Prospect Info: If Nylander remains a winger next year, how does our Center depth look?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This - not really sure why people are penciling Gauthier in right now. He didn't look very good in his recent call-up, and doesn't really appear to do anything really well that warrants him having an extended look.

He was fine until that last game, it wasn't a good effort but he is still young. In Detroit, Goat would be the kind of guy that gets put in when he is 24/25 yrs old typically.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He was fine until that last game, it wasn't a good effort but he is still young. In Detroit, Goat would be the kind of guy that gets put in when he is 24/25 yrs old typically.

True.

I just don't really know / see what he does well, overall.

He's decent at faceoffs, but he's not a particular good skater, or decent in his own end. He's also a pretty limited offensive player as well.

So I just don't really know what he offers right now.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I see Nylander as a Centre long term, (wonder if Marner can do it, look at Point...)

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Kadri - Brown
Soshnikov - Gauthier - Komarov ... OR ... Soshnikov - Komarov - Johnsson/Leivo

Reactions: goleafsgo88

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I see Nylander as a Centre long term, (wonder if Marner can do it, look at Point...)

ORRRR... Matthews - Tavares - Kadri - Komarov :sarcasm:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
ORRRR... Matthews - Tavares - Kadri - Komarov :sarcasm:

After 50 years of lacikng franchise centers (save Sundin), imagine this team with 2 franchise centers.

I think that Tavares will stay with the Isles, they have some really good parts there and he can stay where he knows the environment vs coming to TO where Team Overreaction is in fill force.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I would like to switch Grundstrom with Marleau. Then shelter that line until they gel. After that they could be very good.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I would like to switch Grundstrom with Marleau. Then shelter that line until they gel. After that they could be very good.
I was thinking the same thing, but I’m sure Babs would rather have a capable centre (Marleau) for him to play with, and to mentor him

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My plan would have solved this problem had I been calling the drafting shots. ;)

Hyman -- Matthews -- Nylander
Marleau -- Barzal --- Brown
Komarov -- Kadri -- Kapanen
Leivo -- Gauthier -- Soshnikov
Martin

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I was thinking the same thing, but I’m sure Babs would rather have a capable centre (Marleau) for him to play with, and to mentor him
Ya it all hinges on Babcock trust of Nylander at centre. Willie has looked good this year and he has not been replaced nearly as much this year as last and the few times he has this year I think it was more about kickstarting the 4th line that punishing Willie
A plus is both Kapanen and Grundstrom are responsible wingers and if they are together the can be sheltered

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I doubt that Goat or Aalt will ever be regular Cs in this organization. The problem for the Leafs going forward is Cs and not Ds.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
We will evidently trade for a 3rd line centre or promote internally such as Komarov. He can potentially make the switch but I don't like the centre depth of Matthews, Kadri, komarov, and Gauthier at the end of the day. Looks weak to me.

this is really really bad.

Komarov is the offense killer on the team, thank god he is a UFA and will be gone. He is pretty much useless unless he kills penalties and I have seen stats the Leafs PK is runs at the same percentage with him and without him.

Since coming off of Kadri's line, the Leafs offense has seen a resurgence. that is not a coincidence.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Yeah mayne. Something like this here: Matthews, Kadri, Lowry, Komarov. Or like Matthews, Kadri, Dubinsky, Komarov. Or something like Matthews, Kadri, Vermette, Pageau. Or something like Matthews, Kadri, Dubinsky, Pageau. Period.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Gauthier was seen as a potential 3rd line C but unfortunantly the "In Nonis we trust" movement was a catastrophe that even a "safe" pick in Gauthier doesnt look like its working out.
Hunter loves to draft skill and his "waterbugs are looking good". One needs to wonder why all this "we need to get size" when its being shown that small skates citcles around size. If your scouting department is providing your team talent like Hunter has been doing, then why do people judge on positional picks? Maybe its because those fans movements failed horribly? Its pretty easy to see that Hunter is doing a great job at pro and amateur scouting, and his drafts are looking promising as well.:wg:

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Goats offensive skill set peaked and then plateaued in his draft year, as we have seen. The Leafs hoped his skill set would continue to grow but it hasn't and those are the risks of drafting into the #20's +.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I wouldn't mind signing Bozak to a 2 year deal, as long as he takes a paycut.

As much as I want Nylander to be a C, I think it might be in this team's best interest to have him play beside Matthews for the next 15 years, and have Marner carry his own line (ala Kane).

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Gauthier was seen as a potential 3rd line C but unfortunantly the "In Nonis we trust" movement was a catastrophe that even a "safe" pick in Gauthier doesnt look like its working out.
Hunter loves to draft skill and his "waterbugs are looking good". One needs to wonder why all this "we need to get size" when its being shown that small skates citcles around size. If your scouting department is providing your team talent like Hunter has been doing, then why do people judge on positional picks? Maybe its because those fans movements failed horribly? Its pretty easy to see that Hunter is doing a great job at pro and amateur scouting, and his drafts are looking promising as well.:wg:

I love the skill but I have seen Mitch knocked off his skates way too often. We don't need any more blue smurfs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wouldn't mind signing Bozak to a 2 year deal, as long as he takes a paycut.

As much as I want Nylander to be a C, I think it might be in this team's best interest to have him play beside Matthews for the next 15 years, and have Marner carry his own line (ala Kane).

Please no. There are better options that will allow Willie and Matty to play together.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Anybody think we've got a legitimate shot at Tavares?

I really think so. Not just wishful thinking either. This isn't like Stamkos where the Leafs were a 30th place team selling a vision. The Leafs now have a legit young superstar core in the making and everyone knows it. If he wants to come home to try to win a cup, now is the time. It's a hard sell for the Isles to convince Tavares that they will win a cup during the remainder of his prime years if they miss the playoffs again.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Anybody think we've got a legitimate shot at Tavares?

Not really.

1) he likely resigns in NYC
2) In the unlikely situation he leaves for another team, i strongly suspect the Leafs would be out-bid by GMs willing to offer him more money, ie 12+ million.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Please no. There are better options that will allow Willie and Matty to play together.

I don't mind Bozak. He's not very good in transition and very bad defensively, but he works well with offensive wingers and puts up points himself.

We're spoiled with him as our 3C as there are many teams that have to suffer with garbage players. There's no internal upgrade for him, but there also is no obvious potential FA we can sign that can replace his production at his price or less. I mean, we'd be looking at guys like Plekanec, Eller, and Filppula who are all worse. Backlund would be nice, but are you willing to spend $5-6M on your 3C?

I'd like even less going into next season like Pittsburgh using Gregg McKegg as their 3C, or trading good assets in a position of weakness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad