If you could pick 2 of Lemieux,Crosby,Malkin,or Jagr to start 16/17

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, I'd say Mario and Sid, too. Like our Gretzky and Messier duo.

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
I remember they would have won multiple cups if Patrick had not traded Zubov, Naslund and Tocchet. Also 96 was a cup team sidetracked by Francis getting injured and Tocchet being traded for Sandstrom. Then the next offseason Zubov was traded and youth like Dziedick and Roche were dumped in favor of crusty vets.

Sandstrom was acquired along with Shawn McEachern in 94 for McSorley and Peak.

Tocchet was traded for Luc Robitaille who eventually turned into Petr Nedved. This also was in 1994

The Naslund trade sucked but Naslund didn't come into his own in Vancouver until 98-99.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Since we're about to hit the part of the offseason where things can get quiet until preseason I thought of an excerise that could be a fun for some people to think about and take part in. And yes when bringing Lemieux and Jagr into this discussion I am talking those two in their prime- lets say all four players are the same age at 29/30 y/o.

Taking the 16/17 opening day roster and adding only 2 of those players, who would you want on this years team? And why? If you think you were to hands down pick Lemieux and Crosby would either of them be happy playing 2nd line center without demnding trade (that'd likely be Crosby's issue in that case)? Maybe you think one of then is content at wing? If you took a 30 year old Jagr on the roster would you be content with Bonino as a 2nd line center? If not, would you move someone out to get one? If you took Malkin as one of your two, maybe because you feel you don't have to worry about trading for a 2nd line center.

I know everyone hates Jagr but I'm asking all to keep an open mind and forget hating him for just a second, just for this excercise. Think of Jagr at 30 not
wanting any part of another team other than Pittsburgh.I'm hoping this is a discussion that could last all summer because, well since we do not have the opening day roster as of yet ;)

Have fun

Not even close, 66 and 68.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
If all else is the same(meaning coaching/system, bottom 6, etc) then it's a pretty easy call for me. Mario and Sid. You strike a better balance while also maintaining incredible offensive production. Let's not forget, under Sullivan's more aggressive approach, Sid went right back to his 1.3ppg career average and his goal scoring returned. Couple that with whatever monstrous numbers Mario would be putting up PLUS Crosby's solid two-way game... yeah, easy choice for me.

I mean, it would basically just be the dynamic of this year's team but with a massive upgrade at 1C and probably a better power play. It wouldn't even be fair.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Mario/Sid without question.

Reasons being, both were elite to start. Neither were dependent on anyone. Crosby never needed Mario to lead the way. Jagr is more Malkin.

Your alphas are always going to stand out.

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
I think if players like Lemieux and Jagr fall into your lap, everything else changes around them. You could put Kessel with Mario and Jagr with Bonino/Hagelin and have two dominant lines.

I think it would be neat to see Kessel playing with Mario on the PP

I actually think Jagr and Malkn would work well together also

Sid with Stevens

Francis with Mullen

Bonino and Cullen would have to play 4th line

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'd do Mario and Sid, but a part of me would do Mario and Geno because having two 6'4+, 220lb+, rangy, insanely skilled centers is awesome.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Lemieux and Crosby with no hesitation. I think very highly of Jagr but I think Crosby would bring more value as a 2C than Jagr would as 1RW. He's the more well rounded and versatile player.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Mario and Sid for sure. Jagr was offensively more talented than Sid but he's never been a good defensive player, and for a large part of his career a bad influence in the locker room.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
If you're trying to win 1 game, Mario and Jagr no questions.
Jagr scored 127 points in the late 90s, which was the epitome of the dead puck era. Imagine someone scoring 127 points today!

Obviously can't go wrong with Sid or Geno but their offensive game isn't in the same league as Jagr.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If you're trying to win 1 game, Mario and Jagr no questions.
Jagr scored 127 points in the late 90s, which was the epitome of the dead puck era. Imagine someone scoring 127 points today!

Obviously can't go wrong with Sid or Geno but their offensive game isn't in the same league as Jagr.

It's a different game today. No forward is playing anywhere near 26 minutes a game.

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I'll take the 2010 calendar year of Crosby (who scored around 60 goals and 130 points I believe) over any year of Jagr's career. Without an ounce of hesitation.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
On this roster? Lemieux as 1C, Crosby as 2C. We have enough RWs. Malkin is the clear #4...as sad as that is.

Kunitz-Lemieux-Kessel
Hagelin-Crosby-Hornqvist

That'd do.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Putting everything on the table. Talent, charachter, position they play and everyones healthy.
Easily Mario and Sid for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad