If the 2017 NHL Draft Happened Today...

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Why? Hischier has been impressive but it's not like he's currently lighting the NHL on fire and running away with the Calder. And, after a hot start, he's also been struggling lately, with only 2 points in his last 9. IMO, it's not "laughable" to project a player more highly than a current NHLer, just because they're currently playing oversees. Pettersson is having the best U-20 season in the history of the SHL, better than Forsberg, Naslund, Backstrom or the Sedins. What's so laughable about projecting a player like that to be an elite star player in the NHL?

Pettersson is on a stacked team. I remember seeing a stat like only 1 player on the entire Vaxjo team had a CF% below 50, and they have a team average of ~56. That is ridiculous. Yes, Pettersson has been impressive but I guarantee you that if he was on Brynas or Frolunda he doesn't touch those records. Nico is still producing at a ~50 point pace as an 18 YO in the NHL. It is certainly possible for Pettersson to become the better pro down the line. But in absolutely no world does Pettersson get drafted in front of Hischier if the draft happened today.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
Pettersson is on a stacked team. I remember seeing a stat like only 1 player on the entire Vaxjo team had a CF% below 50, and they have a team average of ~56. That is ridiculous. Yes, Pettersson has been impressive but I guarantee you that if he was on Brynas or Frolunda he doesn't touch those records. Nico is still producing at a ~50 point pace as an 18 YO in the NHL. It is certainly possible for Pettersson to become the better pro down the line. But in absolutely no world does Pettersson get drafted in front of Hischier if the draft happened today.
Oh look the "team is good so his numbers don't mean anything" argument again!

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
That street goes both ways. Do you think Hischier scores at a 50 point pace on the Coyotes and not on a division-leading Devils team where everyone on the roster is having career years?

Pettersson has a 35% lead on the second leading scorer for Vaxjo. Considering that they are a very strong team, that's incredible no matter his age.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
I'll take quality NHL production any day. And so would 99% of GMs
Not saying I wouldn't take Hischier over Pettersson, I would. The argument that he's only doing well because of his team has been used so many times and has been disproven again and again.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Oh look the "team is good so his numbers don't mean anything" argument again!

Regardless of who's better I'll take his argument over someone who doesn't watch the SHL, just goes by the stats. Wouldn't mind if he played for Luleå :(

I have no horse in the race but man it's annoying when people have strong opinions regarding a league they never watch (like how NLA is a "more competitive league than Liiga" before Matthews was drafted and now that argument coincidentally died out again)

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
really stacked team he's on where he's outscoring #2 by 12 points. CLEARLY being carried by linemates.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That street goes both ways. Do you think Hischier scores at a 50 point pace on the Coyotes and not on a division-leading Devils team where everyone on the roster is having career years?

Pettersson has a 35% lead on the second leading scorer for Vaxjo. Considering that they are a very strong team, that's incredible no matter his age.

I’m sure one or two GMs would draft someone other than Hischier first overall. The vast majority take the guy playing with at least some success in the NHL. Watch Hischier for several games before you discount him. He projects to have a lot more success in the future. Maybe Petterson is better in the future but until he steps foot on a regular season NHL rink there is a degree of uncertainty.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I’m sure one or two GMs would draft someone other than Hischier first overall. The vast majority take the guy playing with at least some success in the NHL. Watch Hischier for several games before you discount him. He projects to have a lot more success in the future. Maybe Petterson is better in the future but until he steps foot on a regular season NHL rink there is a degree of uncertainty.
i agree with this.
I don't agree with the weak arguments used against Pettersson above, but I do agree that until he steps into the NHL, you can't put him above Hischier

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
1. Hischier
2. Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Tolvanen
5. Makar
6. Patrick
7. Chytil
8. Glass
9. Andersson
10. Thomas
i’m glad Thomas is getting love and is doing well. i was obsessed with him long before he gained any hype and when he was ranked in the 2nd round i was saying he’s in my personal top 15-20.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i agree with this.
I don't agree with the weak arguments used against Pettersson above, but I do agree that until he steps into the NHL, you can't put him above Hischier

Ultimately both teams will have to surround these guys with additional talented players and coaches and my guess is that both teams will be pleased with their guy. The Canucks are well on their way with Boeser and Horvat etc. You can’t let hair splitting ruin the fan experience. So what if Patterson doesn’t outscore Peter Forsberg in his first NHL season. He’s a great player and naysayers can’t change reality. I see Hischier in that light. He will be a great two way center in his prime and he is already a good one. So he doesn’t have stats like McDavid or Matthews. Whatever. He’s a ray of sunshine on a team that desperately needed it.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Yeah lets take the player not in the NHL as the youngest in the league while playing amazing two way play and decent points, lets take someone who didn’t come to the NHL yet.

Hipster vote, no basis

Hischier first, then after it can be whoever.

Reactions: cris10

Knucklehead

Oct 18, 2002
Fort Nelson,B.C.

You got to be careful as you can't say absolutely, as if Pettersson is up against a generational player like a Lemieux, Gretzky or McDavid.
I think you are way over estimating Hischer's successful not spectacular, rookie year in the NHL to pettersson's consistently spectacular play in the SHL.
I think with out question if there was a redraft Pettersson would get some support for first overall at a minimum. I heard one analyst say he would have been considered for first overall if he wasn't such a string bean.
I have watched pro hockey for 47 yrs and Pettersson has a unique and incredible natural intuition of what to do with the puck and the skill and patients to pull it off. I have seen him in my "limited viewing" make plays I have never seen a pro make or even attempt. Right now his vision is without question a level beyond at least 95% of NHLers today and maybe higher. And his stick handling reminds me of Kane is lightning quick.
Don't get me wrong, Hischer is having a fine rookie year and is likely going to go on to have a very good NHL career with some All Star selections but he isn't even among the top rookie scorers so far. Boesser and Barzal are one two and I can see why. I am more impressed with Barzal's play then I am of Hischer's. And yeah, I have seen him play.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Petersson is still skin and bones. If anything, that’s what i would worry about most transitioning over to the NA game.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Why? Hischier has been impressive but it's not like he's currently lighting the NHL on fire and running away with the Calder. And, after a hot start, he's also been struggling lately, with only 2 points in his last 9. IMO, it's not "laughable" to project a player more highly than a current NHLer, just because they're currently playing oversees. Pettersson is having the best U-20 season in the history of the SHL, better than Forsberg, Naslund, Backstrom or the Sedins. What's so laughable about projecting a player like that to be an elite star player in the NHL?
Hischier is struggling.. really? If you go based off his points then sure but his two way play at 18 is absurdly strong. Imagine when he gets more time, size, and experience?

There is no reason Hischier cant be a Selke candidate and put up good points, Bergeron/Datsyuk style

Reactions: cris10

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Nothing has changed for me from the draft until now, maybe we have a little better understanding on what these guys can be but 6 months doesn’t change my list drastically by any means. My projections were always about what the player would be 5-10 years down the road and not 6 months. So while I’d take what they’ve done into account, an unreal performance by one player and a sub-par performance by another doesn’t change my outlook by much. A player may move a spot or two either way but nothing drastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad