If the cap goes up to $80-82 million next year, should we go after Tavares if he hits UFA?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I really do not get all this talk of Marner and Nylander cashing in??? The only player from the top 3 that has earned the money we are speaking of is Matthews. Nylander and Marner have scored a combined 6 goals, with 2 of them into empty nets. How does this project into anything other then bridge deals?

They are no where close to be worth 6 million+ a season. Either of them. If this continues, there should be no reason at all for the Leafs not to have the cap space to sign Tavares along with our so called big 3. I don't know how anyone in their right mind can expect Marner and Nylander to make more then what Kadri is signed for long term. Right now anyway.

This balanced scoring, not being dependent on Marner and Nylander is working in the Leafs favor. And as it was brought up earlier, if there is anyone that can talk great players to take less for the betterment of the team, its uncle LOU.

Get it done.

Don't necessarily think we give either/both max term, but I also don't see bridge deals happening. Really happy with the Kadri contract - especially if his production remains consistent with last year's totals moving forward. However, Kadri's career year came after he signed the six year (and Marner and Nylander were as productive as rookies). Lou did really well on the Kadri contract considering he bought four UFA years, but 4.5 M in either case here seems too optimistic.

I'd love both to be re-upped on team friendly long-term deals, but I don't want it to be at the expense of their (lack of) production as they're too important to the long-term outlook of the team.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't understand folks math. So what if it goes up 82m, Nylander will want more based on the cap 82, as will Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, maybe Gardiner in the following years. Leafs can't expect to pay or overpay Tavares and then have future signing based on the cap at 75.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't understand folks math. So what if it goes up 82m, Nylander will want more based on the cap 82, as will Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, maybe Gardiner in the following years. Leafs can't expect to pay or overpay Tavares and then have future signing based on the cap at 75.

Nylander is an RFA who has no leverage or power. Same with the rest of them except Gardiner is UFA and Matthews is the star so he'll get what he wants.

Nylander has to prove he is better than Pasta and Ehlers. Right now he is not getting paid more than either of those two.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Nylander is getting traded - and is likely to get 6mil off the back of Matthews. He hasn't produced at a wowing rate without Matthews on his line. He's not a Babcock player, either. He is most likely getting traded for some help.

You have Marner and Matthews to get signed to big deals - Matthews is getting big, big money. Marner is probably going to get 6 to 6.5.

Tavares is probably a max contract in UFA.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander is an RFA who has no leverage or power. Same with the rest of them except Gardiner is UFA and Matthews is the star so he'll get what he wants.

Nylander has to prove he is better than Pasta and Ehlers. Right now he is not getting paid more than either of those two.

You'll agree with me, that Tavares is going to sign a more than 3 year deal. So Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Matthews, Gardiner and other contracts have to negotiated. And they aren't going to basing their contracts on a 75m cap, it will be on the level of the cap when in they sign their contracts, whether 79, 82, or 85m. RFAs has no power? I guess you haven't been observing the recent RFA signings.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander is getting traded - and is likely to get 6mil off the back of Matthews. He hasn't produced at a wowing rate without Matthews on his line. He's not a Babcock player, either. He is most likely getting traded for some help.

You have Marner and Matthews to get signed to big deals - Matthews is getting big, big money. Marner is probably going to get 6 to 6.5.

How is Nylander not a Babcock player?

The idea that Nylander is m a passenger offensively also isn’t really supported by most evidence - particularly since Nylander himself tends to generate a high number of high danger scoring chances himself. Remember Matthews 13 game scoring slump last season where Nylander went near PPG through it?

Can’t say I see he or Marner getting traded in the near future

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
You'll agree with me, that Tavares is going to sign a more than 3 year deal. So Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Matthews, Gardiner and other contracts have to negotiated. And they aren't going to basing their contracts on a 75m cap, it will be on the level of the cap when in they sign their contracts, whether 79, 82, or 85m. RFAs has no power? I guess you haven't been observing the recent RFA signings.

Yeah all the recent ones were right in line. Oilers are the only team that's f***ed up. They overpaid thinking the rest of the market will follow suit and it hasn't happened

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Dont see JT going to free agency. and same goes for Doughty (especially if the kings keep performing like they do). Can someone think of the last time an elite/face of a franchise player was signed as a UFA? it really never happens and therefore i wouldn't count on it.

Reactions: Menzinger
Mar 14, 2015

You sound like a broken record.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
As long as it's not a crazy cap crunching number then you absolutely sign Tavares then figure out the rest of the team later.

Even if it means trading off Nylander or Marner who as much as I like them aren't at Tavares level of player and very very likely never will be.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
signing jt would be fantastic and make us contenders for sure. we can replace jvr, bozak, komarov and moore (12 million) with jt, kapanen, gauthier and grunsdtrom (13.65 million; i guess jt gets 11 million). we'd be a much better team with little cost. i didn't include nylander or soshnikov's estimated cap, which would probably 7.5 million combined

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think this is a pipedream for us. We have a lot of good young players we could lose down the road if we aren't careful, I also think signing him longterm at this age is dicey. Is it wise to go to the cap in this era? What if NYI comes along and offers Nylander $10M/ yr. as revenge? I'd rather keep Nylander at this point.

Reactions: Menzinger

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Maybe im missing something, but im not worried about Nylanders next contract.
I think he will end up getting something close to Pastrnak. 6.66x6 after a 70 point season.
Nylander is on pace to close to 50 points right now. To me, that makes him a 6-6.5mx 7 or 8 year deal.

Anyway, if JT wants more than 10mil I wouldnt do it unless we have a move to get rid of Marleau for year 2.
My view...

FORWARDS (13)
RW: W. Nylander ($6.5) - C. Brown ($2,1) - M. Marner ($.894) - N. Soshnikov ($1,2)
Centre: A. Matthews ($925,000) - J. Tavares ($10) - N. Kadri ($4,5) - F. Gauthier ($1)
LW: Z. Hyman ($2) - P. Marleau ($6,2) - J. Leivo ($.925) - A. Johnsson/Rychel ($1,2) - M. Martin ($2,5)
DEFENSE (7)
Right: N. Zaitsev ($4,5) - R. Hainsey ($3) - C. Carrick ($1,75)
Left: M. Rielly ($5) - J. Gardiner ($4,050) - A. Borgman ($.925)
GOALTENDER (2)
F. Andersen ($5) - C. Pickard ($1,25)

Plenty of wiggle room to sign a 4C or to try and improve the D.
Matthews 8x8 and Marner at 6-6.5x8 would lock the Leafs into some heavy contracts for a long time, so its a gamble.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think he will end up getting something close to Pastrnak. 6.66x6 after a 70 point season.
Nylander is on pace to close to 50 points right now. To me, that makes him a 6-6.5mx 7 or 8 year deal.

Anyway, if JT wants more than 10mil I wouldnt do it unless we have a move to get rid of Marleau for year 2.
My view...

FORWARDS (13)
RW: W. Nylander ($6.5) - C. Brown ($2,1) - M. Marner ($.894) - N. Soshnikov ($1,2)
Centre: A. Matthews ($925,000) - J. Tavares ($10) - N. Kadri ($4,5) - F. Gauthier ($1)
LW: Z. Hyman ($2) - P. Marleau ($6,2) - J. Leivo ($.925) - A. Johnsson/Rychel ($1,2) - M. Martin ($2,5)
DEFENSE (7)
GOALTENDER (2)

Matthews 8x8 and Marner at 6-6.5x8 would lock the Leafs into some heavy contracts for a long time, so its a gamble.

Matthews isn’t taking 2 million less than eichel. That’s 16 million of missed earnings in his prime.

He may do us a huge favour and go 10x8. But probably looking for 11.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I get that Tavares is a hell of a player, but I'd rather stay away so our cap situation stays flexible. The way Nylander and Marner are trending, they will definitely come in at around $6-$6.5M. We could end up with less money tied up in our Big 3 than some teams have tied up in their top 2 or 3 guys and we already have 4 core players (Kadri, Rielly, Zaitsev and Andersen) locked in on modest contracts with a rising cap coming too. Keeping the team cheap will allow us to give the Brown's, Borgman's etc. Second contracts and could potentially allow us to steer clear of any cap issues whatsoever. This approach is way more sustainable, having more than half of your cap tied into 5-6 players catches up to you (ie. Chicago and possibly Pittsburgh now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tavares has 3 choices
Leafs
Sens
Habs.

Staying on the island would be a horrible mistake
Does Tavares want to come to Canada? Does he want the big market microscope cities of Toronto/Montreal? Can the internal cap Sens have Tavares with Duchene/Brassard/Karlsson all up for contracts at the same time?
I wouldn't rule out NYR at all. Not far for JT to move.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I think this is a pipedream for us. We have a lot of good young players we could lose down the road if we aren't careful, I also think signing him longterm at this age is dicey. Is it wise to go to the cap in this era? What if NYI comes along and offers Nylander $10M/ yr. as revenge? I'd rather keep Nylander at this point.

You would rather have Nylander than a signed Tavares and four first rounders?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Even if Nylander turns it around, his start to the season has taken the hype wind out of its sails. We should be able to sign him at $7 million or under.

Matthews, we should be able to sign at $10 million, by emphasizing that McDavid at $12.5 million and Eichel at $10 million were mistakes made by their respective franchises, and are not the norm throughout the league. The additional fact that the Edmonton and Buffalo are playing so poorly can only help the Leafs in negotiations.

With the cap going up further, there will easily be room for Tavares without hurting the team.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
leafs aren't gonna re-sign gardiner. he isn't worth re-signing. kapanen has little to no nhl experience so he won't make that much

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
80 million cap

Trade Nylander or Marner + Gardiner + Martin ( Cap Relief) for Tanev + maybe picks

Hyman (2.25) - Mathews (10) - MM/ WN (6.25)
JVR (6.5) - Tavares (11.5) - Brown (2.1)
Marleau (6.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Kapanen (1)
Grundstrum (925k) - Altonen (925k) - Leivo (925k)

Reilly (5) - Tanev (4.25)
Hainsey(3) - zaitsev (4.5)
Dermott (863k) - Liljegren (925k)

Extras - Borgman (925k), Rychel (925k), Kessel (1.2)

Andersen (5)
Sparks (645k)

Total - 79.838 million

A Cap of 82 could put a guy a higher paid guy like Erik Johnson in play. A man can dream right

Last edited:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

My view...

FORWARDS (13)
DEFENSE (7)
GOALTENDER (2)

Matthews is gonna get like 12 mill a year

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I think this is an easy answer. Yes. Why wouldnt we, even with the current cap and keeping our big 3 we could barely squeak him in, but we could. I would think also playing for his home town, childhood team, he would give us a slight discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad