If the 2017 NHL Draft Happened Today...

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
What would be your top 10-20 RANKINGS? (not draft order)

Have you soured on Patrick?

How high does Tolvanen rise?

Have Glass, Mittlestadt, and Necas dropped in your rankings by players selected below them having elite like seasons?

Last edited:

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
1. Devils - Nico Hischier
2. Flyers - Elias Petterssen
3. Dallas - Miro Heiskanen
4. Colorado - Cale Makar
5. Vancouver - Eeli Tolvanen
6. Las Vegas - Nolan Patrick
7. New York Rangers - Filip Chytil
8. Buffalo - Casey Mittelstadt
9. Detroit - Robert Thomas
10. Florida - Aleksi Heponiemi
11. Los Angeles - Cody Glass
12. Carolina - Henri Jokiharku
13. Las Vegas - Timothy Liljegren
14. Tampa - Lias Andersson
15. Las Vegas - Martin Necas
16. Calgary - Nick Suzuki
17. Leafs - Juuso Valimaki
18. Bruins - Gabriel Vilardi
19. Sharks - Conor Timmins
20. Blues - Alex Formenton

HM: Tyler Steenbergen, Kaiser Yamamoto, Callan Foote, Conor Timmins, Josh Norris

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
4. Colorado - Cale Makar

HM: Tyler Steenbergen, Kaiser Yamamoto, Callan Foote, Conor Timmins, Josh Norris
HM to Norris but Poehling is not in top 20 or HM?

Yamamoto outside the top 20 despite making the NHL at 18 and dominating in the preseason? Odd choices...

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
4. Colorado - Cale Makar

Mmm love me some Kaiser Yamamoto.

You’re completely missing Ryan Poehling, Erik Brannstrom, and Michael Rasmussen which are all no brainers, to not even mention them is laughable.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
#1 Heiskanen
#2 Hischier
#3 Tolvanen
¤4 Pettersson
#5 Patrick
#6 Makar
¤7 Chytil
#8 Mitteldstad
#9 Necas
#10 Välimäki

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
4. Colorado - Cale Makar

what has Mittelstadt done to be above Glass?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mmm love me some Kaiser Yamamoto.

You’re completely missing Ryan Poehling, Erik Brannstrom, and Michael Rasmussen which are all no brainers, to not even mention them is laughable.
A bunch of people weren't high on Rasmussen to begin with, same with Brannstrom. They were actually quite divisive, if you didn't think they were top 20 at the draft, I don't know what they've done to dramatically change your opinion.

Either way, this thread will be way too reactionary (although not as bad as it will be two weeks into January after the WJC).

Patrick is struggling, but he's still by far in the toughest league and is coming off injuries.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Not much should have changed.

1. Nico
2. Nolan
3. Heiskanen
4. Pettersson/Makar
5. Pettersson if not taken earlier/Tolvanen

Reactions: Raymoondo

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
A bunch of people weren't high on Rasmussen to begin with, same with Brannstrom. They were actually quite divisive, if you didn't think they were top 20 at the draft, I don't know what they've done to dramatically change your opinion.

Either way, this thread will be way too reactionary (although not as bad as it will be two weeks into January after the WJC).

Patrick is struggling, but he's still by far in the toughest league and is coming off injuries.
Rasmussen has been very good when he’s not coming straight back from time off for his bad wrist. Brannstrom won’t be a threat yet, he has the tools to grow into a PP beast. Some players get written off just because they don’t have a crazy D1 year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Rasmussen has been very good when he’s not coming straight back from time off for his bad wrist. Brannstrom won’t be a threat yet, he has the tools to grow into a PP beast. Some players get written off just because they don’t have a crazy D1 year.
Yes, I wouldn't say they should be written off or anything, but if you didn't have them top 20 6 months ago, I see no reason why they are mandatory top 20 guys now. Rasmussen's production is pretty much in line with what he did last year when age adjustments are applied. Its not like Rasmussen was off skates all summer, he took part in Detroit's camp. So, I don't think the rust excuse applies to the beginning of the year, he just happened to be cold to start the year.

Brannstrom was 29 on McKenzie's list, and his rankings heavily varied. If you didn't feel he was top 20 then, I see no reason he would be top 20 now. I personally would have both of them as fringe guys on my list in that range.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yes, I wouldn't say they should be written off or anything, but if you didn't have them top 20 6 months ago, I see no reason why they are mandatory top 20 guys now. Rasmussen's production is pretty much in line with what he did last year when age adjustments are applied. Its not like Rasmussen was off skates all summer, he took part in Detroit's camp. So, I don't think the rust excuse applies to the beginning of the year, he just happened to be cold to start the year.

Brannstrom was 29 on McKenzie's list, and his rankings heavily varied. If you didn't feel he was top 20 then, I see no reason he would be top 20 now. I personally would have both of them as fringe guys on my list in that range.
I’m not calling rust, I’m just saying he always struggled on his wrist a day or two after sitting out for weeks with the injury. I just don’t see the point of having someone like Josh Norris there when he hasn’t done anything to distinguish him self from Poehling and Rasmussen who’ve played well.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
He’s also on a way better pace that last year, 31 in 22 is much better. You can see his off season improvements for sure.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
What has Heiskanen done that would put him above Hischier?

Playing amazing season, but in the end it comes down to potential.

I’ve said this before, but there’s no reason for Tolvanen to be ahead of Pettersson.

And you are entitled to that opinion. Tolvanen is playing in a much harder league and on a historic pace. We'll see who was closer in the next 3-5 years for sure.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Playing amazing season, but in the end it comes down to potential.

And you are entitled to that opinion. Tolvanen is playing in a much harder league and on a historic pace. We'll see who was closer in the next 3-5 years for sure.
Much harder league is not that true. They’re both pro leagues and Pettersson is setting records. KHL is superior, but not by a crazy amount.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I’m not calling rust, I’m just saying he always struggled on his wrist a day or two after sitting out for weeks with the injury. I just don’t see the point of having someone like Josh Norris there when he hasn’t done anything to distinguish him self from Poehling and Rasmussen who’ve played well.
I'm just saying, if you didn't like Rasmussen 6 months ago as a prospect, I don't really see what he's done this year to change it. These lists are still pretty arbitrary and wide open. If I wanted to, I could easily poke holes with most peoples lists depending on the angle you want to take.

I had Rasmussen in the 20's 6th months ago, and I don't see much of a reason to change that opinion. I'd probably bump him a little but not much. Here's what I had prior to the actual draft.

1: Hischier (Finally switched)
2: Patrick
3: Vilardi
4: Heiskanen
5: Pettersson
6: Glass
7: Makar
8: Mittelstadt
9: Necas
10: Liljegren
11: Foote
12: Suzuki
13: Lias Anderssen
14: Valimaki
15: Poehling
16: Branstrom
17: Vaakanianen
18: Klim Kostin
19: Ratcliffe
20: Tolvanen
21: Tippett
22: Yamamoto
23: Robertson
24: PO Joseph
25: Dylan Samberg
26: Rasmussen
27: Robert Thomas
28: Kole Lind
29: Bowers
30: Chytil
31: Boqvist
In regards to clear movement, Chytil would find himself in the top 20 somewhere. Vilardi would fall at a minimum to 8th (and possibly out of the top 10, but I'll wait till he comes back, I don't like the injury and it could be a lost year of development). I'd probably drop Mittelstadt a little. I'd drop Ratcliffe a bit. I'd probably bump PO Joseph a bit up. Tolvanen would find himself in the top 10 somewhere. I'd also bump Robert Thomas a decent amount. He'd probably be in my top 15 somewhere now.

Last edited:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I'm just saying, if you didn't like Rasmussen 6 months ago as a prospect, I don't really see what he's done this year to change it. These lists are still pretty arbitrary and wide open. If I wanted to, I could easily poke holes with most peoples lists depending on the angle you want to take.

I had Rasmussen in the 20's 6th months ago, and I don't see much of a reason to change that opinion. I'd probably bump him a little but not much. Here's what I had prior to the actual draft.

In regards to clear movement, Chytil would find himself in the top 20 somewhere. Vilardi would fall at a minimum to 8th (and possibly out of the top 10, but I'll wait till he comes back, I don't like the injury and it could be a lost year of development). I'd probably drop Mittelstadt a little. I'd drop Ratcliffe a bit. I'd probably bump PO Joseph a bit up. Tolvanen would find himself in the top 10 somewhere. On quick glance,
Why do you like Ratcliffe so much? I’ve always just seen him as a crash and bang bottom 6 guy. What’s inspired you to have him over Tolvanen and Tippett at that point?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why do you like Ratcliffe so much? I’ve always just seen him as a crash and bang bottom 6 guy. What’s inspired you to have him over Tolvanen and Tippett at that point?
He has Wheeler like tools, and played for an absolutely terrible OHL team. He was the raw guy I'd gamble on. I'd drop him now, but he's still doing decent this year. He's a very raw kid. It was a home run chance pick at that point. People I'd trust also rave about him, and they have more in-viewing of any OHL kid than anyone else I know.

Tolvanen, I'm still skeptical of his ability to create time and space on the puck at the NHL level on small ice. He'd be in my top 10, based on what he did in the KHL this year, but I still think there is risk attached.

Tippett, I'm just not a fan of. I don't like his hockey-IQ and his lack of effort to play a 200-foot game, he's a guy who depends on the rush to put up his numbers. He reminds me of Evander Kane with less effort and grit. He generates shot attempts, but I don't think he thinks the game well enough to excel at the next level once his physical attributes advantage dissipates. He plays with a single track mind that I find infuriating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad