Leafs because you don't like them, or eliminating the Rangers because you don't like Jarimor Jagr or something like that.

As for who I'd contract, I'd have to say:

Pittsburgh: Don't get me wrong, I love the Pens, but some contraction might do them some good. The market doesn't look active right now for them, so maybe if they moved away for a couple years, then after people realize they miss hockey, they could move a struggling team back there, where the Pens could be celebrated much like the Avalanche are today. This was the hardest choice to make, and if these roster changes make a difference in attendance and income, they're off the list in a heartbeat.

Carolina: They had their hay-day, but now they're in a Renaissance, and that will hurt them alot, much like the Ducks(only difference is, ownership did this, and if Disney can sell the team to a good owner, the ship can be righted). It's hard for the Hurricanes to compete with the Panthers and now possibly the Bobcats(if they do well), but we'll see.

Florida-Same reasons as the Hurricanes, but they have much more competition, especially now with Shaq in Miami.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Hercules Rockefeller said:
They had their hay-day, but now they're in a Renaissance

Nice malpropism. I somehow don't think in this context that Renaissance isn't the appropriate word you're looking for. If they were having a rebirth...why move them?

Kravitch

nomorekids said:
because attendance doesn't mean jack if you're not making money?

If I didn't know better I would say you want Canadian teams to be contracted.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Kravitch said:
If I didn't know better I would say you want Canadian teams to be contracted.

no, as i've said many times in this thread, i don't WANT any teams to be contracted. I'm just saying...for the high-and-mighty canadian fan that lashes out on the southern teams while ignoring the fact that they're in just as much danger...contraction should be perhaps a more sensitive issue.

Kravitch

nomorekids said:
no, as i've said many times in this thread, i don't WANT any teams to be contracted. I'm just saying...for the high-and-mighty canadian fan that lashes out on the southern teams while ignoring the fact that they're in just as much danger...contraction should be perhaps a more sensitive issue.

Gary Bettman assured the fans that contraction is something no fan, weather they are a fan of Edmonton or Carolina, has to worry about. He promised that by the end of the lockout, there will be 30 healthy NHL franchises in their current location.

I'm not saying contraction should be the last thing on our minds, but for the next while we can rest easy over it.

Having said that, I think Bettman is risking alot with his "promises".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad