If the cap goes up to $80-82 million next year, should we go after Tavares if he hits UFA?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think they've even earned that

Yes I guess we're beginning to understand that the trajectory of our young stars and our team in general may not be a rocket going straight up after all. It's possible that Nylander won't surpass Tavares this year and we won't have 3 of the the top 5 scorers in the NHL this year, probably not next year either. ;)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think we should shop coming up with all these ideas until some one really hit the FA, we discuss for years (I think this is the 2nd year we are discussing JT) and these players usually end up with their existing teams. I am not sure what's the point discussing it? whether the Cap goes up or not

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Here is my take on Tavares and the Leafs Cap consequences.

JVR ($4.25 mil) + Bozak ($4.2 mil) + Komarov ($2.9 mil) all UFAs = $11.35 mil ... OUT
&
Tavares ($10 mil) + Kapanen ($865k) + Soshnikov ($735k) = $11.6 mil .... all IN or UP

3 players OUT and JT and 2 X Marlies UP and your Cap is essentially a wash.

While JT would be signed as a UFA, fans could really view this for all intents and purposes as Leafs sending JVR, Bozie and uncle Leo to the NYI for Tavares rights.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
They can afford:

Matthews $10 million
Tavares $9 million
Marner $6.5-7 million
Nylander $6.5-7 million

Marner and Nylander haven’t earned any more than that.

that's $32m for 4 forwards. You need 10 more.
You then add Marleu 6.25, Kadri 4.5, Martin+Hyman+Brown 6.85. Then let's say 5 more at $1m each.
Now you have about $55m for your forwards

Defense you have Hainsey, Zietsev, Gardiner and Rielly at 16.5 plus 3 more at about 1m each.
That's about $20m for defense

Goalies $5.85m
and $1.2 for Phil

that's $81m.
over $80m cap. Or at best no room to breathe.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Here is my take on Tavares and the Leafs Cap consequences.

JVR ($4.25 mil) + Bozak ($4.2 mil) + Komarov ($2.9 mil) all UFAs = $11.35 mil ... OUT
&
Tavares ($10 mil) + Kapanen ($865k) + Soshnikov ($735k) = $11.6 mil .... all IN or UP

3 players OUT and JT and 2 X Marlies UP and your Cap is essentially a wash.

While JT would be signed as a UFA, fans could really view this for all intents and purposes as Leafs sending JVR, Bozie and uncle Leo to the NYI for Tavares rights.

And ultimately Tavares sign with some one else :laugh: after we trade all 3 to NYI (Vesey)

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
that's $32m for 4 forwards. You need 10 more.
You then add Marleu 6.25, Kadri 4.5, Martin+Hyman+Brown 6.85. Then let's say 5 more at $1m each.
Now you have about $55m for your forwards

Defense you have Hainsey, Zietsev, Gardiner and Rielly at 16.5 plus 3 more at about 1m each.
That's about $20m for defense

Goalies $5.85m
and $1.2 for Phil

that's $81m.
over $80m cap. Or at best no room to breathe.

Marleau isn’t a long term thing here. His contract is gone in 2020.

Cap might go up over the next few years.

If we are strapped by the cap before then, we can make moves at that time.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Marleau and martins contracts will be worth 2.25 million on an 8.75 cap if they were moved it’s an ok cap.
Eithout it’s tight. I don’t believe we will get him. But if he does become available it is do able

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yes I guess we're beginning to understand that the trajectory of our young stars and our team in general may not be a rocket going straight up after all. It's possible that Nylander won't surpass Tavares this year and we won't have 3 of the the top 5 scorers in the NHL this year, probably not next year either. ;)

Seemed likely (also the science of probability) that one of our big 3 would regress this year. Hopefully we can buck the stats & trends but that could be hard to achieve.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Seemed likely (also the science of probability) that one of our big 3 would regress this year. Hopefully we can buck the stats & trends but that could be hard to achieve.

I like to take a long-term approach to assessing players. It’s ok if they don’t progress as quickly as I would like in any given year, as long as they keep learning and continue to improve over the long term. Where are they in a couple of years?

I think it’s reasonable to give forwards at least 3 years to develop, and defensemen at least 5 years. Marner and Nylander took the entire league by surprise last year. The league knows better their tendencies now. Now, it’s up to them to counter adapt to the league and find more ways to utilize their skill. It’ll be a cat and mouse game with the league’s opponents for a few years as they keep trying to stay ahead of their opponents, and vice versa.

I think Matthews will always be ahead of the curve. The others will need time.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Paul Coffey speaking with Sportsnet radio today. Mentioned how playing for the Leafs was always on his mind, because he was from Toronto. He mentioned how he grew up a Leafs fan, took a 20 year break from being a Leafs fan while he played in the NHL, and is once again a Leafs fan in retirement. He finally mentioned that Matthews helps attract stars to Toronto. In short, nothing we didn’t already know.

(He also mentioned how it’s cool to be a Leaf because you have people throughout the whole country cheering for you)

Paul Coffey on young cores in Edmonton and Toronto - Sportsnet.ca

I think we have a unique opportunity to grab one or both of Tavares and Doughty. The next two off-seasons could be interesting.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marleau isn’t a long term thing here. His contract is gone in 2020.

Cap might go up over the next few years.

If we are strapped by the cap before then, we can make moves at that time.

Marleau is still on the books when all 3 kids get paid, we can't just assume he's going to walk

I don't think Horton and his 5.3M or rookie bonuses were included either in that guys calculations

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
that sounds like a pretty fantastic allocation of #35 million to me...

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Marleau is still on the books when all 3 kids get paid, we can't just assume he's going to walk

I don't think Horton and his 5.3M or rookie bonuses were included either in that guys calculations

Marleau is on the books for just one year after Matthews and Marner get paid. You don’t give up on Tavares or Doughty because you have a 40 year old Marleau on the books for one year. You trade Marleau or someone else and do what’s necessary to make it work.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marleau is on the books for just one year after Matthews and Marner get paid. You don’t give up on Tavares or Doughty because you have a 40 year old Marleau on the books for one year. You trade Marleau or someone else and do what’s necessary to make it work.

Marleau has a full NMC, if he wants to he can tell the team to **** off

So now what's the plan?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Comes down to who you prefer tavares, doughty or karlsson

With Karlssons comments looks like he will be a ufa " WHEN I test the market I will see how much I can get."

Doughty "f yea I love that guy" (babcock)..."being from london its hard to not want to play for the leafs."

Tbh i take doughty. Less injury prone is the main reason. I could see us landing Karlsson and then him getting hurt

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What am I, the GM or capologist? Lou and Pridham are paid to make these decisions. Just relax and let them do their job. There is always a way to work with the cap.

So your "plan" is **** will just work out?

If you want Tavares fine, but why not trying putting a plan together to at least look moderately informed on how the cap situation would work?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad