If you could pick 2 of Lemieux,Crosby,Malkin,or Jagr to start 16/17

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Jagr and Geno, galloping danglers.

To not have Mario on your list tells me you are not old enough to have watched him in his prime. I have and saw Gretzky in his also and Mario is the best player to ever lace up a pair of skates. Injuries kept him from breaking all the records but Mario before the back problems was insane. The 199 point season was by far the most impressive season ever by a player. While 99 had more points in a season he was doing it with much better linemates and a top scoring team while Mario was playing with a career minor league player in Rob Brown as his best linemate that season. The next impressive season was also done by Mario and that was the year he won the scoring title with 160 points in 60 games while missing those games while getting chemo treatments. He also had the back problems and could not even lace his own skates much of that year. Give me a healthy Mario over any player ever.

Jagr was also the better player than Sid in my opinion although that is close enough to be a personal preference and Malkin could be put in that same group. I would give it to Jagr because he dominated the league winning 5 scoring titles including 4 in a row. I would not argue any one of them as the second choice. We are lucky to have had 4 generational talents because some teams have never had a player like those 4.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
To not have Mario on your list tells me you are not old enough to have watched him in his prime. I have and saw Gretzky in his also and Mario is the best player to ever lace up a pair of skates. Injuries kept him from breaking all the records but Mario before the back problems was insane. The 199 point season was by far the most impressive season ever by a player. While 99 had more points in a season he was doing it with much better linemates and a top scoring team while Mario was playing with a career minor league player in Rob Brown as his best linemate that season. The next impressive season was also done by Mario and that was the year he won the scoring title with 160 points in 60 games while missing those games while getting chemo treatments. He also had the back problems and could not even lace his own skates much of that year. Give.

I have him aheAD of Gretzky for the same reason. Those oilier teams were stacked.

Imagine Mario play g with today's obstruction rules ......scary

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
To not have Mario on your list tells me you are not old enough to have watched him in his prime. I have and saw Gretzky in his also and Mario is the best player to ever lace up a pair of skates. Injuries kept him from breaking all the records but Mario before the back problems was insane. The 199 point season was by far the most impressive season ever by a player. While 99 had more points in a season he was doing it with much better linemates and a top scoring team while Mario was playing with a career minor league player in Rob Brown as his best linemate that season. The next impressive season was also done by Mario and that was the year he won the scoring title with 160 points in 60 games while missing those games while getting chemo treatments. He also had the back problems and could not even lace his own skates much of that year. Give me a healthy Mario over any player ever.

Jagr was also the better player than Sid in my opinion although that is close enough to be a personal preference and Malkin could be put in that same group. I would give it to Jagr because he dominated the league winning 5 scoring titles including 4 in a row. I would not argue any one of them as the second choice. We are lucky to have had 4 generational talents because some teams have never had a player like those 4.
Mario was my childhood hero and I've watched Sid play in small town rinks when he was a kid. :laugh: I was just giving love to Geno/Jagr.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
It's Lemieux and Jagr and this isn't even a conversation. They are far and away the better two players.

:laugh:

Lemieux obviously. Choosing between Jagr on the wing or the generational two-way center in Crosby is highly debatable.

Given how we seem to win when our center depth is in line I'd go with Mario and Sid. Especially important in this era where the team with the most depth throughout the line up seems to win every year.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
mario as has already has been stated is the best player ever to hit the ice.
Mario with no back problems, scratch my back with a hacksaw!
Easily the most dominant/best player I've seen with or without back issues.

Jagr in his prime versus pre-steckel Crosby. That is tough, I'd take Crosby only because of the Center depth. But Jagr was easily a better player at his position.

Crosby pre-steckel was the best player in the league and it wasn't that close. But the OP was saying at age 29/30, 29 year old crosby is still a dominant player and you can state that he is the best player, but the competition gets closer to him.

Jagr is a top 5 winger in the history of the league. Those that are to young to remember don't realize just how dominant he was. This during a dead puck era, and when other teams would do nothing but just try and stop him.

I love the depth having Crosby, but if it's the Crosby after Steckel I take Jagr without hesitation. Can you imagine prime jagr now that things have opened up some (in comparison). Old man Jagr is hard to get the puck from, young prime Jagr it was impossible. Let the others play defense, prime Jagr with prime Mario would put up a crazy number of goals/points. Also in the playoffs, both Jagr and Mario could take a game over in a way that Crosby can not. Can you imagine this last cup run if you pulled Malkin/Crosby and inserted prime Jagr/Mario. Holy crap!

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think I'd have to go Mario and Jagr, but I waffled a bit on Jagr only because we know he's a headcase. I'd be a bit worried about him dying alive again.

But on pure playing ability it's hard to argue Sid or Malkin over Jagr.

Plus I can't imagine NHL teams now with the rules how they are being able to stop either one of them. Lemieux alone would be so dominant that it almost doesn't matter who you'd pick next because with no hooking he'd be totally unstoppable.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
mario as has already has been stated is the best player ever to hit the ice.
Mario with no back problems, scratch my back with a hacksaw!
Easily the most dominant/best player I've seen with or without back issues.

Jagr in his prime versus pre-steckel Crosby. That is tough, I'd take Crosby only because of the Center depth. But Jagr was easily a better player at his position.

Crosby pre-steckel was the best player in the league and it wasn't that close. But the OP was saying at age 29/30, 29 year old crosby is still a dominant player and you can state that he is the best player, but the competition gets closer to him.

Jagr is a top 5 winger in the history of the league. Those that are to young to remember don't realize just how dominant he was. This during a dead puck era, and when other teams would do nothing but just try and stop him.

I love the depth having Crosby, but if it's the Crosby after Steckel I take Jagr without hesitation. Can you imagine prime jagr now that things have opened up some (in comparison). Old man Jagr is hard to get the puck from, young prime Jagr it was impossible. Let the others play defense, prime Jagr with prime Mario would put up a crazy number of goals/points. Also in the playoffs, both Jagr and Mario could take a game over in a way that Crosby can not. Can you imagine this last cup run if you pulled Malkin/Crosby and inserted prime Jagr/Mario. Holy crap!

Center is a much more deep position than RW. Crosby is already arguably a top 10 C of all time.

Crosby has 4 first team center selections to Jagrs 7. Being the best center in the league 4 times IMO is much more impressive. Also crosby is much better in the playoffs. So lemieux and crosby for me.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
:laugh:

Lemieux obviously. Choosing between Jagr on the wing or the generational two-way center in Crosby is highly debatable.

Given how we seem to win when our center depth is in line I'd go with Mario and Sid. Especially important in this era where the team with the most depth throughout the line up seems to win every year.

Jagr was just as much a generational talent, but some people forget that simply because he has lasted so long in this league. Crosby would NEVER have been able to match Jagr's point totals and dominance in the dead puck era, and that is certainly no disrespect to Crosby. Jagr was just inarguably dominant with the puck on his stick.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I remember they would have won multiple cups if Patrick had not traded Zubov, Naslund and Tocchet. Also 96 was a cup team sidetracked by Francis getting injured and Tocchet being traded for Sandstrom. Then the next offseason Zubov was traded and youth like Dziedick and Roche were dumped in favor of crusty vets.

Not with that D core, they weren't. After Zubov, who was the next best guy, Daigneault? Who was a sort of poor man's Daley? And then there was a big dropoff from there (don't let the stats fool you; Dmitry Mironov was godawful). That ain't good enough.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Going with Mario and Sid. As i really don't want to see Kip Miller on this imaginary team.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Let me know when Crosby leads the league in points 5 times and has 149 points in a season.

Jagr stayed healthy during his best years, Sid didn't. That's the only reason why Sid doesn't have that many scoring titles, IMO. He easily wins in 2011. He had the best ppg in '12 and '13. Won in '14. Had the best ppg in '15. He really missed out more than anything. You can't question his talent or ability to have gone on a serious dominant run there in terms of regular season hardware.

His 10-11 season would have easily been 120+ points. Adjusting for the higher goals/game in '96 (Jagr's 149 point season) relative to today, Sid would have matched what Jagr did.

Sid's turning 29, ironically when Jagr won his last scoring title. And it looks like Sid's entering into the back half of his career as more of a ppg dominant 200 foot player.

This isn't a case of a two way center like Toews being hyped up as being on a generational talent's level. Sid's a generational talent who possesses an all around game that Jagr never had, and a peak offensive game that was closer to Jagr's than many will admit.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Just Mario. I'll take Mario with Bob Errey over any combination of the other 3. But if we're talking players in their primes, we gotta have Francis in there.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Mario and Crosby for me. The completeness of Crosby's game makes him my choice after the obvious one.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Crosby and Jagr. Too many injuries/health concerns between Lemieux and Malkin.

If Lemieux and Malkin stay healthy, then I'll take their size together all day.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Crosby and Jagr. Too many injuries/health concerns between Lemieux and Malkin.

If Lemieux and Malkin stay healthy, then I'll take their size all day.

When Sid gets top billing, be ready for a pouty Jagr to deal with.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Let me know when Crosby leads the league in points 5 times and has 149 points in a season.

Let me know when Jagr learns he's not the only player on the team. The guy was a horrible leader and doesn't play defense. You look at the all-time greats and Jagr is the only the really sticks out as a bad captain.

I think Mario and Crosby result in more cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad