If the 2017 NHL Draft Happened Today...

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Vesalainen's value must have increased a bit, maybe top 20?

After a slow start he was leading his team in scoring until a recent injury. I think he will be dominant for Finland the WJC.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Much harder league is not that true. They’re both pro leagues and Pettersson is setting records. KHL is superior, but not by a crazy amount.

I think Tolvanen was still on the pace for the record (U20) and I do consider setting KHL record more astounding than in SHL. There's a clear enough difference between the leagues. Sure there are some "meh" teams in KHL too, but it's still tougher. I'm sure if Pettersson is good enough we get to see him in the Olympics, if measuring them in the WJCs isn't enough.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

It’s not a joke, they’re both breaking records as young players(/rookies) in they’re leagues , it’s just the KHL is a better league and I think that breaks the gap in PPG, also that poll doesn’t matter because I wouldn’t doubt a majority of voters had a biased opinion and I simply believe Tolvanen is better and you can call that whatever you want but in reality it’s likely because your a fan of Petersson to some degree(Canuck Fan/ Swedish Fan)...

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
It’s not a joke, they’re both breaking records as young players(/rookies) in they’re leagues , it’s just the KHL is a better league and I think that breaks the gap in PPG, also that poll doesn’t matter because I wouldn’t doubt a majority of voters had a biased opinion and I simply believe Tolvanen is better and you can call that whatever you want but in reality it’s likely because your a fan of Petersson to some degree(Canuck Fan/ Swedish Fan)...
Breaking records while not even go ppg...and khl is overrated. Linden vey is a superstar in that watererd down league. 27 teams some of them downright awful while SHL has 14 teams
Pettersson is waaaaaaay better

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Breaking records while not even go ppg...and khl is overrated. Linden vey is a superstar in that watererd down league. 27 teams some of them downright awful while SHL has 14 teams

Lol we are not talking about Lined Vey or the amount of teams in theyre leagues(even though KHL is more NHL like and players have to play different type teams with different challenges every game). It’s a simple fact that the KHL is a more difficult league than the SHL.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Lol we are not talking about Lined Vey or the amount of teams in theyre leagues(even though KHL is more NHL like and players have to play different type teams with different challenges every game). It’s a simple fact that the KHL is a more difficult league than the SHL.
The difference isnt as big as you think. Most russian teams are good but it also have some lol teams. Nice myth though.
Going 1.36 ppg in shl is more impressive then 0.80 ppg in khl.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lol anybody who doesn’t have Nico at #1 they’re jumping the ball or they’re biased.

1. Hischier
2. Heiskanen
3. Tolvanen
4. Pettersson
5. Chythil

There’s my Top 5...

Yeah that is nuts. In five years it might change once they all get into the NHL, but right now the the kid succeeding in the NHL gets precedent over success in lesser leagues.

Just how it goes.

Reactions: My3Sons

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
The difference isnt as big as you think. Most russian teams are good but it also have some lol teams. Nice myth though.
Going 1.36 ppg in shl is more impressive then 0.80 ppg in khl.

Where is the myth? KHL is better, there’s no myth to that. If you disagree make a poll for it and I’m sure you will not get the answer you prefer.

I watch Tolvanen and I see an Elite shot, I mean in the past 3 years Internationally he hasn’t gotten anything less than 1.00 PPG. And again his in a tougher league with tougher players to face and is breaking records doing so.

You can shout Linden Vey all you want but in reality he didn’t have the arsenal that Tolvanen has at his age and has learned the in’s and outs of the KHL(similar to how Chris Bourque did with the AHL and became the best AHL player who couldn’t play in the NHL)... I’d bet my ass Vey would do better in the SHL... Also don’t tell me there isn’t Lasch or Palushaj...

Trust me I hate the Predators(they have always pummeled the Jets) but as much as I want to admit it this kid is the real deal wether I, your or anyone like it or not...

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Where is the myth? KHL is better, there’s no myth to that. If you disagree make a poll for it and I’m sure you will not get the answer you prefer.

I watch Tolvanen and I see an Elite shot, I mean in the past 3 years Internationally he hasn’t gotten anything less than 1.00 PPG. And again his in a tougher league with tougher players to face and is breaking records doing so.

You can shout Linden Vey all you want but in reality he didn’t have the arsenal that Tolvanen has at his age and has learned the in’s and outs of the KHL(similar to how Chris Bourque did with the AHL and became the best AHL player who couldn’t play in the NHL)... I’d bet my ass Vey would do better in the SHL... Also don’t tell me there isn’t Lasch or Palushaj...

Trust me I hate the Predators(they have always pummeled the Jets) but as much as I want to admit it this kid is the real deal wether I, your or anyone like it or not...
Reading Comprehension man. I never said KHL wasnt better, i just said the gap isnt as big as you imply.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Reading Comprehension man. I never said KHL wasnt better, i just said the gap isnt as big as you imply.

I get that but I’m saying I believe it is that big of a gap. I’m just saying I think Tolvanen is in a more NHL-Ready League and is dominating. I feel safer with Tolvanen is what I’m saying I guess, don’t get me wrong they’re both Elite Prospects(Pettersson probably has a slightly higher ceiling) but knowing that Tolvanen can get it done in the KHL at that age is extremely impressive and shows how mature and how for real his talents are.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
A bunch of people weren't high on Rasmussen to begin with, same with Brannstrom. They were actually quite divisive, if you didn't think they were top 20 at the draft, I don't know what they've done to dramatically change your opinion.

Either way, this thread will be way too reactionary (although not as bad as it will be two weeks into January after the WJC).

Patrick is struggling, but he's still by far in the toughest league and is coming off injuries.

Unfortunately, I feel like the bolded is going to be said a lot in his career.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
SHL isn't close to KHL. You can see this when Sweden plays against Russia with players from European leagues.
SHL is close to KHL due to the fact that shl has 14 competitive teams while KHL has 27 and some real stinkers.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Vesalainen's value must have increased a bit, maybe top 20?

After a slow start he was leading his team in scoring until a recent injury. I think he will be dominant for Finland the WJC.
We hope he can be a key player after Tolvanen and Kuokkanen. He was good in U18 so he might make some noise.

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
1. Hischier
2. Heiskanen
3. Pettersson
4. Patrick
5. Yamamoto
6. Tolvanen
7. Makar
8. Glass
9. Chytil
10. Andersson
11. Jokiharju
12. Mittelstadt
13. Poehling
14. Heponiemi
15. Necas
16. Vesalainen
17. Välimäki
18. Suzuki
19. Tippett
20. Liljegren

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
1. Hischier
2. Heiskanen
3. Pettersson
4. Patrick
5. Yamamoto
6. Tolvanen
7. Makar
8. Glass
9. Chytil
10. Andersson
11. Jokiharju
12. Mittelstadt
13. Poehling
14. Heponiemi
15. Necas
16. Vesalainen
17. Välimäki
18. Suzuki
19. Tippett
20. Liljegren

You must be an Oilers fan. Yamamoto at 5 is hilarious, and I really like Yammy

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Outside of getting cut early from Team Canada, I don't see any reason Glass is falling out of the top 10. Outside of the super 3, he is probably the best player in the WHL.

I still think he can be a two-way force 1b / elite 2nd line center in the league with an outside shot at being a Johansen player.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Pettersson above Nico is laughable. There is an argument for him above Patrick for sure, but not Nico.
Why? Hischier has been impressive but it's not like he's currently lighting the NHL on fire and running away with the Calder. And, after a hot start, he's also been struggling lately, with only 2 points in his last 9. IMO, it's not "laughable" to project a player more highly than a current NHLer, just because they're currently playing oversees. Pettersson is having the best U-20 season in the history of the SHL, better than Forsberg, Naslund, Backstrom or the Sedins. What's so laughable about projecting a player like that to be an elite star player in the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad